The Bible does not contain numerology.

I will be arguing that there is no numerology in the Bible. Please give me hard evidence that it does.

Round one-acceptance only.

I accept, I believe that there is numerology in the Bible, I will be arguing that numerology exists in the Bible, I thank Pro for making this debate.

Point 1: the Bible condemns numerology.

Point 2: The chapters are a little bit like essays, but with no thesis. They have at least two or three main ideas. As for the little numbers? Those mark new verses. All he numbers are for scriptural citation. Your turn.

Before I go into my argument I'd like to ask Pro where does the Bible condemn numerology, I will prove that there is numerology in the Bible and many people have similar or same interpretation of the numbers, I will show It clearly God willing in my argument:

Number 7:
Many Bible verses show that numbers or especially number 7 has a great meaning and number 7 is used in many verses as such:

Revelation 4:5 "From the throne came flashes of lightning, and rumblings and peals of thunder, and before the throne were burning seven torches of fire, which are the seven spirits of God, "

Revelation 1:4 "John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, "

Matthew 18:21-22 "Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven. "

Genesis 5:31 "Thus all the days of Lamech were 777 years, and he died."

Joshua 6:15 "On the seventh day, they got up at daybreak and marched around the city seven times in the same manner, except that on that day they circled the city seven times."

From the following Bible verses we can see number 7 is significant and used in alot of Bible verses I have just cited a few, now the interpretation of number 7 in the Bible, here are several sources and the interpretation of number 7 :

"The Number Seven, the numerical symbol of Fullness, Completion, and Perfection" [1]
"Seven is the number of completeness and perfection (both physical and spiritual)." [2]
"Spiritual perfection and fullness or completion." [3]
"Seven - Refers to the number of God, divine perfection or completeness. " [4]

As seen from these interpretation we can see that number 7 shows perfection or completion.

Another Number I would like to show is number 6:

Number 6:
Let us see some verses on number 6:

Exodus 20:9 "9 Six days you shall labor, and do all your work,"

Exodus 20:11 "11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth"

Judges 12:7 "7 And Jephthah judged Israel six years. Then died Jephthah the Gileadite, and was buried in one of the cities of Gilead."

Numbers 35:6 "The cities that you give to the Levites shall be the six cities of refuge,"

Interpretation of Number 6:
"The number of man. " [5]
"six represents both man and rebellion."[6]

We conclude that there is indeed numerology in the Bible, this is just a sample, I await Pro's response and thanks!

Point one: The Bible actually condemns all thing pagan. If you read this article carefully, you will see that numerology has plenty of pagan aspects to it.

Point two: as for your interpretation of seven, these are Biblical events with archaeological confirmation behind them. Therefore, it was God's will alone that any one number was used soporific much in the Bible. The same logic can be applied to most of your interpretations of six. As for the sabbath-related portion of your argument, there were six categorical things God created in Genesis and in six days, then He rested on day seven. Nothing numerological about that.

Back to you, Con.

We are talking about Biblical numerology, which is contained the Biblical verses I've quoted and shown the interpretation as per number, the link you have provided talks about numerology in general, Chinese numerology, Abjad numerology,etc, therefore Biblical numerology is in no relations to paganistic or other numerology depending on their set belief.

This is not my interpretation, It is the interpretation of scholars, still outside archaeological confirmation(which in no way related to this matter) number 7 is used more than 700 times in the Bible, clearly number 7 represents a significant meaning shown from set of verses, number 7 alone is used over 50 times in Book of Revelation, when the group went around the city of Jericho 7 times on the seventh day, this clearly numerological, same applies to number 6, I have not shown anything related to the sabbath, I have no idea what are you talking about.

Counterpoint 1:

Numerology, essentially, is the interpretation of numbers as a means of predicting the future. If this is really accurate, then there must be a deity giving us numbers so we can interpret the numbers. There is nothing, however, in the Bible that says God wants us to interpret the numbers we see or that He gives them to us. Therefore, numerology is not monotheistic or scientifically probable at all. If it is neither, then it must be pagan. And as I stated earlier, the Bible condemns all things pagan, and the Bible does not teach polytheism of any kind and therefore has no numerology.

Counterpoint 2:

As for the number of times six and seven are used? That was inevitable because the Bible is hundreds and hundreds of pages long. Also, God telling the Israelites to walk around Jericho once for each day of the week it had been was probably intended to strengthen their faith, because it makes God look like an idiot to any atheists does it not?

Counterpoint 3:

"Archaeological confirmation... is in no way related to this matter." Yes it is, just in a way you did not understand. Allow me to explain it: if the Bible can be confirmed by archaeology, then it is less likely to be fictional. If it is fictional, that makes it more likely to contain numerology. But since the Bible is fact, it is less likely to contain numerology because if you yourself were writing nonfiction, would it not be more difficult to work numerology into the writing than if you were writing fiction?

I'd like to begin to address the first issue:

Rebuttal 1:
"Numerology, essentially, is the interpretation of numbers as a means of predicting the future."
Actually Numerology means the following: "the branch of knowledge that deals with the occult significance of numbers."[1]
again, we are speaking biblical numerology, I think God will make everything mean something significant even numbers, Bible as I said uses the number 7 more than 700 times, we are talking about this[2] Biblical numerology:

"Biblical numerology refers to the interpretation, by some biblical scholars, of numerical values used in the Pentateuch and, consequently, the New Testament that they believe relate to symbolism, which imply quality or attributes, of the value rather than to an actual quantity."
Yes the Bible does not teach paganism(OT at least), I extend my argument on the definition above, that numerology imply quality and attributes instead of just quantity.

Rebuttal 2:
Basically in Pro's second point he is just saying that the Biblical numerology or how much the numbers mentioned in the Bible is a mere coincidence which is false, as I refuted the above, now I'd get to my points why does the Bible contain Numerology:
1) Over 700 mentioning of number 7, now that is a lot, consider this "In the Book of Revelation, there are multiple examples, including 7 churches, 7 bowls, 7 seals, 7 trumpets, and 7 spirits." this is not a mere coincidence.
2) God wants to value his word by putting meanings in every thing he says(Even though I do not believe that Bible fully is God's word, this is just for the sake of the debate).
3)The Bible mentions Numerology! :
Rev. 13:18 "18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

Rebuttal 3:
Numerology is not a fiction, people are interpreting the Bible, that is it.

Loveshismom forfeited this round.

Pro conceded, therefore I proved there is indeed Numerology in the Bible, I thank Pro for making this debate, and so long!
Vote Placed by Anon_Y_Mous 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Last round forfeiture. Con's arguments and sources were superior.