lawrencen4
DoctorDeku

The Banking Concept of Education is Oppressive.

DoctorDeku

lawrencen4

Pro

The Banking Concept of Education is fueled by the idea that the students know nothing, and the teacher must deposit information into them. Paolo Freire believed that "Education thus becomes an act of depositing, in which the students are the depositories and the teacher is the depositor. Instead of communicating, the teacher issues communiques and makes deposits which the students patiently receive, memorize, and repeat." Freire goes on to state "Projecting an absolute ignorance onto others, a characteristic of the ideology of oppression, negates education and knowledge as processes of inquiry. " Who is to say that the students canvas is blank? they have lived, and experienced things as humans that they can offer, and draw from to better facilitate the use of information being taught. Freire takes takes value in the mind of the individual, therefore acknowledging a unique set of information that may be of importance to them.
DoctorDeku

Con

Id like to start this debate by thanking my opponent for posing such an interesting and insightful resolution! As both a current University Student, as well as an Education major this is a subject that I am very interested in.

Let it be known however that the time limit for this debate is only 10 minutes per round. Therefore I ask that the voters excuse any grammatical errors which are the result of my hurried typing.

As a brief roadmap I will first negate my opponent"s provided arguments and the move on to present a few arguments of my own.

Refutation
1. The warrants to my opponent"s argument(s) are only the opinions of a single man which he has failed to even qualify. What makes the opinions of Friero valid to us, and why should we care what he has to say? At the point that we realize there is no warrant here, you disregard my opponent"s argument and default Con.

2. Even in theory, my opponent"s argument only applies to the arts. For example, while I certainly have live experiences that shape who I am and how I think, I"m not going to be able to do much of anything is more technical class such as science or math unless my professor teaches me the correct method. I ask that the voters pay careful attention to this argument specifically as it will be central focus of my own arguments as well.

3. Philosophy, while valuable in its own right, isn"t the only goal of education. As my opponent himself has stated, these students have other experiences and will continue to have other experiences. Those who would react towards more critical thinking wouldn"t have their capacity to do so stifled by a class.

My Arguments
1. When you assume, you make an "@ss" out of "u" and "me". I currently have a Spanish professor who knows an exorbant amount about language and grammar " not just Spanish. She has two masters degrees (in Spanish and French respectively) and holds a Ph.d in the philosophy of language. However when teaching she often makes assumptions about what her students understand, and her lectures end up being very difficult to understand. For her, it is second nature to understand the function of preterit and imperfect verbs and their appropriate conjugations, so she doesn"t think anything of it when she only spends 5 minutes explaining a new rule.
The point here is that any good professor should assume their students know nothing when teaching them something. While some students may already understand the content based on their past experiences, not all of them will. It"s not fair that some students should be shafted due to a lack of experience.

I have like 30 seconds left, so I"ll just leave you guys with this: Vote Con!
lawrencen4

Pro

lawrencen4 forfeited this round.
lawrencen4

Pro

lawrencen4 forfeited this round.
DoctorDeku

Con

Vote Con!
Posted by Misterscruffles 3 years ago
Misterscruffles
Maybe you should hook up with that girl that keeps talking about the Catholic Church.
Posted by Misterscruffles 3 years ago
Misterscruffles
Again?
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
Lawrence: I'm guessing this topic was from your English 101/102 classes?
Posted by Alchemind 3 years ago
Alchemind
Its time for you to log out forever.
Posted by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
Oooh lookie!

Another F*CKING BANKING CONCEPT DEBATE
Posted by William.Burnham 3 years ago
William.Burnham
Don't you already have a debate with this exact same topic ongoing?
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 3 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
lawrencen4DoctorDekuTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by Misterscruffles 3 years ago
Misterscruffles
lawrencen4DoctorDekuTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF'd