trawson55
BangBang-Coconut

The Arts needs to be established as important for ever child of any age for public/private schools!

Started: 12/11/2011 Category: Arts

trawson55

Pro

Resolved: The Arts need to be established as important for every child of any age for public/private schools!

1. Pro will argue first in ever round and Con will argue second in every round
2. Be respectful in your arguments, never putting down the other debater for what/how they say something
3. Do your best and make your point

Now for my argument:

The Arts are important for every child. They help kids with their social skills such as with Theatre or expressing their feelings better like a lot of people do through Art. Not being exposed to the Arts drags you down a lot in the world and in a sense cripples you.

Yeah, schools do teach Arts based classes like Theatre and Art, but its not stressed enough like it should be. I myself have been in Theatre for 4 years now and I can see how much it has improved my people skills and my social skills in general. I now have a job as a cashier that I KNOW if I had never taken Theatre or been exposed to any kind of Art I would never have had due to the fact that I would still be extraordinarily shy! The Arts help kids a lot and schools don't seem to be taking them seriously! This needs to change for the good of all children!
BangBang-Coconut

Con

I thank my opponent for instigating such a debate! I love to debate topics like these that are not only about something with which I am very passionate (art!), but also is something which is not often debated. That said, I hereby negate the Resolved: The Arts need to be established as important for every child of any age for public/private schools!

Now before getting direct into the Con's constructive arguments, I would like to offer some framework for the round in general, as well as some personal observations.

obs 1: The resolution states "established as important". We must therefore take this to understand that in order for the Pro to win, they cannot simply establish that the arts should be maintained through public and private school, but something that must be established something very important.

obs 2: Since the resolution says "of any age" the pro must advocate their stance beyond just compulsory education, but secondary education (college and graduate school) as well.

these two things stated, I will move onto my arguments.

1. Magnitude-

First when look to the arts, it absolutely cannot be denied that they are a crucial part of any society. For most of us, simply going throughout our day exposes the importance art has in our lives. Whether it's the fact we are drawn in by a well made product label, are enjoying out favorite song on the radio, or are at home, sitting on the couch watching a good movie. However that same realization brings something else to light, that art is everywhere. For most, it is not necessary to have to take a class in the arts to be able to appreciate, or even produce art. Whereas things such as Math, History, Science, and Language Arts do not have these same benefits. Without a heavy emphasis on these subjects in schools, many would never learn what the needed to.
In fact, when weighing in the importance of these subjects, the vast majority of students would greatly benefit from having more time focused on any one of these subjects in greater portion. Not to mention that a good deal of the contents of their history and language arts classes would deal with plenty of art.
Furthermore if there is any one subject that ought to be focused on with greater intensity, it should be the technology classes before anything else. As I have already show, the arts already have a good standing in education as it is.

2. Cost-

I will be brief here, schools are already broke, and may districts are struggling to keep elective art classes in the first place. Trying to place an ever greater emphasis on the arts in the status quo would be dang near impossible.

3. Interest-

This point will be both a constructive argument or the Con, as well as a rebuttal point for the Pro.
Many people couldn't care less about the arts. The mandatory 1 year credit most high schools and colleges require to be able to graduate in the first place are plenty enough for them. And even in that many students tend to slack off for lack of interest. Forcing anything down their throats beyond what is already required in the statue quo would be a waste of time and money.
Furthermore, looking not only at the interest of those forced to pursue further art education, but of those who willing pursue greater levels of art education, they receive much of the flack here. I speak from experience. I have always love art, and even still drawing is a passion I hold very deeply, however I have never been in an art class I liked. Nor have I ever learned anything from an art class. I am currently a senior, and for the first time since 5th grade, I am not taking an art class. I became sick of my classes being filled with kids who wanted to treat upper level art classes as blow-off classes, and accordingly wasted much of my time. The teacher was overwhelmed by the size of her classes, and had to spend much of her time on housekeeping duties and making sure kids weren't wasting supplies instead of actually teaching any advanced techniques. In fact I would go so far as to advocate abolishing any need to have an art credit to graduate so that those who sincerely wished to take an art class could have more 1 on 1 time with their teacher.
Now then moving onto my opponent's statements; I agree theater definitely teaches a person confidence. However, so does debate, FFA, Ag Mech, and Athletics. I myself am well versed in speech and debate educations, so I understand where my opponent is coming from when she speaks about theater giving her confidence. However this is not true for every-one. And I cannot stress enough how miserable I have been in many of the speech and debate classes I have been in because of students who where only thee for a credit. It is much better to allow these students to choose their elective classes freely, so that students with a sincere interest in a certain subject may pursue their own interest.

4. Private/Magnet schools-
Are not under any universal obligation regarding their curriculum. This is especially true for magnet schools since students who attend these schools wish to focus their studies in a specific area.

5. Colleges-
Students should not have to pay for an extra art class they don't want to take. especially if it isn't a part of their major.
trawson55

Pro

lol thank you for accepting the challenge, and by the way, I am not a girl haha! No offense taken!

Now as I do agree that many kids in these Arts classes do not wish to be there, I am not stating that they will have to be forced to take these classes, I am merely stating that there needs to be a greater importance of the Arts. so many people take it too lightly that soon its all going to vanish no matter how hard some people like myself and my opponent try to keep it around through influence and creativity. There are too many kids these days who don't see the true meaning of art, but rather who has the greater technology and who can text the fastest. Music is one of the worlds greatest forms of art, and you can see clearly which direction it is headed with today's generations. Rap music is now close to if not already the #1 music listened to, and it is not what I would call art. If you would excuse the language, Rap music is mostly about sex, drugs, alcohol, gang violence, and other forms of inappropriate content, and the average teen listens to it day after day, night after night. Its no wonder gang violence is as high as it is what with the "Rap" singers are singing about. This is but an example showing where the arts are going right now.

Now as I do agree with Con that kids should only take the Arts classes if they want, this debate is about if it should be deemed as important as Math, Reading, Science, and History, and I think it should as it is a huge part of how this world became what is is. The Renaissance was a huge discovery of art, and it is slowly deteriorating. We need to place a bigger emphasis on the Arts so we can rebuild while we can. What's going to happen in 20 years when the Arts are totally thrown out of schools because people don't see the need of them? I see people daily at school or at work that have obviously never been exposed to the Arts, and I can see the difference. I am lucky that I have a passion for such arts as Theatre, because it has taught me that you cant go through this world following what everyone else is doing, that you have to be strong and resolute, and what I'm strong and resolute about is the Arts.

If I cant show the importance of the arts to the spectators of the debate and also my fellow opponent (though I believe he agrees that the Arts are important as he has stated that he has been drawing for about 5-6 years) then I don't know what to say. I believe the Arts are more important than Math, than Science and reading and history, because it doesn't just show you what your going to need to make a living, it shows you that you should live by what you enjoy and what makes you happy.

With this argument I urge you to vote Pro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BangBang-Coconut

Con

(Please play the filthy rap music while reading my rebuttals~)

Well first off, allow me to apologize for my painfully awkward mistake of gender. I should have checked your profile instead of just assuming, or writing mindlessly.

Now that said I will move onto my opponent's refutation.

First as a general overview, I would like to point out that my opponent is blantantly disregarding not only my own arguments, but an entire genre of music based on personal preference. While urban art, and the art which takes place outside of the classroom may not be my opponent's forte, nor something which leaves a pleasant taste in his mouth, it must not simply be disregarded.

That's how hipsters are born people.

But more importantly than that, but through my opponent's refutation we see the arrogance and pride complex that established are institutes create among it's members. Art is no longer art. It can no longer be taken on the merits of what it is, but instead is ranked based on the tastes of those with degrees. Thus the true purpose of at is lost in the first place.
Furthermore, art does not cease to be art because of the meaning or influence behind it. Just in the same way a person does not cease to be a person because of their moral code, or agenda. Rap music is vulgar? It inspires gang violence? Not only is this statement a blatant ad hominem, but it does degrees to refute my opponent's intention.

As for the latter half of my opponent's arguments, please extend my prior arguments in which I have already discussed this issue. The have not been refuted, or even recognized.
trawson55

Pro

I do apologize for the use of Rap music in my argument as a negative. Another debate i am in has changed that view.

I also now see that there are plenty of forms of art out there other than school. Music is listened to every day, inspiring and influencing, museums that carry artwork inspire and influence. I would like to forfeit as both with Cons argument and a new perspective from recent debates have made me change my mind about many things.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

Extend please~
trawson55

Pro

trawson55 forfeited this round.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

BangBang-Coconut forfeited this round.
Posted by trawson55 5 years ago
trawson55
After the challenge timer had run out i decided to change the resolution to something else a little more specific!
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Since people aren't accepting due to the resolution, I'll give some suggestions.

Might want to make it clear if you're talking about public school, private school or both.
You could write what the average payment for a teacher is per hour and debate whether that is too much or too little.

Possible resolution: [insert $/hour] is not enough payment for a teacher. [and specify what type of teacher]
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
I won't be accepting this because I've realized I wouldn't have time to post at least the first round (plus caveats reasons). I've got allot of school today, will be gone most of tomorrow. Have a Christmas party on Saturday, and have church and homework on Sunday.
Posted by caveat 5 years ago
caveat
I'm still reluctant to take this even after your changes :P

There is no baseline nor point of comparison for the word "higher". I suggest you define this in relation to a pay grade, location (where statistics are readily available), or something to that effect.

I doubt anybody will take this without defining heavily tilted conditions such as "higher" = "higher than $0/hr".
Posted by trawson55 5 years ago
trawson55
Yes i do apologize for the vagueness of my resolution. I was in a hurry and did not elaborate as i should have. I have changed it now to reflect what i mean! Hope you enjoy watching/debating, and leave comments about the arguments to help out! Thanks:D
Posted by caveat 5 years ago
caveat
Also, country?
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
That's very vague. I want to accept this debate, but you never clarified what type of teachers you mean. There are literally hundreds of types of teachers. Do you mean public high-school teachers?