The Bible is Fact

The truth is that the Bible is correct all throughout. There are many different sources that prove this, such as Scriptural, literary, historical, and scientific evidence.

First off, The Bible is scientifically accurate because it said long before anyone ever thought of the earth being spherical, that it was, in fact, spherical. This also was not stated as a maybe, but as God's knowledge.

Since you did not post any rules for this debate I will jump right in.

Not only is pros information lacking it is plainly incorrect and not accurate.
To begin I will show the evidence that believers use to say that the bible said the Earth is spherical.

1). First believers use two main verses to support their argument.
1.) Isaiah 40:22-It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,
and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;

2.) Job 26:10- He stretches out the north over the void
and hangs the earth on nothing.

Well there is a few main problems with these points. First I will address Isaiah 40:22.
1). It is he who sits above the CIRCLE OF THE EARTH. A circle is not a ball, sphere, or an egg shaped object. A circle is a flat round surface the same as lets say a rectangle or a triangle.
2). "A circle is no more a sphere in Scripture than it is in geometry.[1]"
3). The Geographical Meaning of Earth Seas in Genesis 1:10
by Paul Seely:

"There is one verse in the OT, however, which has often been cited at least by laymen as a proof that the earth was understood to be a globe. I refer to Isaiah 40:22 which speaks of God as the One sitting above the circle of the earth. This verse does imply that the earth is circular, but there is nothing either in the underlying Hebrew word (hug) or in the context which necessarily implies anything more than the circularity of the flat earth-disc which the historical context and Genesis 1 have given us as the meaning of. If Isaiah had intended to speak of the earth as a globe, he would probably have used the word he used in 22:18 (dur), meaning 'ball.' [2]

Now onto Job 26:10- Now this one is a little more interesting to prove not relevant, but still is not supporting this cause.
1). Now the verse seems quite amazing for someone to say in the old testament time "And hangs the Earth on nothing." Well if I wasn't mistaken that sounds like what we know about gravity nowadays, but the bible doesn't suggest that. It suggest that instead of being hung on nothing it "rested on pillars." I will now give my evidence, from the bible, for this accusation.
1.1). "He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble. (From the NIV Bible, Job 9:6)"
"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. (From the NIV Bible, Job 38:4)[2]"

Now since I have shown some things that may make you question what is being said in the Bible lets go deeper.
I will now provide verses from the Bible that suggests the Earth has corners, has an edge, and the sun hurry backs to where it rises??

1) 4 Corners.
Isaiah 11:12
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)

2). Edges or that Earth has an ending point.
Job 38:13
13 That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? (KJV)

Jeremiah 16:19
19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress, and my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles shall come unto thee from the ENDS OF THE EARTH, and shall say, Surely our fathers have inherited lies, vanity, and things wherein there is no profit. (KJV)

Daniel 4:11
11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH: (KJV)

3). Sun hurries back to where it rises??
"The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises. (From the NIV Bible, Ecclesiastes 1:5)"

Now I will end with showing what the Bible would have said if it actually thought that the earth was round, a ball, sphere, or egg shaped.
"1. Job 37:33 He unleashes his lightning beneath the whole heaven and sends it to the ends of the earth.

Riaz : Lighting doesn't travel around the earth the biblical god thought his earth was a small, flat one.

2. Job 38:44 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it?

Riaz : If the author of the bible thought of a globe earth then the last question in job 38: 44 should of read "Who stretched a measuring line around it?"

Job 38:13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

Riaz : Does a sphere have ends, and how can you grab the ends of a sphere? Only a flat disc or square could be grabbed and shaken in this way.[2]"

With all of this being said and pointed out I think we can all agree that the Bible did not and does not say the Earth is a sphere. I believe, and you all can make of this what you want, that it is suggesting that the Earth is flat or dish like, is resting on pillars, possibly has 4 corners?, and has an ending point. Which is obviously quite absurd with our knowledge of Earth currently.

I would like to take this time to thank my opponent and to anyone watching this debate.

talacon1 forfeited this round.

I continue all arguments to next round.

talacon1 forfeited this round.

andddddddddddddddd thank you.
Posted by dhardage 1 year ago
The Christian bible is rife with self-contradictory verses and statements the are easily shown to be false. It is, of course, not even close to totally factual. It is religio-historic fiction written and edited to provide support for one mythology and the promulgators thereof.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
You should admit that god never gives you the freedom to follow the commandments you like and neglect the rest. Nor does god tell you that you can relax the penalties he has imposed for breaking them, which is death. This is why Christians follow there own morals and not there god's. So if the bible is true and god is perfect you should be killing as god commands you. The more you know the less you believe.