jawyer
larztheloser

The Bible Is Repulsive

larztheloser

jawyer

Pro

The Bible is so repulsive that it has no place in a modern, civilized society.

Example 1
The vast majority of us believe that God exists, that Jesus is his son, and that God himself gave us the Bible and the Ten Commandments. In fact, Supreme court Justice Antonin Scalia has said that "Ninety-nine percent of Americans believe in the ten commandments." He has also said, "What the commandments stand for is the direction of human affairs by God."

If 99% of Americans believe in the ten commandments, how can the Bible be repulsive? Let's take the fourth commandment as an example. It says:

Remember the sabbath day, and keep it holy. For six days you shall labour and do all your work. But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. [Exodus 20: 8-9]
This, supposedly, is the word of God, the almighty ruler of the universe.

Millions of businesses have employees working on the Sabbath. Even Christian Family Bookstores have employees working on the Sabbath.

What should we do with all of these people who are breaking the fourth commandment?

In the Bible's book of exodus - the same book that contains the ten commandments – the Bible tells us what to do with everyone who breaks the fourth commandment. Exodus 31 verse 15 tells us exactly what to do:

'For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death.'
That's right. The Bible commands the death penalty for anyone who works on the Sabbath, and we should obey. Right? This means we have to kill tens of millions of people.

Should we line these tens of millions of people and shoot them?

I think we can all agree that the thought of killing millions of innocent people is repulsive. A book this repulsive has no place in our society.

And make no mistake about it - the bible really means what it says. It fully intends to be repulsive. In Isaiah 40 verse 8 the Bible says:

The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God will stand for ever. [Isaiah 40 verse 8]
The Bible says the same thing in 1 Peter 1 verses 24 and 25. And in Psalm 19:7 the Bible says:
    The law of the Lord is perfect.
Since the laws of the Bible are perfect, they should never change. And then there is this. In Matthew 5 verse 20 Jesus says:
    For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:20
According to Jesus, we must follow the laws of the Bible. Do you believe that we should kill millions of innocent people because they work on the Sabbath? If not, do you want a book this repulsive to be quoted in public? Read to children? Used in our courts of law?

Example 2

The Bible wants us to kill most people in the world. For example, the first commandment says, "Thou shalt have no other Gods before me." What are we supposed to do with everyone who doesn't believe in God? We are supposed to Kill them. Deuteronomy chapter 17 says that we are supposed to stone non-believers to death.

'If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the LORD gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the LORD your God in violation of his covenant, and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars of the sky… Take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death.' – Deut 17:2-7
In 2 Chronicles 15:12-13:
    'They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.' - 2 Chron 15:12-13
Deuteronomy 13:13-19:
    'Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases…you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God.'
Deuteronomy 13:7-12:
    'If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods …do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him'. - Deut 13:7-12
What if you take the name of the lord in vain? Leviticus chapter 24 verse 16 says:
    'Anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him.' – Lev 24:16
The Bible is quite clear. We must kill everyone who does not believe in God. There are approximately 30 million people in America who do not believe in any God. There are tens of million more who believe in gods other than the God of the Bible. The Bible commands that we kill them all. And keep in mind that the word of the Lord lasts forever, and the law of the lord is perfect. Think of this as a Christian Jihad. The idea of killing tens of millions of people because they don’t believe in God is repulsive.

Example 3

If you curse your father and mother you are to be killed:

'All who curse their father or mother must be put to death'. - Leviticus 20:9

Example 4

If you commit adultery you are to be killed:

'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife - with the wife of his neighbor - both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.' - Leviticus 20:10

Example 5

If you happen to be homosexual you are to be killed.

'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death'. - Leviticus 20:13
So let’s review: God commands us to kill:
  • Everyone who works on the Sabbath
  • everyone who does not believe in God
  • Anyone who curses father or mother
  • Everyone who commits adultery
  • Everyone who happens to be Homosexual
According to the Bible, we need to kill tens of millions of innocent people. The idea of killing this many innocent people is repulsive. The idea that people would walk around carrying a book that demands the death of tens of millions of innocent people is repulsive.

Example 6

Here’s another example of the Bible’s idiocy. Rebellious teenagers should all be killed as well. Here's what the Bible says in Deuteronomy chapter 21:

'If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father and mother, who does not heed them when they discipline him, then his father and his mother shall ... say to the elders of his town, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the town shall stone him to death.' - Deut 21
Think about how many American teenagers need to die.

larztheloser

Con

The basic contention of my opponent is that the bible advocates the death penalty for certain crimes, and therefore it is repulsive. This is both factually wrong and illogical.

Let me first define repulsive: "Arousing intense distaste or disgust."

For all Bible translations, I shall be using the King James bible. If any other bible is requested, please state its name and I will be happy to use that translation instead. Remember that we're not arguing about whether the Bible is true. We are simply questioning whether it is repulsive.

The Facts
Jesus said "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her" (John 8:7). In context - a girl had just been caught in the act of adultery, and by way of test, the teachers of the law had put a stone in Jesus' hand. But Jesus did not stone the girl. He told the teachers, with these words, that God is the judge of crimes, including adultery, and that God alone determines guilt and punishment.

So - should we put to death people who sin? NO! Jesus specifically commanded us not to. Jesus goes on to tell us that just as man must learn to forgive, so does God forgive (assuming you believe Jesus was God incarnate), by telling the woman "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more" after all of the others had left.

So perhaps we should judge them. Perhaps we should stick them up at the front of the church, and shout out "This man worked on the Sabbath - condemn him!" Well... no. Read Matthew 7:1-5:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

So pretty much, the bible tells us to leave God's law to God, and man's law to man. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's. Those who live by the sword die by the sword. Peace is the way, the truth and the life. Love your neighbour as yourself, even if they are sinners, for it is not the healthy who need a doctor (as opposed to executor), but the sick. This is the word of God.

The Logic
Take a look at this premise and assume it is true: "The bible advocates the death penalty for certain crimes." How does it logically follow from that that the bible is repulsive? There's a missing premise here. Something like "All books that advocate the death penalty for certain crimes are repulsive." Without that hidden premise, the conclusion does not follow.

However, the problem is that the second premise cannot be logically made. Nothing is objectively repulsive (as "all" would indicate) because repulsion is a moral judgement, and morality is subjective. Let me prove that for you. The only way to test the validity of a fact is to exclude the alternative. So for example, is this a bay? Well, first we need to check that it's not a lake. Is the death penalty repulsive? Well, first we need to check whether it isn't. But the second example inevitably only begs the question. So you can't make a subjective judgement objective like my opponent, by implication, has attempted.

My opponent has made a long argument and researched the bible throughly, and I commend him for that. However, he has missed what I believe to be the Bible's most important rule, and his argument doesn't actually make any sense when closely examined. I look forward to the second and final round!
jawyer

Pro

The purpose of the debate is for me to prove that the bible is repulsive thats all, nothing else. I have already proved this through many examples and i shall now present further evidence to support my claim that the bible is repulsive .

Example 7

In Matthew 18 verses 7 through 9, Jesus speaks:

If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell. - Matthew 18:7-9
This verse is repulsive on three levels:
  1. It is repulsive because Jesus is such an idiot here. He is completely wrong.
  2. It is repulsive because it demands that people maim themselves.
  3. It is repulsive because the entire concept of “hell” is repulsive.
Jesus is an idiot. Cutting off your hand or gouging out an eye accomplishes nothing. If you are having a problem with unproductive behaviors, what you need to do is talk with a counselor or see a therapist. Self-amputation is absurd and repulsive. Jesus dispenses advice that is completely useless, and recklessly dangerous as well.

Example 8

The Bible’s absolute sexism is well known, and it is repulsive. Here are two examples:

Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church. - 1 Corinthians 14
And:
    Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. - 1 Tim 2
We can find dozens of verses that are just as sexist. The Bible’s sexism is both ridiculous and repulsive.

Example 9

The Bible fully supports slavery. In fact, the Bible has been used in many cases, including the American civil war, as an authoritative justification of slavery. Here are three examples.

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life. - Leviticus 25:44
Also:
    If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property. - Exodus Chapter 21:20
Also:
    Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to be refractory, nor to pilfer, but to show entire and true fidelity. - Titus 2:9
You can see that, according to the Bible:
  1. Buying and selling slaves is fine.
  2. Beating slaves is fine.
  3. Slaves are to show entire and true fidelity.
If you are an intelligent person, you know that he entire idea of slavery is repulsive.

Example 10

The Bible is riddled with repulsion. Take, for example, this verse:

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. - Isaiah 13
Or this:
    Samaria shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword, their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open. - Hosea 13
Or this:
    Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. - Numbers 31
You get the picture. The Bible is repulsive.

You have seen ten graphic examples of repulsion. You can find hundreds of verses like these throughout the old and new testaments. You find racism, sexism and bigotry gallore. The deaths millions of innocents are chronicled in page after page of this appalling book. There is no question that this book is repulsive. It has no place in a modern, civilized nation.

We currently use the Bible throughout society. We do that, in large part, because most of us have never read the bible and have no idea how disgusting it is.

• We read from this book at weddings and funerals.
  • We force people to put their hands on this book in court.
  • We find copies of the Bible in nearly every hotel room.
The Bible demands that we kill everyone who works on the Sabbath. The Bible commands us to kill teenagers who drink too much. The Bible empowers us to enslave people of other nations. The Bible commands that we oppress women and kill people who happen to be homosexual.

A book this repulsive has no place in our society. It is time for the intelligent, thoughtful people of this nation to acknowledge this simple fact and act on it.

I AM NOT arguing against the stories in the bibles. My claim is the bible is repulsive, take note of that! Please vote for me, I have done alot of research to justify my claim.

Con will most likely try to criticise this, but as i wont have the chance to rebut, please vote for me because I have completely proved to over 100% my claim and it is entirely true and have used references to where these can be found in the bible. Thank you to the audience who vote for me :)
larztheloser

Con

I thank my opponent for his continued bible-bashing. I should note that pro has done NOTHING to answer my two contentions: that his conclusion does not follow from the premise, and that he is misrepresenting what the bible says.

Throughout all of his verses, in this past round and the first one, pro has continued to show various punishments the bible calls for - but he doesn't understand who these verses are speaking to, even when I gave clear, biblical evidence from multiple sources to refute that claim. He explains that intelligent people should simply "acknowledge this simple fact and act on it," but then refuses to engage with any of my rebuttal, as if to show his position wasn't intelligent enough to answer it. This goes for non-death punishments like slavery too - only God can judge, thus only God can deliver these punishments.

He also still fails to logically justify his position, in light of my analysis showing it to be both wrong and absurd. Indeed, he fails completely to even adknowlege that I made an argument. That's disrespect. I need not criticise my opponent any further. All the things my opponent has just said, I have ALREADY rebutted.

Pro has not disagreed that my arguments are true. I encourage all voters to therefore accept the arguments and leave it at that. Pro has done nothing except restate his case with more and more examples, except that those examples have been continuously misrepresented, out of Biblical context, and logically unjustifiable. The motion falls.

Vote con!
Posted by jawyer 2 years ago
jawyer
i knew this would sparkle off a clusterfuck of comments
Posted by royalpaladin 2 years ago
royalpaladin
I sent you a challenge.
Posted by larztheloser 2 years ago
larztheloser
I'll even TELL everybody to vote for you if you really want to be a sore loser.
Posted by larztheloser 2 years ago
larztheloser
Well I'll debate no matter what side you want me to be on. How does that sound? You can have everybody vote for you and everybody is happy - but you'll have to face up to the truth. That's why I don't think you'll accept. Either on this topic or your other one by the way. I don't care if I lose. I'm just that convinced you just want to flame me.
Posted by royalpaladin 2 years ago
royalpaladin
Yes, because you know that I am not actually going to set it up because I do not want to be votebombed.
Posted by larztheloser 2 years ago
larztheloser
If you think that's true, you would debate me. If I didn't have a counter-argument in mind, do you really think I'd be so keen to debate you as to even allow you to set all the conditions and your own burden of proof!? I don't care if I lose the debate - I just want to show you the argument. I refuse to do that here for reasons I've already stated.

I accept your challenge by the way. Set up the debate RP.
Posted by royalpaladin 2 years ago
royalpaladin
I doubt that you would accept the debate if you knew that you were going to be votebombed.

To demonstrate, let me ask you to accept the following debate:

Resolved: The United States of America is a terrorist nation.

I will be Con, and you will be Pro. Do you accept?
Posted by ConservativePolitico 2 years ago
ConservativePolitico
I think refusing to debate me twice by declining my debate challenge is a "cop out" too.

Anyways, I'm out. I can only stand so much stubborn cowardice in one night. Later peeps.
Posted by royalpaladin 2 years ago
royalpaladin
You are using that as a cop out because you know that you are not going to be able to demonstrate that actions that God is telling the Israelites are permissible in their daily lives are part of his judgment.
Vote Placed by DevonNetzley 2 years ago
DevonNetzley
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Agreed with LlamaMan.
Vote Placed by LlamaMan 2 years ago
LlamaMan
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Already believed in cons side, pro didn't do anything to change that.
Vote Placed by Yep 2 years ago
Yep
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was bringing far too much opinion and personal bias into this debate, he ultimately lost because he spent so much time on nothing, offering no refutations and basically conceding to con. Congratulations con, i liked your arguments, unfortunately this debate was one sided. Conduct points to con for reasons i shouldn't have to explain (look at the debate)
Vote Placed by johnnyboy54 2 years ago
johnnyboy54
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did nothing but rant, offered no refutation of Con's arguments and no explanation why the Bible is repulsive. Conduct goes to con because of Pro's ranting
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 2 years ago
ConservativePolitico
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: I found Con's facts to be more convincing. (royalpaladin approved)
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think his first round he won, and the other rounds tied. Although I am athiest, I have read the bible. So before I continue: it was not out of context. He showed that many common things humans do today are punishable by death and other of things for example: he quotes that cussing out a parent is punishable by death. That us repulsive. It also said being non Christian too is punishable by death. In modern standards this is a wtf moment. He proved that the bible is well repulsive at times.
Vote Placed by KRFournier 2 years ago
KRFournier
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro kept saying these things were repulsive, but he didn't explain why. Pro wasn't debating, he was ranting. Con at least offered logical arguments to negate the resolution.
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro seemed more concerned about sh*tting on the Bible and Jesus then addressing the con's arguments.
Vote Placed by Doulos1202 2 years ago
Doulos1202
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Jawyer's opinion seems to cloud his logic.
Vote Placed by royalpaladin 2 years ago
royalpaladin
jawyerlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD is in the comments section.