The BSA Should Allow Homosexuals

Resolved: The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) should allow homosexuals to be Scouts and leaders.

The only word that I really think needs to be explicitly defined here is

Should- a moral obligation or duty. In saying that the BSA should do something, I am not saying that they are legally required to do something. I am merely arguing that morally, they ought to do something.

Rules and Such Things:

1. Pro has the burden of proof in this debate, however Con must successfully refute Pro’s arguments to win the debate. Insufficient argumentation from Pro without Con pointing out any flaws does not grant Con a win.
  2. The first round is for acceptance. Clarifications regarding the resolution, definitions, or any other preliminary matters should be brought up in the comments before accepting the debate.
  3. No abusive and/or semantically abusive arguments.
  4. Drops shall count as concessions.
  5. No new arguments in the final round.

Everything sounds good. I look forward to it.

I’d like to thank JeremyMcNamee for accepting this debate and allowing us to continue our previous conversation on this subject that occurred in the Opinions section.

Moral standards are standards that are decided upon by our society to enable us to choose between two options. In cases of determining whether discrimination is justified, our society has established the use of an evaluation of Justice. Merriam-Webster Online provides a definition for justice as: “the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments.” [1] In Aristotle’s words, treating equals as equals and unequals as unequals. [2]

A preliminary question:
Would my opponent consider it morally acceptable for the BSA to exclude a black person because of his race?

If the question is answered using Justice as our standard, the answer is clearly no. Black and white people are equally capable of being scouts and leaders, therefore treating them unequally is unjust.

So then, I ask the question:

Why does my opponent consider it acceptable for the BSA to discriminate against the inclusion of homosexuals?

Homosexuals and heterosexuals are equally capable to function as scouts and leaders, therefore treating them unequally is unjust, and by extension, not morally acceptable.

This is the basic reason why I consider the affirmation of the resolution to be superior to its negation.

Now, the current reason given by the BSA for their discrimination is the part of the Scout Pledge that pertains to a scout being morally straight [3]. It is important to note that it says morally straight, not sexually straight. So what this justification is saying is that homosexuality is morally crooked. However, I see no reason to consider homosexuality, or more specifically homosexual acts, immoral. Additionally, if one wishes to claim that homosexual acts are immoral, it would be unjust to refrain from making the same claim about heterosexual acts of the same nature (i.e. oral sex, etc.)

That is all I really have to say at this point, so I’ll turn it over to my opponent.

JeremyMcNamee forfeited this round.

JeremyMcNamee forfeited this round.

As documented in the comments, my opponent has been unable to participate in this debate, so let's make this a tie I suppose.

JeremyMcNamee forfeited this round.
Posted by Magicr 3 years ago
That's okay. We can restart.
Posted by JeremyMcNamee 3 years ago
Jeez dude, I really apologize I just flew to Colorado and don't have the time to post my debate. I hate making a debator spend time and energy for a waste but I won't be able to have this debate at this time. I will be home in a week.
Posted by drhead 3 years ago
This debate will certainly turn out interestingly. I look forward to seeing it develop.