Briannj17
FMJG

The Bible is against Homosexuality

Briannj17

Briannj17

Pro

This is my first argument that I myself made. I have seen similar but they were not appealing to me. I know this is now a society where homosexuality is prevalent, however I believe the bible is clear on homosexuality. Although I myself have family members who are homosexual I believe it is a choice. I guess I can say this is a no holds barred debate and am hoping to see a great debate! May the best argument win!
FMJG

Con

Homosexuality may be classified as a sin in the Bible, but so is pretty much everything else. Wearing clothes with mixed fabrics is, along with accusing and wearing clothes of the opposite sex. Titus 3:9 says: "But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, for these are unprofitable and worthless." Technically, by having this argument, we are sinning. Of all the sins in the Bible, we seem to ignore all of them except for homosexuality. The Bible is against most things that are part of everyday life, and we only pay attention to one of them. Whatever happened to Mark 12:31- "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."?
Briannj17

Pro

Wearing clothes with mixed fabrics is not considered a moral law, and further study would prove that wearing clothes with mixed fabrics is allowed. It was only dealing with linen and wool. Dealing with cross-dressing, the passage is talking about wearing the opposite sexes clothing to deceive. This is an abomination. So women can keep on wearing jeans. However nothing should be deceiving, if you cant tell whether your a man or women in the way you dress or act there is a problem. There are many texts like it to say to avoid arguments however I believe it is a lazy thing to bring up. For example the death penalty when it was still on. Should we have kept it? Or have just said, lets avoid this argument and keep it forever. 2 Timothy 3:16 ESV say "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness," This is not sinning, we are having a good discussion that may help others in their faith. I totally disagree with you on the everyday life thing and most of them are not dealing with moral and ethical topics. I love the last one. There's no doubt in my mind that Christ loves everyone. Sinners and righteous alike. Even though it is not for me to judge whether every LGBTTQ person, will or won't be accepted by God but the Bible is clear. Those who are living in sexual immorality such as homosexuality (1 Cor 6:10; Rom 1:26-28; Col 3:5-7; Gal 5:21) (1 Cor 5:9-10) will not inherit the kingdom of God.
FMJG

Con

If those who are living in sexual immorality such as homosexuality will not inherit the kingdom of God, why did he create homosexuals in the first place? You mentioned in your very first argument that you think being gay is a choice. How hard could it be? Choose to be gay. Choose to be attracted to the same sex. You couldn"t do it, could you. Why would anyone choose to be gay, when they are despised by most, considered an abomination, subordinate, and stripped of human rights? God created us the way we are- we don"t get to choose our race, gender, sexuality, or our features. Hating people because of those things? That is a choice. Religious people who believe in God blindly follow the laws of the bible without questioning anything. Yes, I understand that they have faith in God and aren"t in their place to question Him, but as I mentioned before, there are many other sins in the bible that we ignore. They hate homosexuals because God told them to. God also told women to never speak in the church (Corinthians 14:35-35) in the new testament. The Bible is quite clear on that, too...
Briannj17

Pro

I stand by my belief that being LGBTTQ is a choice unless and only unless it is a mental problem. Because exactly, why would God add this if we didn't have the choice? We always have choices. Every day we have the choice to get up out of our beds or stay in them, the choice to quit our jobs or continue working, the choice between coffee or tea the choice to sex or Hockey on TV. (Well the last one could be simultaneous;-) The point is there's always a choice. I admit I was once curious as a boy of other boys I'm sure all of us were, but I knew what was right from the teachings of my mom and dad and God and strove to be a better person. I could have chosen to be gay that very instant. I could still choose to be now. As I said the Bible is very clear on this issue. You find it many times in the old testament and many times in the new testament. That verse on the women is also found a few times in the bible, some people believe the scribes who took the word from God may have been a little sexist and added them in, but until they find out it will continue to be that way. I personally believe the bible is talking about women ordination here, and I don't think women should be ordained and that is a totally different debate here. But the bible is clear. I don't want you going off on a tangent about other things when the issue at hand is "The Bible is against Homosexuality" Thank you.
FMJG

Con

FMJG forfeited this round.
Posted by FMJG 1 year ago
FMJG
Oh crap I just got back from church to find out that I'm out of time
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Pro, you made this too hard on yourself. Con conceded the resolution in his first sentence. Your second round argument should have simply been "My opponent concedes the Bible is against the Bible", and the quote him.
Posted by thigner 1 year ago
thigner
Choices everywhere, but not everything is choices
Posted by SamioTh 1 year ago
SamioTh
Round 1:
Con, you have mentioned about certain sins that were sins under the old covenant. That has now been fullfilled in Jesus, so those are not neccesary. A new covenant has been put in place, in knowledge that no-one could ever keep the commandments blamelessly, so Jesus died in order to save us from sin we will inevitably commit. This however does not mean that we can sin all we like, deliberately. We trust in the work which Jesux did, in order to save us from sin, and in his power, we endeavor to live a sinless life, even though it is not possible on this side of time.
Posted by Spartinman60 1 year ago
Spartinman60
I would say technically the bible is against homosexuality considering it calls it an abomination.

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:13 king James bible

but remember the bible says that all sin is equal in the eyes of God. so basically what that means is if you lie about taking a cookie from the jar its the same as a man sleeping with another man in the eyes of God.

(this is an unbiased response considering I am not a Christian but am not against Christianity.) hope this helps a little :D
Posted by Briannj17 1 year ago
Briannj17
Oh, thank you for your suggestion and I will make changes in my format of future debates.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
I don't even disagree with you :P

I just know the culture on here. It's a lot better if you do a more elaborate intro with definitions and an outline of the debate with goodwill statements thrown in there.
Posted by Briannj17 1 year ago
Briannj17
Am I missing something? As I have stated even if I lose (which I might due to the fact that it is now accepted in society) I wish to impress on the voters what the Bible has to say on the topic.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Yeah this is how you get eaten alive.
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
This guy wants to debate.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Briannj17FMJGTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff a round, so conduct to Pro.