Cipitio
1Devilsadvocate

The Bible is morally wrong.

Cipitio

Pro

Hello, I am new to Debate.org and I would like to debate in favor of the motion that the bible is morally wrong and that it shouldn't be, as some people say, "a guide on how to live". I will demonstrate that the bible is morally flawed, and anyone who follows it completely would not be deemed moral by the majority of the population. In this debate morality includes the principles of freedom, equality, fairness, the right to live and opposes killing and other issues that directly oppose this principles.

The first round is for acceptance, I hope we have a great debate.
1Devilsadvocate

Con

Thank you, & welcome to DDO.

In this debate, I will probably address the issue at hand, by discussing what morality is & isn't, rather than go through each example that my opponent provides individually. This will be done for a number of reasons such as; to avoid the trap/pitfall of gish galloping, it requires less characters, it's easier for people without a background in anthropology or multiculturalism to understand, analysis of what the bible really says in the original translation will not be appreciated by those without a background in those languages, and finally because I felt like it (likely for the above reasons).

First, definitions:

The term "morality" (from the Latin moralitas "manner, character, proper behavior") can be used either;
1) descriptively to refer to some codes of conduct put forward by a society or, some other group, such as a religion, or accepted by an individual for her own behavior.
2) normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons. (1)

I will, as of now, primarily be arguing from the Moral anti-realism POV (as opposed to Moral realism POV (with the exception of divine command theory & ideal observer theory)), and be using the following theories of metaethics: Moral nihilism (/error theory), moral relativism (/emotivism & ethical subjectivism), & finally, divine command theory / ideal observer theory.

Very basically/broadly, in very simple terms, this means:
1) Morality doesn't exist - Moral nihilism. (Unless dictated by a divine being - moral command theory.)
2) Even if it does, it is not empirical absolute universal truth, but rather subjective personal taste/opinion. Thus it cannot be said that a particular moral model is "wrong". - Moral relativism
3) If is real/absolute/universal/objective, we cannot/do not have a way of determining what is moral, and what is not, independent of a divine/ideal being. Thus we cannot know what is morally right or wrong. - ideal observer theory (/divine command theory).

(1) http://plato.stanford.edu...
Cipitio

Pro

I am sorry, but I must admit that I wasn't ready to debate morality in itself since I thought I had stated what morality includes in my first statement, however, I probably should have said it better. I wanted to debate whether or not the bible is immoral in a mutual and in a way, universal, agreed upon definition of morality. I apologize to con for not being specific and also I appreciate the interest in my debate of such a seasoned member. Cheers.
1Devilsadvocate

Con

1Devilsadvocate forfeited this round.
Cipitio

Pro

Cipitio forfeited this round.
1Devilsadvocate

Con

Sorry about that F.F., I'm used to 3 day rounds, but there wasn't much to say anyway.

The Bible has not been shown to be "morally wrong". & in fact, according to the aforementioned moral theories the bible cannot be called "morally wrong".
Posted by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
*honored
Posted by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
BTW, I'm truly honered that you called me "a seasoned member." ;)
Posted by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
Posted by Fanboy 4 years ago
Fanboy
ideal observer theory.. LOVE it :)