The Bible does not express the modern doctrine that once you die, you go straight to Heaven or Hell.

I am a supporter of the position that the Bible never says you go to Heaven or Hell right away after death. Do not confuse this with me being a supporter of purgatory.

My biases: Young earth creationist with a literal interpretation of most scripture (symbolic verses, such as those in Revelation, are the exception). My beliefs fall most closely to that of Eastern Orthodoxy, but there are some noticeable differences.

Here is an outline of this debate:
Round 1- Acceptance and introduction
Round 2- Establishing your argument(s) for your position
Round 3- Refuting the opponent's argument(s) established in Round 2

By accepting this debate, you agree to debate in accordance to the site's rules and in accordance to the above outline.

I would like to thank Pro for posting this debate and I accept.

I am of the Roman Catholic faith and while I personally do NOT believe in purgatory, I do believe in the literal meaning of the words Christ spoke.

It is in the Christian doctrine that God will judge everyone, and then they will go to heaven or hell. What many people don't realize is that the Bible and Early church did not preach that this judgement would happen right away. Instead, the Bible and Early church taught that all people are judged at the same time, and before that they are not in heaven or hell, but in an intermediate realm.

Acts 24:15 says "And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust."

John 3:13 says "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven."

Psalm 30:3 says "O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave [Sheol, which signifies a place for dead people]: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit."

Combined, these verses indicate many things:
1. The "place of the dead (Sheol)" and the pit (Hell) are different. How can someone's soul be brought up from Sheol and not go down into the pit if they are the same thing?

2. No man is in heaven yet.

3. Both the just and unjust, the Christians and non-Christians will be resurrected.

"Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." John 3:18

"And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." Matthew 25:46

That argument states that people go to hell, but it fails to state when that occurs.

msaka33 forfeited this round.