Sweatingjojo
CP

The Beatles are and were the greatest cultural occurrence of the 20th and 21st century so far.

Started: 6/24/2008 Category: Arts

Sweatingjojo

Pro

I think the Beatles are and were awesome, to the point where I feel it is the greatest thing human culture has ever witnessed in the past 108 years. Anyone who believes otherwise should take the con side.
CP

Con

Thanks for starting this debate and best of luck.

To begin, I'd like to offer up a few definitions for clarification:
______________________________________________________
Great: ADJECTIVE: Inflected forms: great´┐Żer, great´┐Żest
...
6. Of outstanding significance or importance: a great work of art.

Greatest: Superlative of "Great"
(Superlative - something has some feature to a greater degree than anything it is being compared to)

Cultural:
ADJECTIVE: Of or relating to culture or cultivation. (http://www.bartleby.com...)

Culture:
NOUN: 1a. The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts,
beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
(http://www.bartleby.com...)

Occurrence:
NOUN: 1. The action, fact, or instance of occurring. 2. Something that takes place.
(http://www.bartleby.com...)

My opponent makes the assertion that The Beatles (as more or less an event) maintain the highest level of significance or importance in human culture within the last 108 years. Thus I must negate. Given this premise, it is clear that I need only offer ONE event (occurrence) that has had a greater impact to human culture in order to win this debate.

It is clear that there have been many events which have molded and reshaped human culture more so than The Beatles. Societal behaviour patterns, arts, beliefs, and institutions have been so vastly affected by inventions and introduction into human daily life of various products. To name just a few:

1902: Large Scale, production-line manufacturing of affordable automobiles.
"As of 2002, there were 590 million passenger cars worldwide (roughly one car per eleven people).[4]"(http://en.wikipedia.org...)

1903: Invention of an Airplane able to navigate a controlled, sustainable flight. The invention of the airplane eventually lead to the revolutionization public travel, warfare, space exploration, etc.

1940's: World's first operational computer later leading to the Personal Computers we all use today.
"As of June 2008, the number of personal computers worldwide in use hit one billion, while another billion is expected to be reached by 2014"(http://en.wikipedia.org...)

1990's: Introduction of Internet to public usage
"As of March 31, 2008, 1.407 billion people use the Internet according to Internet World Stats."(http://en.wikipedia.org...)

I challenge my opponent to make a rational case in which he can objectively prove, or at least convice that audience, that The Beatles have made a GREATER impact on human culture than any of the above. So far my opponent has not substantiated this claim, and has only offered up feelings and opinions. While these are not my only contentions, I will await his retort before continuing further.
Sweatingjojo

Pro

Sweatingjojo forfeited this round.
CP

Con

Unfortunately my opponent was unable to respond, therefore I'll ask that my arguments be extended through this round. As previously stated, my opponent is in a precarious position to justify such an audacious claim.
Sweatingjojo

Pro

Sweatingjojo forfeited this round.
CP

Con

My opponent has failed to post a reply, and in doing so has not substantiated his original claim (opinion). It is therefore only logical to vote CON.

Thanks.
Posted by CP 8 years ago
CP
Wheelhouse3: I suppose I'm a little taken back by this comment. Your votes on this site ought not be based on your personal opinions, but rather on the strength of the arguments of the contenders. It's obvious that you are not the only one who votes this way, but I would ask that you please take this into account when voting. This mentality completely undermines the entire objective of debate and the voting system.

In response to your comments:
It wouldn't matter whether the events made life easier or more difficult. The fact is that those events *changed* the way people live their lives; thus, had an impact on human culture. And, as I showed, those events certainly had a larger impact on human culture than The Beatles.

1. Automobiles - were around long before The Beatles, so there is no way you can begin to make this argument. While I understand that cars can be used in a variety of manners, I think its's obvious that "drinks, drugs, and sex" are not their primary purposes. Beyond that, "drinks, drugs, and sex" were also around long before The Beatles.

2. Airplanes - Remember that we are talking about human culture in the last 108 years, not just today's perspective. Aeonautics have been used in one form or another by hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people. If you re-read my argument, I mention warfare and space exploration as well.

3 & 4. Computers & Internet - Have fundamentally changed mutliple aspects of BILLIONS of human lives. I doubt that The Beatles could contend that they have influenced billions of lives. Beyond that, it seems silly to suggest that things that have been happening for hundreds, if not thousands of years, such as communicating with friends and teenagers rebelling from parents, are somehow directly linked to The Beatles.

I fail to see how such a broad statement could ever be backed up. If you wish to challenge me on the same topic, I'd be more than happy to expound further on my counter arguments.
Posted by wheelhouse3 8 years ago
wheelhouse3
cp you definately better articulated your views in this arguement. however, i have to disagree with you and vote pro. this is my reason for that action; you named events that helped make it *easier* to live the lifestyle/culture that the beatles introduced and made popular not events that proved the point you were trying to make which was (and correct me if i'm wrong) that the technilogical advances you named had a larger impact on our culture than the beatles. addressing each of them individually:
1. affordable automobiles- do you think people travel just to work and back with those. not a chance. i'll tell you what teenagers (who were among those most affected by the beatles) use those affordable cars for- easy transportation to get more drinks, drugs, and sex which are 3 main components of the "beatles culture"
2. airplanes- we've successfully discovered a way to cross oceans in hours; they're mostly used for business trips & family vacations. The world isn't exactly made up of workaholics, in fact most don't even have a career. Economies are doing so poorly lately that I don't see many families forking out that much money for a flight to vacations. therefore, airplanes don't affect how humans behave.
3. computers- making things all the easier to separate ourselves from our parents' generation
4. internet- easier to communicate and coordinate with our friends(in the true beatles fashion of course- "I get by with a little help from my friends")
Posted by CP 8 years ago
CP
left wing: I was leaving my options open for further rounds, and I basically just hit upon the first things that I could think of that impact human daily lives more than anything else. I did touch on space exploration, but I basically tied it in with aeronautics.

sweatingjojo: Not a problem. We're all busy at times.
Posted by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
I'm very sorry CP that I was not able to reply in any of my allotted time periods.
Posted by left_wing_mormon 8 years ago
left_wing_mormon
I voted Con, but I found it interesting that we are talking about "the greatest cultural occurrence" of the past 108 years, and there was no mention of Civil rights movements, sufferage, and space exploration. 3 things I would argue are better than the internet.

But I don't want to come across like a jerk to CP because he/she made a very solid case and would've won the debate even if Pro responded.
Posted by ShannonDowds 8 years ago
ShannonDowds
May I Just Say, The Beatles May Be A Great Source Of History In Years To Come, Their Lifestyle May Not Be Exactly Praised At Times, But It Was A Typical 60's Hippy Lifestyle, Orgies, Drunk, Alcohol, And The World Has Learned From The Mistakes Made In That Era, But The 60's Would I Believe Be A Better Argument For This Debate, In The Sense We Are Talking About Era's From The 20th And 21st Century.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
SweatingjojoCPTied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
SweatingjojoCPTied
Vote Placed by Jonngotti 8 years ago
Jonngotti
SweatingjojoCPTied
Vote Placed by wheelhouse3 8 years ago
wheelhouse3
SweatingjojoCPTied
Vote Placed by Derth 8 years ago
Derth
SweatingjojoCPTied
Vote Placed by RAMBLER58 8 years ago
RAMBLER58
SweatingjojoCPTied
Vote Placed by Killer542 8 years ago
Killer542
SweatingjojoCPTied
Vote Placed by hail2thethief 8 years ago
hail2thethief
SweatingjojoCPTied
Vote Placed by Grogthecaveman 8 years ago
Grogthecaveman
SweatingjojoCPTied
Vote Placed by ally93 8 years ago
ally93
SweatingjojoCPTied