kochj10
Jesus-V

The Banking Concept of Education is Oppressive

kochj10

Pro

As a student I have felt oppressed by my teacher. Not only in knowledge but in ability. In being told I was wrong or i couldn't do something puts a strain on my actual abilities and knowledge.
"His (the teacher) task is to 'fill' the students with the contents of his narration-contents which are detached from reality"
This quote from Freire explains how the knowledge being fed to the children does not help them on a social standpoint but more a knowledge "dump site" where memorization and brain wash occur. As Freire puts it, "Education thus becomes an act of depositing, in which the student are the depositories and the teacher is the depositor."
Not only do we learn from instruction, we also learn from watching. To say a student could not show a teacher how to do something is preposterous, as the famous quote goes, "we learn something new each day."
Jesus-V

Con

As a student, your role is to be a container for knowledge. As a child "lack of intergenerational information is a serious problem for the nation". (Hirsch) To say a child in a poor country has a basic knowledge of the world is a bit ludicrous, to have a basic knowledge a student must be taught and receive information. An uninformed mind can be as dangerous to the world as an invading army. "You say that "being told you were wrong or couldn't do something put a strain on your abilities"" how can you say that if at that point you were being taught something new, your questioning may have in fact impeded your ability to learn.
kochj10

Pro

You say, "An uninformed min can be as dangerous to the world as an invading army." Yet with full knowledge of his abilities and power Adolf Hitler continued his work. Men like Bundy and Manson walked the planet with the same basic knowledge that was fed to them. Becoming what they became and you are still worried of an "uninformed mind"? You were right, I was being taught something new that day. Yet it was not the lesson taught, but to remember people (teachers/ instructors) will stand in your way, and tell you how life is. I just need to remember to look around them in order to get where I"m going. In being told I could not do something, I made a point to prove that I could.
Jesus-V

Con

"You bring up "full of knowledge of his abilities and power Adolf Hitler continued his work", "men like Bundy and Manson walked the earth."" To my knowledge two of those men were or believed in fascist viewpoints and the fact that they were superior. Hirsch states, "shared information is a necessary background to true literacy" and further states, "literate culture is the most democratic culture in our land; it excludes no one; it cuts across generations and social groups and classes." A true democracy requires a shared knowledge of information, it requires everyone to have the same basic ideas how else is a student suppose to learn of society and life if they question everything and refuse to have equal knowledge. A teacher being a superior and wiser human has to impart this knowledge for it to be passed on.

kochj10

Pro

As you put it, "A true democracy requires a shared knowledge, it requires the student has the same basic ideas." This was the case when those two Fascists attended school, before the infamy, before their decisions to be misguided. But these two men are just one example, some children go through the same schooling, are fed the same information and yet the thoughts will not stick in their head. These children cannot learn this way. They soon find themselves in a career that uses no knowledge of the things they were fed in grade school, but newly acquired skills learned in college or Vocational school. This is gained through an equal "student-teacher" relationship.
The system does not work on all children, therefore the banking concept of education is oppressive.
Jesus-V

Con

The banking concept of education is a necessary concept, mainly because to have an advancing knowledge people must have the same equal and basic knowledge. As Hirsch says "the traditional form of literate culture are precisely the most effective instruments for political and social change." So for advancements in knowledge and culture and society as a whole the people must be literate and to be literate they need the banking concept of education. It is either that or lose basic concepts of our society and some history because in an age and classroom where students can question authority and lessons they'll reason that they don't need to learn the fundamentals or need to listen to someone who can teach them. The worst case scenario is a society that collapses and has no knowledge of its past, that would be a society not worth living in.