bulldogs2k16
MilesEdgeworth10

The Assassin's Creed series needs a modern day protagonist

bulldogs2k16

Pro

I am a big fan of the Assassin's Creed series and I have been playing all of the main console games since Altair's first attempt on Robert de Sable's life. While I have loved all of the games since, some stand out more to me than others simply because I actually feel what they go through since I am not a Renaissance rogue that can bed all the women or a Victorian gang leader with all of the swagger on planet earth. Instead, I'm just a regular person living in modern times. Not all of us loved Desmond but I believe he was the rallying cry for all of us to keep fighting the templar threat since we could always die in the simulation and come back and give it another go. Having a modern day counterpart with a good story is just as compelling as having the greatest assassin defeating the greatest templar in any game. I believe that it is time for developers to return to the modern day with a set character with a set face.
MilesEdgeworth10

Con

Alright, first of all I'm glad to debate you on a gaming issue. I've been waiting a while to do one. I also must say, I'm not a huge AC fan. I despise the original (the original is actually my least favorite game ever, not counting shovelware trash) and unity. I have played some of AC2 and like it and I haven't played AC4 but it looks good. What I'm trying to say even though I have little AC experience, I still know having a modern protagonist would be a disaster for AC. The whole point of AC is to go back to olden times and put yourself in the role of an assassin and immerse yourself in the world you are in. It would look pretty dumb to have an assassin running around in Times Square or a modern day location, as the assassins are meant to be in olden times, not modern day. Also, the one time AC has had a modern day protagonist is Desmond and I can say with certainty, I dreaded every single Desmond part as they had no action, were slow, and consisted of a cutscene, you looking at a computer, and going in your room (in AC1 at least). We do not need that again. So to sum it up, a modern day protagonist in AC would be horrible because it wouldn't make sense in the time period, it would look really dumb, and the gameplay would be pretty piss poor. If you really want a modern-day Ubisoft game, look to Watch Dogs or a new IP.
bulldogs2k16

Pro

This is my first debate and I am glad that I am doing this on something I am passionate about. Assassin's creed is about modern day assassins fighting modern day Templars using the animus to find first civ relics so they can have a leg up on the other. I am not saying that the game should be centered around this modern day protagonist but I believe that a new modern day protagonist would help advance the story aside from the occasional glimpse through videos and snippets of information every other break in action. I do agree that some of Desmond's story was slow and boring compared to playing as his ancestors but that doesn't have to be the case with the new protagonist. I will be honest in saying that while I liked the idea of Ubisoft making us the "protagonists" after Desmond's death, I also felt it was rather lazy and lacking some story depth. How fishy would it be if all of a sudden millions of people got hired to work for abstergo like in AC4. It's time for someone to take charge and put an end to the Templars and Juno.
MilesEdgeworth10

Con

MilesEdgeworth10 forfeited this round.
bulldogs2k16

Pro

bulldogs2k16 forfeited this round.
MilesEdgeworth10

Con

MilesEdgeworth10 forfeited this round.
Posted by bulldogs2k16 1 year ago
bulldogs2k16
Regardless of if I win or lose I am glad to speak my mind on something I am passionate about and to actually have someone listen and share their views. Best of luck to my opponent
Posted by MilesEdgeworth10 1 year ago
MilesEdgeworth10
Glad to take you on in the debate