ThatRepublicanGuy
Ronhawk

The BIble is not fiction

ThatRepublicanGuy

Pro

The Resolve: The Bible is not fiction
I am in favor of the resolved, and therefore my opponent shall not be in favor of the resolve.
I would like to start off by saying the best of luck to my future opponent. I very much so hope that my opponent will not just say, "The Bible is stupid". I will be presenting information that will prove that the Bible is more than a book, through phrophocies in the Bible that has come true, and I will be showing evidence of certain stories in the Bible being real. Once again, I wish my opponent the best of luck and urge him/her to use factual information, and not opinions, to prove his side.
Ronhawk

Con

The bible is completely illogical and fiction. It is well written, but extremely vague. The vagueness is the key, it leaves itself open to interpretation, by design. Whoever authored the book certainly knew what they were doing. I feel that by even saying that you have facts to back some of the stories is condemning the book as a whole. My father would say, if it looks like a duck, it's a duck. I urge anyone to read the bible and the ask yourself, does this make any sense? The answer is no.
ThatRepublicanGuy

Pro

Thank you for taking me up on this debate, and once more, I urge my opponents to use FACTS to prove his side, and not opinions. Obviously I have read the Bible and believe that it does in fact make sense. It does not make sense scientifically, but religion is not based on science. I will start off by showing evidence of the stories in the Bible being true.
Evidence of stories in the Bible being true:
Noah's Ark - Found! The Bible says Noah's Ark landed on the mountains of Urartu (Ararat), which is modern day Eastern Turkey. If the Bible is true we should be able to find a very old boat remains in these mountains with the exact dimensions given in the Bible. In 1977 Ron Wyatt discovered these remains and the government of Turkey has recognized it as Noah's Ark and declared the area Noah's Ark National Park (see it on Google Earth!).
Sodom & Gomorrah - Found! The Bible tell us that God completely destroyed the cities of Sodom & Gomorrah (in Israel) by raining down "fire and brimstone" upon them (brimstone means sulphur). These ancient ruins have been found - with millions of sulphur pellets embedded in the ruins. These ruins, unlike anything found anywhere else in the world, are found near the Dead Sea in Israel and closely resemble the Bible narrative.
Red Sea Crossing - Found! The Bible tells us that around 3500 years ago, Moses parted the Red Sea and led the Israelites out of Egypt across to the other side. As the Egyptian chariots crossed after them in pursuit, God caused the wheels to come off the chariots and the waters to recede upon them, drowning all Pharaoh's army. The location of the crossing has been discovered, with chariot wheels, horse and human remains found scattered on the seabed.
Mt Sinai - Found! The Bible tells us that after Moses brought the Israelites across the Red Sea, the Angel of God led them to a mountain named Mt. Sinai (aka Mt. Nebo) where God descended on the mountain "in fire". Exodus says, "the smoke billowed up from the mountain like smoke from a furnace". Sounds pretty hot, so if this really happened we should be able to find a mountain in that area with a burnt and blackened top. In the Bible, the Apostle Paul tells us Mt. Sinai is in Arabia. Mt. Sinai has definitely been discovered in modern day Saudi Arabia (see it on Google Earth!).
The Shroud of Turin is a very old burial cloth with the photographic negative image of a man who had died of a Roman style scourging and crucifixion. The concept of the photographic negative was not conceived of until the 19th century. How then could anyone have faked the shroud image before anyone knew what a photographic negative is?
All of this information came straight from http://www.6000years.org..., and the links to the further explanations of each of them are in the blue words.
Next, I would like to talk about the many prophecies that the Bible has predicted that have come true.
Prophecies that have come true:
1. Jerusalem would become the world's most important religious site
Bible passage: Micah 4:1
Written: sometime between 750-686 BC
Fulfilled: Today
In Micah 4:1, the prophet said that the Temple mount in Jerusalem would become the focal point of the world. This prophecy has not yet been fulfilled. But, it is interesting to note that Jerusalem is, and has been for centuries, the world's most important religious site. Christians and Jews regard the city as the world's most important, and Christians and Jews comprise about one-third of the world's population. No other city in the world is a religious focal point to as many people.
Here is Micah 4:1
In the last days the mountain of the Lord's temple will be established as chief among the mountains; it will be raised above the hills, and peoples will stream to it.
2. Egypt would never again rule over other nations
Bible passage: Ezekiel 29:15
Written: between 593-571 BC
Fulfilled: 1967, etc.
In Ezekiel 29:15, the prophet says that Egypt would recover from a desolation (perhaps Babylon's attack about 2600 years ago), but that it would never again rule over other nations. Up until the time of Ezekiel, Egypt had been a world power for centuries, dominating many nations, including Israel. But for most of the past 2500 years, Egypt has been controlled by foreign powers, including the Romans, Ottomans and Europeans. Today, Egypt is an independent nation again. In 1948, 1967 and 1973, Egypt tried to dominate Israel but was unsuccessful each time, despite the fact that Egypt is 10 times larger than Israel. Since the time of Ezekiel, Egypt no longer rules over other nations.
Here is Ezekiel 29:15
It will be the lowliest of kingdoms and will never again exalt itself above the other nations. I will make it so weak that it will never again rule over the nations.
3. Zechariah prophesied the Jews return to Jerusalem
Bible passage: Zechariah 8:7-8
Written: between 520 and 518 BC
Fulfilled: 1967, etc.
In Zechariah 8:7-8, the prophet said God would bring the Jews back from the east and the west to their homeland (Israel) and that they would be able to live in the city of Jerusalem again. This prophecy has been fulfilled more than once. About 2600 years ago, Babylon destroyed Jerusalem and took many Jews as captives to Babylon. But many Jews later returned from Babylon. The Jews rebuilt Jerusalem but the city was destroyed about 1900 years ago by the Romans. The Romans killed more than 1 million Jews and forced many more into exile. The Jews did not have control of Jerusalem again until 1967 when the Jews recaptured the city during the Six Day War.
Here is Zechariah 8:7-8
This is what the Lord Almighty says: "I will save my people from the countries of the east and the west. I will bring them back to live in Jerusalem; they will be my people, and I will be faithful and righteous to them as their God."

4. Israel's deserts will become like the Garden of Eden
Bible passage: Isaiah 51:3
Written: perhaps between 701-681 BC
Fulfilled: Being fulfilled now
In Isaiah 51:3, the prophet said that God will restore Israel and make it a paradise, like the garden of Eden. This foreshadows what is currently happening in Israel. The Jews have been irrigating, cultivating and reconditioning the land during much of the 1900s. Many of the country's swamps, which had been infested with malaria, have been converted into farmland. And water from the Sea of Galilee has been channeled through portions of the deserts, allowing some of the deserts to bloom. Much work remains, but parts of Israel are blooming again. Although it was described as a wasteland as recently as the late 1800s, Israel is now a food source for many countries. And at least 200 million of trees have been planted there during the past century.
Here is Isaiah 51:3
The Lord will surely comfort Zion and will look with compassion on all her ruins; he will make her deserts like Eden, her wastelands like the garden of the Lord. Joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and the sound of singing.
5. Isaiah foretold of the worldwide return of Jews to Israel
Bible passage: Isaiah 43:5-6
Written: perhaps between 701-681 BC
Fulfilled: late 1900s
In Isaiah 43:5-6, the prophet Isaiah said that the Jews would return to their homeland from the east, the west, the north and the south. Isaiah lived about 2700 years ago. At that time, the Assyrians had forced many Jews in the northern kingdom of Israel into exile. Those Jews were taken to other areas in the Middle East. Then, about 1900 years ago, the Romans destroyed the city of Jerusalem and killed and exiled hundreds of thousands of Jews. Since then, the Jews have been scattered to virtually every country in the world. But, during the past century, millions of Jews have returned to Israel, from the east, the west, the north and the south.
From the east: Many Jews living in the Middle East moved to Israel by the early 1900s.
From the west: During mid-1900s, hundreds of thousands of Jews living in the West (Europe and the United States) began moving to Israel.
From the north: The former Soviet Union (Russia) is north of Israel. It refused to allow its Jewish residents to move to Israel. But, after years of pressure from other countries, Russia finally began to allow Jews to return to Israel during the 1980s. So far, hundreds of thousands of Russian Jews have moved to Israel.
From the south: Ethiopia, which is south of Israel, also refused to allow its Jews to return to Israel. But, in 1985, Israel struck a deal with Ethiopia's communist government to allow the Jews of Ethiopia to move to Israel. On the weekend of May 25, 1991, 14,500 Ethiopian Jews were airlifted to Israel.
Isaiah's prophecy was also correct in saying that the north (Russia) and the south (Ethiopia) would have to be persuaded to give up their Jews. Many countries pressured Russia for years before it began to allow its Jews to leave. And Ethiopia had to be paid a ransom to allow its Jews to leave.
Isaiah's prophecy was also correct in saying that the Jews would return "from the ends of the earth," and Isaiah said that many centuries before the Jews had been scattered to the ends of the earth. During the past 100 years, Jews living as far east as China, as far west as the West Coast of the United States, as far north as Scandinavia, and as far south as South Africa, have moved to Israel.
Here is Isaiah 43:5-6
"Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west. I will say to the north, `Give them up!' and to the south, `Do not hold them back.' Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth"
My source for this information is http://www.therefinersfire.org....
Due to the lack of more characters that I am allowed to type, I leave my opponent with this:
What actual evidence do you have disproving the stories in the Bible? It seems like the con side's arguments are opinionated and not supported by facts. Good luck to my opponent.
Ronhawk

Con

Ronhawk forfeited this round.
ThatRepublicanGuy

Pro

Since my opponent has forfeited this round, I believe that he now agrees with the resolve.
Ronhawk

Con

None of the stories you explained are fact. People of faith will twist anything into proof of their religion. You sir, are debating a topic that is not true. Noahs ark? 2 animals of every species on earth? Where did they poop? How does a lion and a gazelle get along? Moses parting the red sea? Jonah survived being eaten by a whale? The bible certainly is interesting, but obviously not true. Faith and reality are vastly different!
Posted by ThatRepublicanGuy 3 years ago
ThatRepublicanGuy
Shut up Joe! The odds are too low! LOL
Posted by ThatFerderalistGuy 3 years ago
ThatFerderalistGuy
Many of the points given by thatrepublicanguy may very well be just coincidence.