ogopie
vardas0antras

The Bible has too many contradictions

vardas0antras

ogopie

Pro

After being a religious man, I studied the ways of Atheism and I learned the errors of my ways. Here are the reasons I converted:

The Bible is riddled with repetitions and contradictions, things that the Bible bangers would be quick to point out in anything that they want to criticize. For instance, Genesis 1 and 2 disagree about the order in which things are created, and how satisfied God is about the results of his labors. The flood story is really two interwoven stories that contradict each other on how many of each kind of animal are to be brought into the Ark--is it one pair each or seven pairs each of the "clean" ones? The Gospel of John disagrees with the other three Gospels on the activities of Jesus Christ (how long had he stayed in Jerusalem--a couple of days or a whole year?) and all four Gospels contradict each other on the details of Jesus Christ's last moments and resurrection. The Gospels of Matthew and Luke contradict each other on the genealogy of Jesus Christ's father; though both agree that Joseph was not his real father. Repetitions and contradictions are understandable for a hodgepodge collection of documents, but not for some carefully constructed treatise, reflecting a well-thought-out plan.

Of the various methods I've seen to "explain" these:

1. "That is to be taken metaphorically." In other words, what is written is not what is meant. I find this entertaining, especially for those who decide what ISN'T to be taken as other than the absolute WORD OF GOD--which just happens to agree with the particular thing they happen to want...

2. "There was more there than...." This is used when one verse says "there was a" and another says "there was b," so they decide there was "a" AND "b"--which is said nowhere. This makes them happy, since it doesn't say there WASN'T "a+b." But it doesn't say there was "a+b+little green martians." This is often the same crowd that insists theirs is the ONLY possible interpretation (i.e., only "a") and the only way. I find it entertaining they they don't mind adding to verses.

3. "It has to be understood in context." I find this amusing because it comes from the same crowd that likes to push likewise extracted verses that support their particular view. Often it is just one of the verses in the contradictory set which is supposed to be taken as THE TRUTH when, if you add more to it, it suddenly becomes "out of context." How many of you have gotten JUST John 3:16 (taken out of all context) thrown at you?

4. "There was just a copying/writing error." This is sometimes called a "transcription error," as in where one number was meant and an incorrect one was copied down. Or what was "quoted" wasn't really what was said, but just what the author thought was said. And that's right--I'm not disagreeing with events, I'm disagreeing with what is WRITTEN. Which is apparently agreed that it is incorrect. This is an amusing misdirection to the problem that the Bible itself is wrong.

5. "That is a miracle." Naturally. That is why it is stated as fact.

6. "God works in mysterious ways." A useful dodge when the speaker doesn't understand the conflict between what the Bible SAYS and what they WISH it said.

Source: http://www.infidels.org...
vardas0antras

Con

You start by saying that the Bible contains contradictions, please provide 3 contradictions for me to focus on. If I refute your contradictions, I win so feel free to take your time. Also present the verses so that I would know where to find these contradictions. Incidentally I also find others error funny ergo we will enjoy this debate.

1. "That is to be taken metaphorically."
I cannot fathom how this can be a problem. The Bible contains metaphors and parables though its not as common as one might think. Other verses simply can't be metaphors. Are you suggesting that all books may use the art of metaphors (and similes) but the Bible is an exception ?
2. "There was more there than...."
You do realize that the Bible is a collection of books hence things will be recorded from different perspectives ? If we agree on that then we don't have a problem anymore. The last part is just rambling.
3. "It has to be understood in context."
There is no excuse for taking a Bible verse out of context. I hope my opponent won't do this. Additionally John 3:16 doesn't conflict with the Bible when considering the context hence its more than okay to use it out of context.
4. "There was just a copying/writing error."
I will argue that a translational error is not a contradiction however for my statement to work I have to expose the translational error and show you the correct one. Wherefore my stance is that what was done was written but not necessarily translated correctly (after all we have too many bible versions for a translational error not to happen).
5. "That is a miracle."
How is this an argument ?
6. "God works in mysterious ways."
I will argue that we can't comprehend the mind of God and unless you object I don't see how we could fully understand the ways of God but rest assured that the Bible contains no contradictions.

I know that at this moment this is an assertion but I decided to post this nevertheless:
"The Internet Infidels website is merely a repackaging of old conspiracy theories, as well as blatant misinformation and overstatements, almost all of which have long since been abandoned by the consensus of scholarship. Nonetheless, the infidels continue to attract a substantial volume of internet traffic." Gotquestions.org
ogopie

Pro

ogopie forfeited this round.
vardas0antras

Con

Ogopie has forfeited this round

Vote Con
ogopie

Pro

ogopie forfeited this round.
vardas0antras

Con

My opponent has forfeited

Vote Con
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
"Two people reading it with different results"

I am afraid your comment could be only said of one didn't read genesis, yes there are different interpretations but what you said isn't a matter of interpretation but of ignorance (not reading or perhaps reading the book but sadly skipping a line or two, we all make mistakes lol)

"Do you think it contains a good moral structure?"
Well um this website says noooooo:
http://www.evilbible.com...
So I suppose my open minded open and truth searching brain says no.
XD No offence but that ought to be closer to truth than reading the bible.

"Get off this trip about me lying."
Obvious is obvious, you are a liar and a bad one too, if you had read the Bible your dumb comment wouldn't be here, thats a fact I know for sure !!!!

Awaited rebuttal:
Of all clean beasts take seven and seven, the male and the female. Genesis 7:2
Did you read the Bible ?

:) Don't worry this is much more common than you think so I really don't care if you lied, feel free to contact me.
Posted by Dave_82 6 years ago
Dave_82
Get off this trip about me lying. I have read the bible and I think its stupid you insisting I am just because we apparently see different thing. Two people reading it with different results...that's never happened before! (said with as much sarcasm as I can muster). The point is, do you believe that book is perfect? Do you think it contains a good moral structure?
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
Now that I read my previous comment, it was offensive, sorry but its just too obvious that you're lying for me to respect you.
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
Nah I'd be wasting my time. Like I like to say an idiot will always be an idiot.
Posted by Dave_82 6 years ago
Dave_82
OK, if you really think that there are no contradictions in the bible, then I think it is you who has never spent more than two minutes at a time with your nose in that book. It full of contradiction, and I mean a LOT. If you do not believe me, send me a message asking and I will send you innumerable biblical contradiction, right out of the book. Undeniable contradictions.
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
"What, just because I'm an atheist you think I've never read the bible? "
No its just that your knowledge of the bible is lame at best, misguiding at worst. Anyone who has read the genesis is laughing at your ignorance at this moment (For some reason this is getting depressing for me but hey its a wonderful life).

Wherefore you're a liar.
Posted by Dave_82 6 years ago
Dave_82
What, just because I'm an atheist you think I've never read the bible? I guess I just pulled all that out of nowhere? The truth is I was a Christian for many years and it was reading the bible and noticing all of it's fallacies that led me to atheism
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
"I have read the bible"
Liar
Posted by Dave_82 6 years ago
Dave_82
How is that ignorance? I have read the bible and all it says is that when they got off the ark, Noah took of every clean beast and every clean fowl and made burnt offerings to the Lord. It makes no attempt to explain where these animals came from. If they were the animals from the ark then he would have made extinct every "clean" species, since it makes a point to say "every clean beast and every clean fowl". There were no more animals in the world but those on the ark.
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
To respond to your comment I'd say READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE READ THE BIBLE before you make such stupid arguments, just plain ignorance on your part.
Vote Placed by advil0 6 years ago
advil0
ogopievardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by chengste 6 years ago
chengste
ogopievardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by MattPalumbo 6 years ago
MattPalumbo
ogopievardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
ogopievardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
ogopievardas0antrasTied