The Bible Has No Contradictions

I challenge you as I was unable to accept the debate you set up in time. You post your first argument in round 1, I rebut in round 2, you defend in round 2, I rebut again in round 3, and you don't post an argument in round 3 to keep even rounds.

Thank you for challenging me to this.

I will introduce 5 contradictions with a short explanation:

Father of Joseph:

Matthew 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

Luke 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

The two books report different genealogies of Jesus's father, Joseph.

Order of Creation:

There are two different orders of creation in the Bible. The Secular Web website explains:

"Here is the order in the first (Genesis 1), the Priestly tradition:

Day 1: Sky, Earth, light
Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky(!)
Day 3: Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars (as calendrical and navigational aids)
Day 5: Sea monsters (whales), fish, birds, land animals, creepy-crawlies (reptiles, insects, etc.)
Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)
Day 7: Nothing (the Gods took the first day off anyone ever did)

Note that there are "days," "evenings," and "mornings" before the Sun was created. Here, the Deity is referred to as "Elohim," which is a plural, thus the literal translation, "the Gods." In this tale, the Gods seem satisfied with what they have done, saying after each step that "it was good."

The second one (Genesis 2), the Yahwist tradition, goes:

Earth and heavens (misty)
Adam, the first man (on a desolate Earth)
Eve, the first woman (from Adam's rib)."

The two orders are radically different, even though they are found in the same book separated by one chapter.

Jesus's Death

Matthew 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

Luke 23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

John 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

The three different apostles present very different accounts of Jesus's last words and the circumstances surrounding them.

Date of Jesus's Birth:

From another Secular Web page: "According to Matthew, Jesus was born during the reign of Herod the Great (Matthew 2:1). According to Luke, Jesus was born during the first census in Israel, while Quirinius was governor of Syria (Luke 2:2). This is impossible because Herod died in March of 4 BC and the census took place in 6 and 7 AD, about 10 years after Herod's death."

A little uncertainty is natural, but 10 years is too much, especially for something that should be as memorable and distinctive as Jesus's birth.

God. Peaceful?:

This is probably the biggest contradiction of all:

1 - Psalms 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

Jeremiah 13:14: And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

2 Exodus 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

Romans 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

3 - "I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy." (Jeremiah 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."

"The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy." (James 5:11)
"For his mercy endureth forever." (1 Chorinthians 16:34)
"The Lord is good to all, and his tender mercies are over all his works." (Psalms 145:9)
"God is love." (1 John 4:16)

God has very different moral views across different books and at different times for seemingly no apparent reason.

In conclusion, Paul once said, "'God is not the author of confusion,' (I Corinthians 14:33), yet never has a book produced more confusion than the bible!"

Webpages Referenced

Father of Joseph:

As AnswersinGenesis says: "Luke is being very precise. Jesus was thought to be the son of Joseph, who was of Heli. Notice that Luke never said that Joseph was the son of Heli in the Greek. This reduces the alleged contradiction to nothing and shows that Luke"s genealogy is Mary"s"with Joseph"s name listed due to inheritance laws"and Matthew"s genealogy is Joseph"s."

Order of Creation: replies: "Chapter 1 may be understood as creation from God"s perspective; it is "the big picture", an overview of the whole. Chapter 2 views the more important aspects from man"s perspective."

Jesus's Death:

John was close to the cross at the time of Jesus's death. Luke was much further in the back. John hears the words that Jesus had said softly, when he is referring to the ones close to him. Luke refers to the words Jesus had "cried with a loud voice" to the crowd. They hear different last words because they are in different positions. You cannot prove that all three are claimed to be the very last words of Jesus before his resurrection.

Date of Jesus's Birth:

That is not the right translation. It is normally translated as this: "This was the census that took place before the first census of Quirinius." Further, many historians believe that Quirinius was governor of Syria twice, as a found inscription in Antioch says just that. They also believe that Quirinius could have EASILY done a census at the time. This being at the same time of Herod the Great.

God. Peaceful?:

God is infinitely peaceful to those who worship him, but there is no excuse for someone who knows the word of God to not accept his teachings. So, answering your concern, God is merciful and loving, but to those who reject his love, they shall receive His judgment. That's all it's saying.

Also, how has the Bible created confusion?

Father of Joseph:

It clearly says, "And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli." Notice the use of the word "son". Unless pro can show that his unlikely theory is true, his objection here means nothing. Just look at the Bible verse.

Order of Creation:

Again, another unsubstantiated theory. Genesis 2:18-19 says, "And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof." There's nothing about man's "perspective".

Jesus's Death:

But each claim that he gave up the ghost at different statements. Only John agrees with your claim. Matthew and Luke both have Jesus giving up the ghost before he said, "It is finished." My opponent is basically trying to salvage the point here.

Date of Jesus' Birth:

Luke 2:2 - This census first took place while Quirinius was governing Syria.

"Herod the Great died in 4 BCE.""Quirinius became governer of Syria in 6 CE, nine years after king Herod's death."(SAB)

A SecularWeb page says, "Some Christians try to manipulate the text to mean this was the first census while Quirinius was governor and that the first census of Israel recorded by historians took place later. However, the literal meaning is "this was the first census taken, while Quirinius was governor ..." In any event, Quirinius did not become governor of Syria until well after Herod's death."

So, the two accounts are nine years apart. This is a contradiction.

God. Peaceful?:

Let's take a look at barebones contradictions:

"I will not pity..."[Jeremiah 13:14]; "The Lord is very pitiful..."[James 5:11]
"...nor have mercy..."[Same Jeremiah]; "For his mercy endureth forever."[1 Chronicles 16:34]
"The Lord is good to all..."[Psalms 145:9]; Clearly this is not true.

My opponent has not effectively refuted this. His last claim is not right. He's simply posted some theological mumbo jumbo.

How has the Bible created confusion? How has the Bible not created confusion? There's a Roman Catholic Bible, an Eastern Orthodox Bible, and all different kinds of Protestant Bibles, each with different translations.

Father of Joseph:

My opponent does not refute my point. As says, "On comparing the two genealogies, it will be found that Matthew, writing more immediately for Jews, deemed it enough to show that the Saviour was sprung from Abraham and David; whereas Luke, writing more immediately for Gentiles, traces the descent back to Adam, the parent stock of the whole human family, thus showing Him to be the promised Messiah, the "Seed of the woman who would bruise the head of Satan (serpent)."

Order of Creation:

As ApologeticsPress explains, "While it is true that such expressions are found in chapter 2, what the critics have failed to notice is that anthropomorphic terminology also is employed in Genesis 1:1-2:4. In that section, God "called," "saw," "rested," etc. (1:8,12; 2:1). There is no validity in this argument, and one is not surprised that serious scholars have labeled it "illusory"." Again, my opponent has not gotten to my point.

Jesus's Death:

Just because Matthew and Luke include Jesus giving up the ghost, yet John does not, doesn't mean it is a contradiction. The gospels did not include the same thing, otherwise, there'd be no purpose in having the 4 books. Yet again, no refutation.

Date of Jesus's Birth:

Finally, my opponent has a serious refutation. However, it is logiclly flawed. As I previously said (and sourced), many scholars say that Quirinius was probably governor on two separate occasions. And since my side of the argument is written in ancient text and widely accepted, unless you can prove that it's impossible that Quirinius was governor twice, once during Herod's death, and from a reliable, unbiased source (not an atheistic website), then my argument holds.

God. Peaceful?:

Again, God can do whatever he wants, and he works in mysterious ways. None of that is a contradiction, but an out of context examination of a few broken Bible verses that do not logically show a contradiction.

But it has also brought more comfort than any other book. So there may be a little scholarly discrepancy. This doesn't take away from the fact that the Bible is has comforted billions in need.

No argument.
Posted by Sagey 2 years ago
Con is answering from Answers-in-Genesis, that site has the Biblical authority of Sesame Street.

Pro might as well cite "Answers-in-Comics".
Vote Placed by Sagey 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not convincingly explain the chronological differences Con cited and Con's sources backed up, making differences due to difference audiences is no reason for contradicting another Gospel writer. Whether writing to con the Jews or Gentiles the details should remain the same, not conflict.