Innkeep
Gdougie

The Bible is a reliable and accurate text.

Gdougie has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Innkeep

Con

The Bible is not a reliable or accurate text and is not valid evidence for its own claims.
Round 1: Acceptance/Opening Statement
Round 2: Argument and Evidence/Source Material
Round 3: Closing Arguments

Define:
"Reliable: adjective 1.that may be relied on or trusted; dependable in achievement, accuracy, honesty, etc.:"
"Accurate: adjective 1.free from error or defect; consistent with a standard, rule, or model; precise; exact."
-Dictionary.com

Thank you and may the best arguments win.
Gdougie

Pro

I accept this challenge.

Opening Statement

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong with our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work." - 2 Timothy 4:16-17
Innkeep

Con

Welcome to the Debate!

As we know my stance is that the bible is inaccurate and not reliable. The text itself will often attempt to give itself validation. When we look at the scriptures Jesus says in John 3:12 "If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?". I agree if I do not believe what your Bible tells me than how am I to trust your afterlife myth.

In Genesis God starts of with creating light on the first day and yet no sun until the forth day. Also in Genesis 1 God creates trees and than man. Genesis Chapter 2 states man was created before the trees, this is also true with the birds, other animals and even the woman narrative.

Leaving the creation we can analyze the very ark Noah and his family supposedly created. Thanks to the very detailed instructions we could accurately measure the validity of its statements. This Ark would have no way of surviving the 360 years at sea that the bible describes. Not to mention any plant life on earth being submerged for a full year. These are truths we can use to disprove the claims associated in the Bible and so far it has not been able to withstand reason and science. https://www.youtube.com...

Leaving the Old Testament as I am sure many Christians will shy from its atrocities, we find the Gospels are completely different. The lineage of Christ is completely contradictory and on top of the discrepancies they use Joseph as evidence that Jesus was a descendant of King David. Even if the discrepancies were not present if we are to believe that Mary was a virgin how are we to take into account Joseph's lineage in reference to Jesus?Not only is the lineage wrong but the virgin birth, ressurection and much more. So I will respond to the versus I used earlier from Joh 3:12. How could I trust this book with such faulty truths it has provided?
http://www.compellingtruth.org...

Here are a few more from the website http://infidels.org...
NU 11:33 God inflicts sickness.
JB 2:7 Satan inflicts sickness.

NU 15:24-28 Sacrifices can, in at least some case, take away sin.
HE 10:11 They never take away sin.

NU 25:9 24,000 died in the plague.
1CO 10:8 23,000 died in the plague

1KI 4:26 Solomon had 40,000 horses (or stalls for horses).
2CH 9:25 He had 4,000 horses (or stalls for horses)

The bible is loaded with discrepancies, miracles and myths. In order to believe the Bible is accurate and factual you must have more than faith you must lack common knowledge and understanding. Forsake knowledge and reason and like a child you will fall for anything.

Gdougie

Pro

Thank you to my opponent for holding this debate, and for allowing me the opportunity to spread Truth to you and the voters.

Let me start by saying that part of believing in the Bible and its text is acknowledging that God's power is limitless, and He can do all things. God is not a human being like you and me, He is almighty and powerful. I'm not trying to preach, but I feel it's important to reveal that God's power is limitless.

John 3:12 reads, "But if you don't believe me when I tell you about earthly things, how can you possibly believe if I tell you about heavenly things?" My opponent misunderstands what this verse is actually saying. Jesus is explaining to Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader, that if a religious leader such as himself does not understand what can happen on earth, how will he understand the limitless power of God in heaven. Here is all of the story (A).

The easiest way to explain to my opponent why light and the sun are created on different days, is to explain that God is light.

"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all." 1 John 1:5

God creates light on the first day and separates it from the darkness (Genesis 1:3-5). Keep in mind God's power is limitless, He can do all things. God then creates "lights" in the sky to govern day and night (Genesis 1:14). Basically, light already existed before the sun. From a scientific standpoint, the sun was created but that was not the point at which light existed. Light had existed before the sun, so there is no discrepancy between the Bible and science on this issue. The issue regarding vegetation is somewhat harder, however, the vegetation in Genesis 1 is different from Genesis 2. The other discrepancies between Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 are invalid.

Noah's ark is real. My opponent is mistaken when he says the flood covered the earth for 360 days.

"And the floodwater covered the earth for 150 days." Genesis 7:24

Evidence which shows that Noah's Ark existed can be found here and here. (B)(C)

The Gospels of Jesus Christ are all the same. They are different perceptions from different people, which in reality are all the same thing (D).

I realize that some discrepancies do rise up, but when you do your homework instead of pulling facts of the Internet, you realize that the Bible is Truth.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong with our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip His people to do every good work." - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline." - Proverbs 1:7

(A)https://www.biblegateway.com...
(B)http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
(C)http://www.charismanews.com...
(D)http://www.christianitytoday.com...
Innkeep

Con

Thank you for a wonderful debate.

To conclude this debate I want to just reiterate my stance. I do not believe that the bible is an accurate or reliable source. I have shown examples that it is not free from error or defect; it is not consistent with a standard, rule, or model; it is no precise; nor is it exact. Using the definition for accuracy I further state it lacks the validity to be used in any case as factual.

Thank you and may the best argument win.
Innkeep
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
define; "inspired by God"
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
You can't use the bible to prove the validity of the bible.
The bible does not meet the criteria for a credible source.
Name the authors of the bible and the dates they penned the books?
Name the editors and the publishers of the first printing?
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Everything is reliable..If....
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
well you can rely on anything however bad.. reliable is religion
Posted by Innkeep 1 year ago
Innkeep
You can use whatever you think will convince the audience your case is accurate.
Posted by Gdougie 1 year ago
Gdougie
I'm assuming we can use the actual Bible for evidence, or just scientific evidence??
Posted by Innkeep 1 year ago
Innkeep
"The Bible is not a reliable or accurate text and is not valid evidence for its own claims." my opening statement.
Posted by Gdougie 1 year ago
Gdougie
Are you arguing that the Bible is a reliable text, or are you arguing that it isn't???
Posted by ThinkBig 1 year ago
ThinkBig
Anytime!
Posted by Innkeep 1 year ago
Innkeep
Thank you for the tip. Greatly appreciate the advice.