galatite
iSacasaurous

'The Belief in God is Trivial'

galatite

Pro

Hi there,
Believing in God is a pointless act, as pointless than the belief in self flight. As Hume said, "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." To be able to achieve a belief in God, this suggests one would would have not to be wise and would have not to contain an innate sense of common sense. Therefore, believing in God is a pointless act without evidence.
iSacasaurous

Con

Hello. I am going to start off by saying that a person's belief in God is in no way trivial. I myself am not a christian but it is quite apparant that christianity has been one of the major influences on our contemporary society.

In fact, the foundations of western culture were built upon christianity's values and moral code. In that way the point that you are defending is clearly fallacious.

galatite

Pro

Your argument is invalid, due to the fact it is based on the assumption that past influence means we should carry on the way of affairs. Slavery has influenced the world greatly and many of our moral views are based on it, however the continuation of slavery and it's influence has no relevance to whether one believes it to be correct. Therefore my point remains.
iSacasaurous

Con

I'm not going to continue on fighting about the same point over and over so I shall make this clear. I did not imply that "past influence means we should carry on the way of affairs" as you put it. I merely said that western civilization is built upon Christian values and morals, concepts like laws, courthouses and our strong obligation to uphold justice come from christian beliefs, I am in no way saying that we should all be Christians in our present day but that peoples belief in god is in no way trivial.

With something as atrocious as slavery, the fact of the matter remains that because of slavery, progress was made, not only in technology, but in medicine and most importantly philosophy. In this way people saw how morally wrong it was even through the wars, constitutions were made, people were more rational and were from then on aware of how depraved the act of slavery was. In any case, your argument is invalid, by you saying that something as revolutionary as slavery, even with the backbone of Christianity was morally wrong, it is implied that the belief in god is not trivial.

triv�i�al (trv-l)
adj.
1. Of little significance or value.
galatite

Pro

galatite forfeited this round.
iSacasaurous

Con

iSacasaurous forfeited this round.
galatite

Pro

galatite forfeited this round.
iSacasaurous

Con

iSacasaurous forfeited this round.
Posted by joseph.bazemore 4 years ago
joseph.bazemore
Na its not trivial , I aint wise but Im willing, if your your seeking God he makes things clear, or if your just seeking truth facts for your own knowledge or gain. thats like somebody living in your house, eating your food, and saying this aint your place you let me see the ownership papers,blueprint, morgatge payment stubb something, give me the grocery reciept cause i know you must of robbed you neighbors garden you aint do all this for me. I wouldnt answer you neither, it how you thank him in your very being for taking you in for a hot meal and a warm night in shelter just as you would be to a friend who was kind to you need and didnt have to be , instead of badmouthing his home food and kindness for something you dont have yourself bum a ride and tell him his cars a POS!
Posted by meryem 4 years ago
meryem
If a building has a builder, then this Universe has a Creator.