Raquib
Zarroette

The (Australian) national curriculum should teach 'Australian Values'

Zarroette

Raquib

Con

Aussie schools can try to teach children Australian Values to children, but we must remember that values cannot be learnt from textbooks or by the teacher telling them. Most children tend to copy what adults or their role models do. For example, if a teacher or student is kind, polite and respectful towards others, a child has already learnt some basic values. So the best way to teach kids Australian values is by acting by them.
Zarroette

Pro

I thank Raquib for the opportunity to debate this important topic.

Confusion with the term ‘teach’

I argue that it is possible to teach students values through both teacher and curriculum. The curriculum is a guide for teachers. It outlines requirements to be taught. So, in order to help ensure that Australian Values are being taught, these should be placed into the curriculum.

My opponent’s criticism comes about by assuming that because Australian Values cannot be taught effectively via only the curriculum (i.e. a teacher is required to teach; just staring at Australian Values will not help children), that they should not be in the curriculum because of this. The mistake comes from assuming that teachers and the curriculum cannot work in tandem to instil Australian Values within students.

‘Values must be explicitly articulated and explicitly taught.’

This quote is taken from ‘Implementing the National Framework for Values Education in Australian Schools: Report of the Values Education Good Practice Schools Project – Stage 1’ [1]. The report further suggests, on page 9, that, “The Good Practice Schools Project experiences support the conclusion that effective values education involves the explicit articulation and explicit teaching of the values.” This sentiment is furthered echoed by an official Australian curriculum report, released by the Australian Government [2].

My opponent is arguing against the explicit teaching of values, rather, he/she is arguing for implicit teaching. The explicit teaching makes sure that values are taught, or else they could be seen as an “add-on” component, and as a result, potentially be missed in teaching. It is of no question whether these values should be taught, but my opponent’s suggested method contradicts the conclusions found in education reports, the reports being accepted as true by no less than the Australian Government. It’s not that my opponent’s suggested method is bad, it’s just that it’s not the best.

Brief Conclusion

Australian Values can be taught via teachers, through the help of a curriculum, and this has proven to be beneficial.

Sources/ References

[1]http://www.valueseducation.edu.au...

[2]http://www.valueseducation.edu.au...

Raquib

Con

Hey, I need some help with a debate I am going to do very soon. Could you come up with some arguments for my side? Thanks.
Zarroette

Pro

Maybe at the end of this debate.

Extend my arguments.
Raquib

Con

Please? I need one quick.
Zarroette

Pro

I didn't accept this debate so that I could give you free arguments, ones that you could potentially use them against me. Again, once this debate is finished, I might give you some points.

Extend my arguments.
Raquib

Con

Raquib forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Pro

Extend my arguments.
Raquib

Con

Raquib forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Pro

My opponent has failed to respond to my counter-arguments, hence they stand.
Posted by Kc1999 3 years ago
Kc1999
Yeh con, a debate is not a homework help session.
Posted by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
Yes -- debate.
Posted by Kc1999 3 years ago
Kc1999
Lol...funny....debate..
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
RaquibZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not bring up arguments after R1 and forfeited. All seven points directly to Pro.