Frostbitte99
WW2_Freak

The Benefits of Domestic Surveilance by the NSA outweigh the harms

Started: 11/11/2013 Category: Economics

Frostbitte99

Pro

Seeing as though I am starting the topic I will let anyone who chooses to post their argument first.
WW2_Freak

Con

I am for the NSA, because they say they have foiled many terrorist plots against the United States and many other nations around the world. If you could prevent another 9/11, why wouldn't you, I ask you?

Sure, its a little creepy to know that Obama know's what your saying... When you're talking to your loved one on the phone, and he is listening in on you and all, but, it's an extremely small price to pay to prevent another 9/11. Think about all of the lives you would save.
Frostbitte99

Pro

I would like to here point out that my opponent is debating the wrong side of the resolved here. They are supposed to be debating against the resolved, not for it.

Domestic Surveillance by the NSA is is in fact beneficial. In 2009, the NSA prevented a plot to bomb the New York subway systems. Officials who prevented this used the NSA"s Internet monitoring program in Colorado to identify communications involving Najibullah Zazi, who was later found to have relations with this subway bombing plan. (ebscohost.com) Another case was seen when an accountant in New York was in the early stages of a plot against the stock exchange. The NSA prevented both cases from occurring, and solved the issue in a manner that was both peaceful and effective. Without these means of surveillance, at home terrorism could not be regulated or prevented.

I would also like to point out that the NSA when receiving information, whether it be via email, or cell phone is not listening to your personal calls, they are only listening for red flag warnings. Also, the president does not have anything to do with this. Just because the president is in fact in charge does not mean that he listens to all of the phone calls, therefor your information is in fact invalid.
WW2_Freak

Con

WW2_Freak forfeited this round.
Frostbitte99

Pro

In my opponent's absence, and to be fair, I will post no further arguments.
WW2_Freak

Con

WW2_Freak forfeited this round.
Frostbitte99

Pro

Frostbitte99 forfeited this round.
WW2_Freak

Con

WW2_Freak forfeited this round.