Ozzyhead
Taylur

The Bible, although not really true, is a good guide to life.

Ozzyhead

Ozzyhead

Con

This is an argument for people who are atheists that believe the bible can still be used as a moral, life guiding tool, even if the stories aren't true. The first round is accepting, the second is opening arguments, the third is rebuttals, the fourth is to tell the other, and the audience, what you have learned from this debate because in every debate somebody does learn something, and the fifth round will be a simple farewell. a "handshake" if you will.
Taylur

Pro

Ozzyhead

Con

Thank you for accepting. I want it to be known that I will not in any way attempt to insult my opponent. So lets get right in to it.

First off, the Bible has several negative things inside of it. It has things from allowing, and specifically saying how to own slaves, who you can own, and when it's okay to beat them and kill them. The Bible also speaks of how women are to be treated, and how women are to act in a church and at home. Using the Bible as a guide, including the so called "good" parts is unnecessary. You are not a moral person if you let something guide your morality, because morality is how you feel life should be... how YOU feel life should be. Also, the bible uses scare tactics to make people be moral. Using it as a guide through life, you might as well be a Christian yourself.
Taylur

Pro

I will not attempt to insult my opponent either.

There's an elephant in the room when discussing the morality of the bible. Many people will cite passages that, in today's world, are clearly negative and outdated. I believe the Bible should be taken in its very simplest form: love, compassion and tolerance.

When people begin to read into the specifics of the Bible, it quickly becomes evident that it does not hold up as a good guide to life. I am an atheist and find the Bible, as a whole, to be ludicrous, but the very basic principles behind it are very valuable traits for society. The Bible should be perceived as a reminder of those essential traits and not as a piece of literature to analyse and interpret at every single line.

I would suggest the ten commandments as a good moral feature of the Bible. As I mentioned above, when one begins to complicate the basic commandments, things get difficult and contradictory -- people get hurt -- moral character actually worsens. I am in favour of simplifying the Bible right down to as little as possible, which I would find a good reminder of good morals.

One last point I'd like to make is that some people are inherently bad, I'm afraid to say. The majority of society have morals of their own accord, but others rely on something to keep them from 'sin'. These people may believe the Bible enough to stay away from crime, and I am all in favour of that. Other people may want to use the Bible as a placebo; their fears and worries can be diminished if they are under the belief that God is always watching and saving them a place in heaven if they commit to abide by the principle morals of the Bible.
Ozzyhead

Con

But is the bible necessary to know this, to be loving and compassionate for others? Is it not internal and instinctive to not steal and not kill? Yes there are people who do such things but I did not learn these things by church and the bible. People who choose not to do these things don't lack religion, they lack life skills and knowledge. And even if we did need a book for morality, there are many non religious children books that do just that
Taylur

Pro

The bible isn't necessary to teach morals, but it is one of many options. There are many religious books with similar core principles, and there are indeed many fairytales with identical principles. I think it's great that we have so many different methods to teach morality; life isn't 'one size fits all' -- the Bible may work for some and the Qur'an for others.

The Bible, although not really true, is a good guide to life; It's not the only guide to life.

But as mentioned previously; as a whole, the Bible is riddled with outdated rules. The Bible has the potential to be a fantastic guide, but only in the hands of a forward thinking individual.
Ozzyhead

Con

If you say most of the Bible is riddled with outdated rules, but also has a good guide as well, are you saying just take out everything else that's not good? I agree with that, but doing would make it not the bible anymore. I agree that a lot of books and religious texts have good morals, but they also have bad. If you remove all the bad or outdated stuff, which I would argue by today's standards is more than half of the bible, then you really don't have the bible. I did learn from my opponent, or at least I was convinced, that in the right hands the bible can be used in the right way. Though I would argue it would not be the bible anymore
Taylur

Pro

The Bible has already been changed and revised many, many, many times. There are literally thousands of different versions of the Bible, including 'simplified' ones, so I would argue that further simplification to the core principles would not remove the authenticity -- it would still be the Bible, and would be a very good guide to life. Love a tolerance only; nobody could argue with that.

I never learnt anything as such, but I did admit from the very start that the Bible as a whole is not a good guide to life, if taken word for word. I do, however, stand by my argument that simplifying the Bible does not make it any less of a Bible, and would actually improve Christianity as a whole.
Ozzyhead

Con

This goes to show to all the people who watched that atheists don't always agree on everything, and that you should never assume an atheist is anything more than someone who rejects the claims of a dogma. I thank my opponent for taking the time to discuss and argue in a peaceful respectful manner
Taylur

Pro

I reiterate what my adversary has mentioned above.

Thanks for the peaceful debate. :)
Posted by Taylur 3 years ago
Taylur
The Bible as a whole condemns homosexuality and encourages stoning people to death. I like Christians that take the Bible with a pinch of salt -- Christians that follow the core principles of love and tolerance. I regret to say that I do not like Christians that follow the Bible word for word; people who are 'saddened' or 'disgusted' by homosexuality because as a direct result from reading their sacred book.
Posted by theJackster 3 years ago
theJackster
Regarding Taylur's remarks about the Bible. To find the Bible ludicrous as a whole is a very good indication that you are not understanding the messages of the Bible. The wisdom of the Bible applies to every single aspect of human life, even atheism.
Posted by Jonbonbon 3 years ago
Jonbonbon
That's not a loaded resolution at all..
Posted by saxman 3 years ago
saxman
When the Bible talks about slaves, you must read it into context. Slaves were captured/conquered peoples. It did not have anything to do with race. Now that racism is not a part of society, it is not saying that you must own slaves. It is saying that you are to supposed to mistreat them. Take one of the most famous passages of the bible. Psalms 23. Ok, so before i start quoting this passage. David grew up a shepherd, so read everything as if the Lord is the preverbal shepherd. "He makes me lay down in green pastures". in a flock, there is a lead sheep. when a loud noise suddenly happens and the sheep get spooked, the shepherd goes to the lead sheep. He gets the sheep's head and forces it gently to the ground. All of the other sheep see this, and they calm down and put their heads in the ground. Part of interpreting the Bible is by understanding the difference between figurative and literal language. now psalms 23 is the best example in the bible of figurative language. Most of it is. And also, don't bring up past "bad" christians. Such as Adolf Hitler. horrible man. But then think of say, Mother Theresa. Two very different people. I do not believe that Adolf was a "real" christian personally.

And also the moral argument is very weak for the Con. He states that morals come from the person. When really, how are you to know where it comes from? A moral is an absolute. Most of the bible runs on Absolutes. One could say that they are parallel to each other. Others say not. It is your opinion. But its an opinion. thats all. not a fact.

And following a so called moral law is not immoral. Thats like saying I shouldnt follow a law because since the government is by the people, and I am a person, that is can break federal law.

This argument is very tricky, as it is a very controversial subject. Best of luck to the debaters.
Posted by theJackster 3 years ago
theJackster
When talking about the Bible it's important to understand firstly that it tries to make comprehensible something that is so all encompassing that it's impossible for the human mind to comprehend. Secondly, the Creator created man and man created the Bible. If you're only argument for being an Atheist is because the Bible is flawed in your opinion then your argument is flawed as well. After all, Jesus did say that you can not get a perfect fruit from an imperfect tree. Finally, Christianity comes from Jesus and the New Testament, true that if you take everything the Bible says just as it's said you may miss the message for Jesus explains the laws of the Universe through a series of parables. However, he clearly stated the Golden Rule which means you don't own slaves are mistreat women. There is absolute truth in the Bible in just about every passage you read but you must meditate on it. For example, take Eve being created from Adam. It sound absurd on the surface but it is a scientific fact that woman is created from man.
Vote Placed by Kreakin 3 years ago
Kreakin
OzzyheadTaylurTied
Reasons for voting decision: Based on the resolution in the title, Con has shown it would need to be altered substanially to be a good guide to life. Therefore he has forced a concession and won the argument points.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
OzzyheadTaylurTied
Reasons for voting decision: I felt this debate was weak and empty- TIE