Max.Wallace
NuckaBlitz

The American press has been bought.

Max.Wallace

Pro

By non profit status. 501c3 should be rejected for all news agencies, they are only free for themselves.
NuckaBlitz

Con

News companies would never exist if the government began taxing their revenue. They don't pull in the kind of advertisement money or ratings that other types of media can.

Also, taxation of news companies would result in a government power over their profitability. That's not good at all. If the government applies our 90,000 page tax code to the news companies, the legal fees involved alone will be crippling to all news companies including smaller ones. It'll adversely effect the free market for journalism and completely destroy the freedom of news broadcasting that we currently have.

It's such a bad idea to tax news companies. I don't know how you could possibly believe that being tax-exempt could create government influence. It aims directly at preventing government influence of the media through bribery.

Also, if you're concerned about the influence government has over the media, you should be primarily concerned that they have direct authority to contain stories that involve government secrets (at a time when it seems as though everything our government does is secret, including the way they influence and utilize our corporations for surveillance and cyber-espionage. This, of course, is completely necessary for the government to protect us. Not only from terrorism, but also from ourselves.
Max.Wallace

Pro

Tell us what about you causes the need for protection from yourself. I don't want the same welfare that you do.
NuckaBlitz

Con

Not me, personally. The public, as a whole, does need protection from itself. Certain measures must be taken to control the media and keep them from unintentionally rewarding murderers with attention.
Certain amounts of privacy must be given up to allow the government to catch people like Cliven Bundy before he can succeed in creating a militia to insight civil war.
It's impossible to argue that we wouldn't be better off if the government were able to extinguish these types of fires before they get a chance to do any damage.
Max.Wallace

Pro

Are you from China? Be honest now.
NuckaBlitz

Con

I don't going dignifying that racially charged remark is conducive of a good debate, but I'll indulge you.

For the record, I'm American and I've served and I'm currently performing civil control operations for public protection in these dangerous times.