DylanGafarian
marisaj

The Beatles are the most influential band in history.

Started: 2/25/2012 Category: Arts

DylanGafarian

Pro

With thousands of bands in the world today I believe it is quite easy to say that they all had some form of inspiration or influence. It has been proven that most band were influenced by the Beatles in some way. Whether it be their physical style or their style of music. All in all The Beatles are responsible for all music following their short lived career as a group.
marisaj

Con

I will debate that Queen is the most influential band in history. They revolutionized music, basically creating their own genre, while influencing generations to come with music still extremely popular today.
DylanGafarian

Pro

A very good argument indeed. But unfortunately I would have to disagree with your statement. Lets begin with a few points, a point yet mentioned.

1) British Invasion: The British Invasion a term used by Americans to describe the large amount of musical groups coming overseas from England. The band that started the invasion was none other than the Beatles in 1964. Which brings us to point: The Beatles come to America and they have a great deal of success. They then begin the phenomenon what we now know as the British Invasion. Queen, who formed in 1971 in London, after the Beatles career and the invasion were finished, made their mark on music. So to recap on my ramble, Beatles= Invasion without Beatles their is no Invasion, without Invasion their is no Queen.

To work off your point of "while influencing generations to come with music still extremely popular today"
2) 27 Number One Hits : I think it is safe to say that the Beatles have done plenty to leave their mark on society, especially with twenty-seven number one hits. Having eighteen number one hits and selling somewhere near 300 million records, Queen still falls short to the whopping twenty-seven number one hits and over 600 million records sold by the Beatles. Making both bands members of the best selling musical artists list, with the Beatles as number one and Queen coming in seventh.

Yes both bands did wonders in record sales, but I don't believe that is nearly enough to distinguish between the two.
3) Influence on music: I would like to hear your reasoning for Queen revolutionizing music because when I think revolutionizing music I automatically think of the Beatles. Being the crazed fan I am I think it is safe to say I have heard every Beatle song at least once, meaning I know the sounds of the songs. As well as being a music enthusiast I know the sounds of many different instruments. Leading me to the point, the Beatles managed to introduce many estranged instruments into main stream pop culture. For example in the Beatles number one hit, Yesterday (which also happens to be the most covered song in history) was first to introduce a string quartet to a main stream music. Another example would be the Beatles Indie phase. I'd like to clarify, the term Indie is in reference to Indian style music not the Indie-Rock music of today. The Indie phase was first introduce to the world with the Beatles seventh studio album, Revolver in 1966. Many songs on the album introduce a new star instrument to main stream music the Sitar, which is a plugged string instrument similar to that of a guitar. The use of this instrument would later be used by the Rolling Stones "Paint it, Black" another follower in the British Invasion. In this time period the Beatles also introduced groundbreaking techniques such as reversed guitar, processed vocals, and looped taped effect. This phase soon meet up with the new emerging genre of music called "psychedelic music". This genre of music which will soon be lead by drugs will lead us into a whole new style of music in the late 60's and all of the 1970's, was first introduced to us by the Beatles. The first song to feature such a sound was the Beatles "Tomorrow Never Knows" which also was featured on Revolver.

This is just a slight overview of influence the Beatles had on music and society. More support will be used as needed.
marisaj

Con

It's not necessarily true to say without the British Invasion Queen wouldn't have formed. Perhaps their success in America would've come later in their career, but even if The Beatles never formed or came to America, Queen still could've formed. It's safe to say the Invasion deinitely supported their formation, but wasn't certainly the cause.

The Beatles were definitely an incredible and successful band. However, their music, while well sold, is very simple pop.

Queen's music itself is complex and innovative. Their songs have been likened to that of mini-musicals, with their hit "Bohemian Rhapsody (1975)" has six acts, or sections. It begins with an intro, then ballad, then guitar solo, then opera, then heavy metal, ending with an outro. In one song they were able to incorporate so many different types and styles of music, flowing together seemlessly.

Throughout their career, they have has eighteen number one albums and eighteen number one singles.

In 2002, Bohemian Rhapsody was even voted, in the United Kingdom, the favorite hit of all time.

It can even be said Queen created their own genre: theatrical rock. The various "acts" in Bohemian Rhapsody were basically unheard of in rock music before they put a stamp on it.

Though they have a plethora of well known songs, like the previously mentioned "Bohemian Rhapsody", "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" are just a few world-wide knwon monstrous songs. "We Will Rock You" has become the most played song in sporting events ever. It doesn't need to be complex. The song is alsmot all accapella and stomping, with a short guitar solo at the end. When you're as good as Queen, that's all you need to create one of the most cherished and most played songs of all time.

Not only are they stellar on album, but arguably even better live. They have ten number one selling DVD's showcasing the critical reception of their live performances. Their performace at 1985's Live Aid is often deemed the greatest live rock performance of all time.

The Beatles were one of the most important musical acts in world history. They were able to branch over to America and became superstars. However, Queen created music unimaginable to most, becoming the greatest rock band of all time.
DylanGafarian

Pro

Influence: the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others.

Queen was a great band, no doubt about it. You can even say Queen was an influential band. But the question at hand is "Who is the MOST influential band?" Queen was great, yes, but they merely influenced a small group of people. Where the Beatles influenced a generation. Still making if very safe to say that the Beatles are the most influential band in history.

Unfortunately it is impossible to know what would have happened without the Beatles and without the British Invasion. But with the support you and I both presented, as well as statements made by several artist; without the Beatles there would be no invasion and without the invasion their would be no Queen. Along with countless other english artists that came to America after the Beatles success.

To say the Beatles were strictly pop is an odd statement since the band created and implemented many crazes. One in particular would be that of the style you are referencing in Bohemian Rhapsody, Theatrical Rock. For the time lets dissect what is said to be one of the worlds greatest selling and most important albums in history, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band (1967). Within this album you will find the style of theatrical rock you are referring to, this album as a whole shows that exact unheard of style, eight years earlier. Each song is a completely different "act" in the show being portrayed by Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Star, with the first song being used as their intro. Introducing our factitious band and bandleader, Billy Shears. This idea is not something the Beatles created, in fact this idea was used amongst the Beatles biggest competitors of the time, their American version, the Beach Boys. The idea used by many before and many after but made most famous by the Beatles, would be that of a "concept album". Basically having a theme, using different style of music, such as ballads, guitar and drum solos, and opera. But to counter-argue your argument at a more local level, lets look at the Beatle song "A day in the life"(1967). After listening to "A day in the life" you will notice many similarities between the two songs, "Bohemia Rhapsody" and "A day in the life". If that song does not satisfy my argument take a look at any Beach Boy song off of their album "Pet Sounds"(1966).

Lets take a look at another portion of your argument, live performances. Yes I agree Queen was terrific live, Freddie Mercury was spectacular. But let us remember how Live performances came about. Before the Beatles Rock and Roll was only about 10 or so years old, leaving the Beatles a lot of room to experiment. With that they began putting together concerts and tours at venues that held some 60,000 people. Now I am not saying that the Beatles created concerts and tours, not in the least. But I am however saying they were the first to put a concert on in a venue of that size. Another major influence on music of yesterday and today.

During the time of the Beatles success the managed to turn music and society on its side. Before we get into the influence on society lets talk quickly about their success at music videos. During this time period you did not see or know what these people (stars) looked like, they did not have MTV or Youtube, they had Ed Sullivan and films. The Beatles had several films throughout their career such as, A Hard Days Night (1964) and Help! (1965). Within the Beatles film you would notice that there was dialog, humor, and mostly music, creating what we now know as music videos. The Beatles films were designed to be song after song with video images with some dialog in between paving the way for MTV and other artists.
"...they influenced many other films. Today when we watch TV and see quick cutting, hand-held cameras, interviews conducted on the run with moving targets, quickly intercut snatches of dialogue, music under documentary action and all the other trademarks of the modern style, we are looking at the children of A Hard Day's Night".- Robert Ebert (Film Critic)

I completely agree, Queen was a great band. Freddie Mercury has to be one of the greatest entertainers of all time. As you have proven in your closing statement, "Queen created music unimaginable to most, becoming the greatest rock band of all time", you may not fully understand the argument at hand. This argument is not a battle of who the better band is, this argument is a battle of who the most influential band is.
marisaj

Con

marisaj forfeited this round.
DylanGafarian

Pro

Although this debate is finished I thought I would good give my final thoughts. Yes Queen is a terrific band, but we were debating who was a more influential band. From the support given by both sides I'd say it is quite clear that The Beatles are the most influential band in history. Just incase this point is still not clear lets take one last look at a point yet brought up, the Beatles mark on society. The Beatles changed society forever. From the way the talked to the way they dress the Beatles managed to be the first ones doing it. Just think of the amount of kids named Michelle. Or the amount of hair cuts done just to make it look similar to that of the Beatles. And of course my personal favorite the nehru jacket. The Beatles changed society and music for the rest of time. Thank you for debating, I truly enjoyed our time spent.
marisaj

Con

marisaj forfeited this round.
DylanGafarian

Pro

DylanGafarian forfeited this round.
marisaj

Con

marisaj forfeited this round.
Posted by lango6 3 years ago
lango6
To anyone, like me, who may view this "debate", one key point that was missed in this Beatles vs. Queen as "most influential" was the fact that The Beatles were highly influential on the members of Queen. Not only can that be assumed by the historical timing, but it is a fact proudly expressed by Queen itself (look it up). So, by definition, The Beatles had to be more influential than Queen since you have to add some measure of The Beatles influence on any influence by Queen.
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
Elvis