jball_19
AtheistPerson

The Bible is True

AtheistPerson

jball_19

Pro

First round is an acceptance round

Please do not be offesnive. This includes no swearing or hate.

I will be debating that the Christian Bible is true.
AtheistPerson

Con

I accept the debate and look forward to a well-done argument.
jball_19

Pro

1.Manuscript Evidence. There are way more copies of the biblical manuscripts, with remarkable consistency between them, than there are for any of the classics like Plato, Aristotle and Socrates. "There is no body of ancient literature in the world which enjoys such a wealth of good textual attestation as the New Testament." F.F. Bruce, The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
2.Archaeological Evidence. Again and again archaeological discoveries have verified the accuracy of the historical and cultural references in the Bible. The more they dig, the more it confirms the Bible. "It is important to note that Near Eastern archaeology has demonstrated the historical and geographical reliability of the Bible in many important areas." E.M. Blaiklock, The New International Dictionary of Biblical Archaeology.
3.Eyewitness Accounts. The Bible was written by people who witnessed the events it describes; many were persecuted or martyred but never changed their story. Would you die for something you knew was untrue? "It is no moderate approbation of Scripture that it has been sealed by the blood of so many witnesses, especially when we reflect that they died to render testimony to the faith "with a firm and constant, yet sober, zeal toward God." John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion.
4.Corroborating Accounts. There are plenty of references in non-biblical sources to the events described in the Bible. The Jewish historian Josephus, born in 37 AD, "provide(s) indispensable background material for the student of"New Testament history. In them, we meet many figures well known to us from the New Testament. Some of his writings provide direct commentary on New Testament references." J.D. Douglas, ed., The New Bible Dictionary.
5.Literary Consistency. The Bible contains 66 books written over 1,500 years by 40 different writers but it tells one "big story" of God's plan of salvation that culminated in Jesus Christ. You can't even pass a secret around a circle of 12 people and get the same message at the end. "There is indeed a wide variety of human authors and themes (in the Bible). Yet behind these"there lies a single divine author with a single unifying theme." John R.W. Stott, Understanding the Bible.
6.Prophetic Consistency. There are over 300 specific prophecies in the Old Testament that are fulfilled in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ in the New Testament. "The very dimension of the sheer fulfillment of prophecy of the Old Testament Scriptures should be enough to convince anyone that we are dealing with a supernatural piece of literature".God has himself planted within the scriptures an internal consistency that bears witness that this is his Word." R.C. Sproul, Now That"s a Good Question.
7.Expert Scrutiny. The early church had extremely high standards for what books were judged to be authentic and therefore included in the Bible. A book had to have been written by an Apostle or someone in their immediate circle, had to conform to basic Christian faith and had to be in widespread use among many churches. This was a careful process of "the people of God in many different places, coming to recognize what other believers elsewhere found to be true"; these writings were truly God"s word. G.J. Wenham, J.A. Motyer, D.A. Carson and R.T. France, The New Bible Commentary.
8.Leader Acceptance. A majority of the greatest leaders and thinkers in history have affirmed the truth and impact of the Bible. "I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given man. All the good from the Savior of the world is communicated to us through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong." Abraham Lincoln.
9.Global Influence. The Bible has had a greater influence on the laws, art, ethics, music and literature of world civilization than any other book in history. Can you think of one that even comes close? "Christianity", as set forth in the Bible "is responsible for a disproportionately large number of the humanitarian advances in the history of civilization"in education, medicine, law, the fine arts, working for human rights and even in the natural sciences"." Craig L. Blomberg, in Christian Apologetics: A Comprehensive Case for Biblical Faith.
10.Changed Lives. From St. Augustine to Martin Luther to Joni Eareckson Tada to countless everyday men, women and children, the words of the Bible have transformed lives unmistakably and forever. "As unnamed masses of Christians down through the ages have shown us, the Bible is the most reliable place to turn for finding the key to a life of love and good works." T.M. Moore, The Case for the Bible.
I hope this list helps you become more confident about the Bible. But don"t forget: whenever you have an opportunity to defend God's Word, be sure to "speak the truth in love" (Eph. 4:15). No one listens to an angry Bible reader. (If I missed any reasons that are important to you, please add them in the comment section below. I'd love to hear from you.)
AtheistPerson

Con

Are you kidding me?
I have already done my research on this topic before and I've read the same article that you have just copied and pasted. I don't think you deserve any credit for that.

http://www.essentialblog.com... is the website.

But, I am going to put in some effort unlike you.

1. If we were to believe the Bible, then we would have to believe the Earth was created before the stars, which is the wrong order. If the stars were created 10,000 years ago, we wouldn't be able to see stars that are more than 10,000 light years away. That's because if a star was further away than 10,000 light years, the light from that star wouldn't have got here yet. Our galaxy alone is about 100,000 light years across. If the Bible were true, we wouldn't be able to see but 1/10th the way across our own galaxy. We surely wouldn't be able to see other galaxies or galactic clusters or know that the universe is expanding.

2. If the flood actually happened like the Bible depicted and there were only eight people that survived, what were the chances of them continuing a family and telling the tale?

3. The Bible states that the Earth is "resting on pillars" and angels being on the "corners of Earth." You seriously can't believe the Earth is flat can you?
jball_19

Pro

Ok, that was offensive because you said that I didnt [ut in any effort and that I copied and pasted the article. You also said "You can't believe the Earth is flat" and "what were the chances of this." So stop attacking me
AtheistPerson

Con

I'm not going to do this.
Posted by Vajrasattva-LeRoy 1 year ago
Vajrasattva-LeRoy
Many Bibles in English call me Jesus.
My name wasn't Jesus-
I had a Hebrew name pronounced Yeshua.
Any real doctor can tell you that virgins can get pregnant & have babies.
The 3rd nail proves that I couldn't have been on that cross.
It was somebody else.
The Romans used 3 nails in their crucifixions, 1 through each hand or wrist,
& 1 through the feet or ankles.
Any crucified body which wasn't dropped - which wasn't likely- would've
had big holes in its feet or ankles, & probably wouldn't have been able to walk.
According to the Bible, I was walking around perfectly normally a few days after the crucifixion.
Things were created in AGES, not DAYS.
Wouldn't providing proof for one's opponent tend to make you even more credible?
Claiming to see something impossible is claiming to, not providing an eye- witness account.
Posted by Surrealism 1 year ago
Surrealism
The way I feel about Pro's last round argument is, to quote the youtuber Armoured Skeptic:

"Are you advocating that he produce proof for both sides? In a DEBATE?"
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
bible=buy bull
Posted by palmkrawler 1 year ago
palmkrawler
There is another flaw in your argument.

You opinion is that if people die for a reason and their story does not change then absolutely without a doubt their story MUST be true.

Let me remind you of Heaven's Gate. These people committed suicide so that they could hitch a ride with an alien space craft. They REALLY believed this and I am sure their story was unwavering and unchanged. And they died for this story. BUT, that does NOT make it true. Just makes it that much sadder.

Anyone can be brainwashed into believing any half-brained story. Especially when they are young children and have not developed their critical thinking skills yet. Best time to take children to church.
Posted by palmkrawler 1 year ago
palmkrawler
I would like to put in my two cents worth.

I have no problem with "historical" references in the Bible. I am sure SOME of the Bible took place
similarly as described in the Bible. That would mean that SOME of the Bible is true.

BUT, I have serious issues with the parts that have to do with magic and defy physics and break the laws of the natural world.

Did you know many people claimed to be eye witnesses of seeing Elvis alive in 1980? And elsewhere, too. So, since it was eye witness testimony, it must be absolutely correct. Right? or Wrong?

There is no such thing as an immaculate conception, people don't die for three days and become resurrected, and there aren't any god or gods that created the heavens and earth in 6 days. And there is not ANY evidence that corroborates ANY of these supernatural hocus pocus things.

So, SOME of the Bible is true, SOME of it is definitely false.
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 1 year ago
Gabe1e
jball_19AtheistPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Misspelled "Okay." Pro basically felt Con was attacking him, which he is supposed to do, after all, it is a debate. So arguments and conduct to Con.. Also, 7 point win because of plagiarism.
Vote Placed by gomergcc 1 year ago
gomergcc
jball_19AtheistPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: 7 point win due to plagiarism
Vote Placed by TheNamesFizzy 1 year ago
TheNamesFizzy
jball_19AtheistPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Plagiarism.
Vote Placed by Eli01 1 year ago
Eli01
jball_19AtheistPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: CON, copy and paste is never right. S&G: Tied Arguments: CON Plagirism again. Soruces: Plagirism again. Although i agree with PRO i do not agree with copy and paste.
Vote Placed by BDPershing 1 year ago
BDPershing
jball_19AtheistPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: In truth, the bible is based on old history recorded by other philosophers and religions, it was a ploy to make the mythical evens seem even more possible. "Most convincing lie is one that incorporates the truth"
Vote Placed by Ozzyhead 1 year ago
Ozzyhead
jball_19AtheistPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: I did not vote in favor of my bias. The conduct of someone copying and pasting is in so much poor taste. The only thing worse than that on this site is racial and sexist attacks. Pro didn't proof read his last round. Con's argument did go uncontested. Regardless of pro's reasoning, pro should have rebutted con's arguments. Con credited pro's source for pro so con is the only one to present a link. Pro your argument was a copy and paste.
Vote Placed by Oliark 1 year ago
Oliark
jball_19AtheistPersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: 100 % PLAGIARISM from Pro in R2