daley
Ezequielizedodyssey

The Bible Teaches the Weekly Sabbath is not Binding on Christians

daley

Pro

My opponent in this debate must defend the position that the Bible teaches Christians are obigated to keep the weekly sabbath, and turn down my evidence to the contrary. My opponent must be either a Seventh-day Adventist, or a member of a church that keeps the weekly sabbath. He/she must believe the entire Bible to be the word of God.

The Sabbath is a shadow of Christ (Col 2:16-17), and Christians don't live in the sahdows, we live in the reality. Jesus has put an end to the law of Moses with its sabbath requirement (Col 2:14; Eph 2:15), hence, Christians are not under the law. (Gal 5:18; Rom 6:14). We have freedom of choice in this matter of holydays, we can esteem everyday alike if we want (Rom 14:5). Paul even warned his brothers against being caught up in the observance of days as thought there were some law to do so. (Gal 4:10-11).

Immediately after saying that Christians were delivered from the law, what example from the law does Paul cite? "Thou shalt not covet," the tenth commandment, showing that the decalogue was included in that law from which they were freed. (Rom 7:6-7) In 2 Corinthians 3:7 he speaks of the decalogue as being gorious, then in verse 11 he says that which was glorious was done away with. To make sure he meant the decalogue he tells us that it was written in stone, and reminds us of the occasion when Moses came down the mountain with the tablets in his hands. (vss 7, 13; see Exo 34:29-35)

Hebrews 8:6-9:4 informs us that the old covenant, the decalogue, is replaced by a better covenant; that ends the sabbath day! There is no command under the New Covenant for Christians to keep the sabbath, and even those who keep it cannot prove which days is the seventh day on which they should keep it. Which day did Jesus die? Which day was he resurrected? Which day was the seventh-day sabbath? They can't prove these things, which merely indicates that the day cannot be that important, otherwise God would have furnished them with proof!

I look forwards to hearing my opponent in this matter.
Ezequielizedodyssey

Con

The Covenants

Seventh-day Adventists arbitrarily divide the old covenant into two divisions, moral and ceremonial. They claim that the Ten Commandments are moral and the rest of the law/covenant is ceremonial. They have offered no biblical evidence to support a two-part division of the old covenant. There are moral and ceremonial commands in the whole law as well as a ceremonial command in the Ten Commandments.

The Bible writers never declared the old covenant was a two-part covenant. The Jews understand that there is but one law/covenant and it is all equally holy and binding. When Israel vowed to keep the covenant, it was one covenant not a two-division covenant.

Ex 24:3 (NIV) 3When Moses went and told the people all the LORD'S words and laws, they responded with one voice, "Everything the LORD has said we will do."

There are 613 commands in the old covenant that Israel were required to keep perfectly.

The Ten has one ceremonial command, the sabbath which is not a moral command.
Sabbath keeping was given to Israel as a weekly ritual "to rest" from labor. It was never commanded as a communal day of worship. Israel was commanded to remember their deliverance from Egypt and that God created the world. The sabbath is not a moral command as no person has ever been charged with sin for breaking the sabbath except Israel of the old covenant.

The Old Covenant is a binding agreement God made with Israel at Sinai.
It was made with no other nation on earth. It includes the entire Mosaic Law which includes the Ten Commandments written on tablets of stone by God. It was ratified by the blood of animals. Ex 24:8 (NIV) 8Moses then took the blood, sprinkled it on the people and said, "This is the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words."

SDAs teach that the sabbath is binding on all nations and all people for all time when in fact it was given only to one nation Israel. Circumcision was the entry sign into the covenant. Gentiles could only legally keep the sabbath and be accepted by God, if they joined the Israelite community through circumcision and kept all the covenant.

The sign of the old covenant between God and Israel was the sabbath. God never made the sabbath a sign for Christians in the new testament. Do you find Christians mentioned in the text? Can you legally enjoin on Christians that which God has not enjoined on them?

Ex 31:16 - 17 (NRSV) 16Therefore the Israelites shall keep the sabbath, observing the sabbath throughout their generations, as a perpetual covenant. 17It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed."

Circumcision is just as much a perpetual covenant for Israel as the sabbath. Circumcision was first made with Abraham as an "everlasting covenant"

Gen 17:9 - 10, 13 (NIV) 9Then God said to Abraham, "As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 13Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant. 14Any uncircumcised male, who has not been circumcised in the flesh, will be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."

God then gave circumcision to Israel along with the sabbath in the law of Moses.

John 7:21 - 24 (NIV) 21Jesus said to them, "I did one miracle, and you are all astonished. 22Yet, because Moses gave you circumcision (though actually it did not come from Moses, but from the patriarchs), you circumcise a child on the Sabbath. 23Now if a child can be circumcised on the Sabbath so that the law of Moses may not be broken, why are you angry with me for healing the whole man on the Sabbath? 24Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."

The old covenant ended at Calvary with the death of Jesus. When a party to a covenant dies, said covenant ends. In this case it was Jesus who died, and He made that covenant with Israel. Thus the old covenant ended, even as a marriage covenant ends upon the death of either party. The surviving person is free to marry again, even as Jesus now takes the church as His new bride. If a mate dies, the surviving person is no longer married to a corpse. Rom. 7 shows this comparison of marriage and dying to the law through Christ. SDAs are married to the old covenant corpse. They read sabbath keeping in the old covenant (contract) God made with Israel and apply it to themselves. They do not accept the fact that they were never a party to that covenant. The only way for them to legally keep the sabbath is through circumcision and they are then obligated to keep ALL the old covenant with its 613 commands, which they do not do. They refuse to kill sabbath breakers and stay at home on sabbaths as the law requires. Thus they are lawbreakers, and subject to the condemnation of that law.
daley

Pro

daley forfeited this round.
Ezequielizedodyssey

Con

1. Argument: God rested on the Sabbath at creation; he made the day holy, and sanctified the day. Therefore all mankind is bound to keep the day holy.

Gen 2:2-3 (NIV) 2By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

The term "Sabbath" is not mentioned in the creation account. God rested from creating on THAT seventh day; He didn't continue creating by creating a repetitive day of rest. God rested/ ceased from His creating on that particular seventh day from the creation that was completed the sixth day, and He sanctified THAT particular seventh day, and not the recurring seventh day.

God "rested" from that work because He was done with that work. A lawyer in court "rests" his case when He is done and has no more to offer to the court. Genesis also shows that that day shows having no end. God is still at rest from that work, and, according to the author of Hebrews 4, believers have the opportunity to enter into God's rest that He began then. The believer enters into God's rest "Today" seeing as that day has yet to end. This is the rest the sabbath pointed to, and was a shadow of.

By using this argument that "this rest couldn't possibly be just for God" a rationalization is made to include Adam and Eve, and the rest of mankind into a physical, seventh day rest. If this rest were not just for God, then mankind would be given the potential to enter into this same rest, right? And isn't that what the author of Hebrews is getting at? We can enter into God's rest, so why would we want to enter into that shadow rest that pointed to Christ, and is indeed this rest? See Col. 2:15-16. Sabbatarians' logic gets sidetracked due to their preoccupation with the weekly, physical sabbath that was but the shadow.

It is not logical to conclude, that we therefore enter into another rest that God did not enter into; the weekly sabbath. God commanded Israel to rest on that reciprocal seventh day, and did not command Himself or claim He rested on weekly sabbaths.

Sabbatarians desperately needs to establish the recurring seventh day sabbath here in order to make the case for it applying to Christians who were not a party to the old covenant, and to make the case that the sabbath is somehow special and "eternal."

The term "Sabbath" is not used in the Genesis account and there is no internal evidence God sanctified every seventh day. It was that THAT first seventh day that God sanctified and rested; not every seventh day thereafter as recorded in John 5:16-17. God kept the manna that he gave Israel in the wilderness from spoiling on the sabbath day. God preserves life and holds the worlds in place on the seventh day.

The Father and Jesus works on Sabbath.

John 5:16 - 17 (NIV) 16So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jews persecuted him. 17Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working."

2. Argument: Adam and Eve kept the sabbath.

There is no internal evidence Adam and Eve were commanded to keep the weekly sabbath, or anyone else prior to Israel being at Sinai when the law of Moses was put forth and codified. It is more wishful thinking. Their line of reasoning here has been one of "once holy, always holy" and this includes Christians, so why isn't that ground at Sinai not still holy? You can't have it both ways. Those that claim Adam and Eve kept the sabbath are doing so by speculation.

The Bible does tell us that the Sinaitic Covenant which includes the Sabbath was not made with the fathers such as Adam, Noah, Isaac, Jacob and Abraham.

Deut 5:2 -3 (NIV) 2The LORD our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. 3It was not with our fathers that the LORD made this covenant, but with us, with all of us who are alive here today.

3. Argument: Abraham kept all God's commandments therefore he kept the Sabbath.

Gen 26:5 (NIV) 5because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws."

This is another false claim that is speculation. The sabbath was not included in God's covenant with Abraham. Circumcision evidently was more important to God than the sabbath as God made circumcision the covenant sign and not the sabbath with Abraham.

Gen 17:10 - 11 (NIV) 10This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you.

4. Argument: The Sabbath is a lasting covenant. Therefore it will never end.

Ex 31:16 -17 (NIV) 16The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. 17It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.'"
daley

Pro

daley forfeited this round.
Ezequielizedodyssey

Con

Come on. I have a better argument than you.
daley

Pro

daley forfeited this round.
Ezequielizedodyssey

Con

I would against you if i had this argument.
daley

Pro

daley forfeited this round.
Ezequielizedodyssey

Con

I think I'm gonna win cause I have the most argument from the bible.
Posted by Man-is-good 6 years ago
Man-is-good
well, this is pitiful.
Ezquielizedodyssey again misinterpreted the resolution and AGREED with PRO.
This is same as the last debate.
I hope he doesn't go rapping and cursing at this site as well.
Posted by daley 6 years ago
daley
i'm gonna forfeit cause this guy is agreeing with me, not debating me
Posted by That.Guy 6 years ago
That.Guy
Isn't this the same debate you've done the last 3 times?
Posted by MilitantAtheist 6 years ago
MilitantAtheist
I'd love to accept, but do not meet the requirements.
Posted by daley 6 years ago
daley
I'm arguing that the Bible does not teach that we christians have a specific day of worship. Worship is not restricted to any particular day; and churches can meet at any time.
Posted by DAN123 6 years ago
DAN123
Are you also arguing that the sabbath/Saturday is not the day of Christian worship?
Posted by daley 6 years ago
daley
This debate is about weather or not, the Bible teaches that Christians are obligated to keep the sabbath; in other words, does the Bible teach that weekly sabbath keeping is a requirement for Christians? Or, does it teach that such days are not binding, and we can freely choose to either keep it, or don't keep it, and still be pleasing God in this matter. I am arguing that Christians are not required by the Bible to keep the sabbath holy, and therefore we can choose not to keep it without worry that we are breaking any law that is in force. The sabbath law is not in force on us today, that is my argument; if you believe that Christians are required by God to keep this day holy, then respond to my evidence against the sabbath doctrine, and make a case of you own showing that the Bible teaches we still have to keep this day holy. I put the sabbath in the same category as all the sacrificial rituals and holy days that were abolished at the cross.
Posted by chrissy 6 years ago
chrissy
ok so in "genral words" does this debate mean that us christains we are not forced to keep the sabbath holy ? or wht. if not then maybe i will accept the challenge
Posted by daley 6 years ago
daley
chrissy, i have posted u the very same debate issue. let's see what u come up with.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 6 years ago
Man-is-good
daleyEzequielizedodysseyTied
Reasons for voting decision: To counter GMDebater's vote bomb. Note that Con never disagreed with Pro in the first place, but actually submitted arguments in his favor...
Vote Placed by GMDebater 6 years ago
GMDebater
daleyEzequielizedodysseyTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro forfeited.