thatkiidsean
blorance

The Baltimore police are responsible for the death of Freddie Grey.

Started: 4/28/2015 Category: News

thatkiidsean

Pro

I want to make clear that I do not think this is an issue of race -- this is an issue of police brutality and unethical police conduct and treatment.

With that said, I believe the Baltimore police are responsible for the untimely death of Freddie Grey. While there are still many unknown facts about the death itself, what is certain is that he had a cervical spine injury prior to his arrest. But the severing of the spine was caused while he was in the van heading to the police station. A lack of care taken by the cops by not providing for him immediate medical attention is unethical and is a big part of Grey's death. Whatever Grey may have done, video evidence shows that he was injured, and the cops did nothing to treat him.
blorance

Con

I'm going to debate this simply because your argument for the "Baltimore Police Department". First off, it was not the entire police department that committed this act. If you read the full story and get facts straight before saying the police department did this as a whole, you will see that this act was committed only by the responding officers. Mainly in this situation, the first officer on the scene is full a adrenaline and rage from chasing down a criminal, that they sometimes forget to follow protocol. In this situation the first responding police officer is in charge of the scene until a superior commander reports to the scene. Therefore, this ACCIDENT was caused by a young police officer who forgot how to handle his job properly.
thatkiidsean

Pro

thatkiidsean forfeited this round.
blorance

Con

The coroner came out with the verdict that the death resulting injury was spinal related. After looking at the video posted by a bystander on the street, you could clearly see that the police officers that were putting him in the van were following correct protocol. He was being detained by officers holding his arms behind him in a professional manner, as well as swiftly taking Mr. Gray from the public eye and putting him into the police van.
In situations like this it is hard to tell exactly what happened to Mr. Gray. However, when this case does reach a federal court in a criminal case, the jury and the judge will have to dismiss the case due to a lack of evidence. There was no clear evidence that Mr. Gray was harmed by the officers. I would like to think to myself if I was one of those officers, I would not kill an innocent man in front of a crowd of people. I know humans do some crazy things, however this is a very rationale situation by the police officers by DOING THEIR JOB.
Yes, the officers may have been a little rough in handling Mr. Gray and putting him into the van, but why should the officers be arrested? If this is that case for "being too rough", then lets go back to the 1970's and arrest every teach that paddled students for doing something bad. This entire case is a big accident that was never meant to happen. America needs to get over the whole media attacking police forces, because this country could simply go into Marshall Law, and the federal government would control all.
thatkiidsean

Pro

thatkiidsean forfeited this round.
blorance

Con

In conclusion the death of Freddie grey was an accident and the officers are to some point held responsible for a possible injury of Freddie grey. However in a court of law they have little evidence to prove that the officers did injure him and as well the officers were doing their sole responsibility of protecting the people not so much the person.
Posted by FreedomBeforeEquality 2 years ago
FreedomBeforeEquality
You guys should finish this debate before the final verdict comes out. That way we can berate the idiot that stuck up for Freddie out of ignorance.
FreedomBeforeEquality
Yep, you should wait till all the facts come out. Just today they found that he had an injury by a bolt in the van sidewall while a prisoner attested to the fact that Freddie was flailing around and slamming the walls inside the van while being transported, trying to injure himself. Apparently he succeeded.
Posted by torger597 2 years ago
torger597
Impossible to debate this until ALL evidence comes into play, otherwise we're just throwing biased sources at each other.
Posted by Nivek 2 years ago
Nivek
"Tracy william, You need to find Avon Barksdale & Marlo so they can straignten that shvt out for you!, I'm just kidding man" ~Auntie Fee

Just thought I'd share her show. Her potato salad are a beast, and her dumb mac and cheese is the tastiest thing I've ever eaten.
Posted by tokitoki 2 years ago
tokitoki
To the recent people commenting: different news outlets spin it differently. you both saw the same story, spun a different way.
Posted by ColeTrain 2 years ago
ColeTrain
The whole thing is twisted. Lol. everything just goes crazy when this happens.
Posted by thatkiidsean 2 years ago
thatkiidsean
Lee001: I have, and from what I've read, the police never buckled him into the van and never gave him medical attention in a timely manner. Have YOU read the full story?
Posted by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
It was not miss-treatment! jeez. Read the full story.