LukeS
acupofGREENTEA

The Bible and evolution

LukeS

Pro

I believe that the bible and evolution can tie into each other very nicely (but not completely). Ill start off with the creation story and the 7 day time period. First I believe that some parts of the bible are meant to be allegorical. some people say that it definitively happened in 7 days and there is no question about it. I assume everyone is in consensus that a day is the sun rising during the day and then the night 24 hours. But according to the bible the sun was not created until the fourth day, so how would a day have been measured then? I view the 7 days more as 7 events, it just makes more sense to me. the authors most likely put it in terms everyone could understand because they obviously did not have the knowledge we have today. Also the story of Adam and Eve, I have had people get furious at me for this. I believe that Adam and Eve could very well have been early neanderthal, the bible never says what Adam and Eve looked like. Im not so sure about us evolving from apes because there has never been a link found between early human and actual apes but there is many similarities i wont deny that. I do believe in creationism and i do believe that god did create all things but maybe he created the early version and meant to guide it along its evolutionary journey to what it is today.
acupofGREENTEA

Con

Like a commenter said earlier, I'm not quite sure where you stand on this issue. However, religion and science do not go together in any way. Really. Anyways, on your argument itself,

Indeed, lots of parts in the bible are meant to be allegorical in nature. There are many different ways one could read the bible. You seem to explain facts from the sun's aging and all of the sorts in your first few sentences, but evolution, according to the dictionary is;

"any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language"

http://dictionary.reference.com...

By creation, the bible most commonly describes things "appearing out of nowhere" instead of evolving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most creationists believe God conjured man from breath and dust. It is unclear about Adam and Eve, as the description is vague aside from them being nude. According to evolution, the Earth took billions of years to evolve. Creationists believe it took merely 7 days.

How could plants survive millions of years without being alive close to the same amount of time as mankind or animals? Evolutionists say this could not be possible as plant would not be able to survive without mankind for millions of years.

Genesis 1:26-28 suggests God created animals separately from human, which already is evidence suggesting the lack of evolution in the bible.

Actually, about scientists finding links to support evolution, there are many ways scientists have proven evolution's existence; one being fossils. Take a look at the fossils from ape and their evolution into human, you will see many similarities amongst their fossils and ours.

Well, that's it! See you again.
LukeS

Pro

Thank you for your reply. This is my first post on this website and I really just wanted to get my opinion out there and see other thoughts on the subject. Im not seeking a way to disprove evolution, or creationism. I am not saying that evolution does not exist, there is tons of scientific evidence supporting it existing. Im am just taking a different stance on the two subjects. As for you saying that creationists believe that everything was created in 7 days, i completely agree, they do believe that. The earth is billions of years old i have always believed that, scientists have proved it through carbon dating of fossils and other processes. As for the bible talking about days, i would think that it was put into terms that the people of the day could easily understand. The people of that time period would not have understood the process of evolution or the like. Im just saying maybe it is possible that the 7 days were 7 events that could have taken billions of years. I believe that science could explain some things in the bible but obviously not all, that is where faith comes in. But couldnt it be possible that God created early life and guided it over time? Its just a different take on the subject and something i believe could be possible. As for you saying that God created man and animal separate, yes i do think he created everything separately. but i also think that he could have created early man and early animals separately and then guided each of their progress to todays outcome? And as for the similarities between ape and man it does say that the animals were created before man and if we are still going on 7 events instead of days then maybe the time period between animals and man was a big gap and maybe god spurred the evolution of the ape to a certain point and then created man which was similar to the ape. and then early man further evolved. Thoughts?
acupofGREENTEA

Con

I still am a little confused on your stance on this argument. I believe you have multiple stances on this argument, which is confusing. Anyways, on your argument. No, while I believed in bible evolution for a while, mankind was created (according to the bible) all at once. There were not much of anything evolving. However, in time, clearly humanity has evolved socially to adapt. According to the bible, humanity appeared to resemble humanity today, although this is not well debated.
Days were billions of years. There is no evidence in the bible of man evolving into what they are today.
LukeS

Pro

LukeS forfeited this round.
acupofGREENTEA

Con

acupofGREENTEA forfeited this round.
LukeS

Pro

LukeS forfeited this round.
acupofGREENTEA

Con

acupofGREENTEA forfeited this round.
Posted by Axiom 5 years ago
Axiom
It isn't clear what the topic of debate is. You're saying that the bible supports evolution 'but not completely?" So you're going to 'sort of' prove that your position is true in some cases? Sounds like you have some interesting thoughts, but there's no set position. I'm not sure what I'd be arguing for or against in this debate.