Miasma
guesswhat101

The Bible is Provably False

Miasma

Pro

I decided to discuss this topic due to my conversion to Deism 2 months ago. I wanted to discuss the Bible, specifically whether or not it is provably wrong, and whether or not this matters to Christianity as a whole.

Rules:

1)The Burden of Proof is on me, the pro, to prove the bible is wrong.
2) The word wrong, in the context of this debate, has the following meanings:
Factually incorrect, meaning that the bible promotes a provable falsehood.
AND
Morally wrong, meaning that the Bible advocates actions or ideas the would be considered morally offensive in today's society.
3): To prove is defined as:
to demonstrate the truth or existence of (something) by evidence or argument:*
4)The version of the bible with which we shall be debating on shall be chosen by the contender, providing that is accessible online and written in English
5) The first round will be used for acceptance, and to list the version of the bible being used in the debate
6) The second round will be for each side to state their case, and not to directly refute the opponent.
7) The third round will be for refuting the opponents argument
8) The fourth round will be used for rebuilding your case, addressing questions posed by commenters and the opponent, and to conclude the argument.
9) Each side will be respectful of the other persons opinion and religion to the best of their ability.
10) Each side will make their debate readable and coherent

*Taken from the Oxford Online Dictionary of American English

I look forward to discussing this. Thanks to whoever decides to take up this argument.
guesswhat101

Con

I accept your debate and as indicated by you, I will choose the bible.

The bible I choose is the Jeffersonian Bible
Miasma

Pro

Miasma forfeited this round.
guesswhat101

Con

So my opponent has forfeited the debate. This is because I chose a version of the bible that has barely any material that can be refuted by modern science as well as moral material which can be debated upon fairly by either side as being moral or immoral.

My opponent says he is a deist so he should be familiar with this version of the bible as it was compiled by a deist (Thomas Jefferson). The Jeffersonian Bible, or The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, is a bible with selections carefully selected by Jefferson that coincided with his deist beliefs. This bible is also notable because it excludes many of Jesus's "miracles" as well as his virgin birth. Hoping to refute Genesis (easy for anyone to do), this bible also does not include the story of the creation of the world.
Miasma

Pro

Miasma forfeited this round.
guesswhat101

Con

No comment
Miasma

Pro

Miasma forfeited this round.
guesswhat101

Con

I should probably justify myself in choosing this version of the bible just in case. This bible does not list many of the miracles of Jesus because Jefferson, just like Pro, was a Deist. Jefferson did include many of Jesus's parables in his bible which could've easily been debated upon. However, Pro was trying to go for the simple argument of the bible (such as the King James Version) being scientifically inaccurate. The Jeffersonian Bible contains parables such as: when Jesus kicked out the traders from the temple, or the parable of the dishonest servant. Unconditional forgiveness and hypocrisy are two such morals of this bible that could've been debated on but they were not because Pro forfeited. Vote Con.
Posted by lmudude 4 years ago
lmudude
Ok i am arguing with con on a different debate but goly pro your dumb. Im totally with con on this the bible is 110% real. How else did you get here. WhAt do you think happened a giant bird came and made earth no god came and made it. I could argue about this all day im a freakin pastors son
Posted by guesswhat101 4 years ago
guesswhat101
I was not joking. This is a ridiculously easy win for you if I were to use a traditional bible, this at least makes it fair
Posted by Miasma 4 years ago
Miasma
your are joking when you say you want to use the Jeffersonian bible, right?
Posted by guesswhat101 4 years ago
guesswhat101
Depends on which bible you use
Posted by Skeptikitten 4 years ago
Skeptikitten
Meh, this should be an easy win for the pro. You don't even have to get past Genesis and Exodus to prove the bible factually incorrect.