squonk
buildingapologetics

The Bible is never wrong.

buildingapologetics has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

squonk

Con

I would like to have a debate with someone who believes that the Bible is inerrant; i.e. incapable of being wrong. Here's the introduction to my argument:

The Bible was written by different people with differing perspectives over a very long period of time. Naturally, the Bible is full of differing (and even conflicting) messages about right/wrong, theology, history, etc. Serious study of the Bible reveals that it is riddled with contradictions and inaccuracies. Much of what the Bible teaches is just plain wrong: morally wrong, scientifically wrong, historically wrong, theologically wrong.

Do you disagree with me? Consider accepting this debate! Provide a short introduction to your argument in Round #1, summarizing your position or beliefs re: the Bible.

• No insults / ad hominems
    • Remember the subject of the debate (keep it relevant)
    • Post a comment if you're interested in debating me!
buildingapologetics

Pro

I would like to thank squonk for this most interesting debate.
It is difficult for me to prove that the Bible has no errors until such supposed errors. Also, to my opponent, the more supposed errors you bring up, the less I will be able to address each one. Therefore, the detail of my responses is partially in your hands. For my introduction, I hope to accomplish three things. First, I will explain exactly what I mean by scriptural infallibility. Secondly, I will explain why I personally believe in scriptural infallibility. Thirdly, I will provide several principles to guide us when we think there may be an error.

Scriptural Infallibility: This is the idea that scripture is perfect and without error. This is about the quality of scripture, not about the extent of scripture. This also does not mean this perfect infallible source has been unaltered, nor does it mean we can perfectly translate it. Our current copies are not infallible, nor are our translations. For example, the ending of Mark is a later addition, so it is not scripture, nor is it infallible.

I personally believe in scriptural infallibility because I believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead based on the evidence. While this is a point of contention and is beyond the scope of this debate, it is the foundation for my belief. Since Jesus rose from the dead, I choose to have the same view of scripture that He had. Since He obviously had an extremely high view of scripture, so should I. Also, since God is omniscient, it makes sense that His revelation is perfect. Scripture itself also claims to be inspired and of God, but I will not use scripture as evidence of its own infallibility.

Principles for possible errors:
1) Investigate the instance in the original language.
2) Examine the historical and contextual information.
3) Examine authorship, subject, and audience.
4) Understand that mystery accounts for some things as we do not have all knowledge, but it cannot account for instances of explicit contradiction.
5) Resolve instances of paradox. These seeming contradictions clear up when definitions are established.
6) Find out whether it is a metaphor or literal. We would be in serious error if we interpreted Jesus to claim to be a literal loaf of bread.
7) If you must assume something for a contradiction to appear, don't assume that.
8) Examine the science or history again to make sure you are correct.
9) Examine other scriptures that address the same subject.
10) Take textual variants into account.

Since my opponent is claiming the existence of errors in scripture, the burden of proof is on him. If it can be shown that there is an error in scripture, I will stop believing in scriptural infallibility. If you believe any of the above principles are illogical, I would be interested in understanding why.
squonk

Con

Hey! I'm sorry to say I have to cancel this debate for now. I would be happy to pick it up again at a later date...it's just that I go back to school tomorrow, and I need to focus on that.
Posted by canis 6 months ago
canis
Spiderman is never wrong about anything... Except Spiderman..
Posted by squonk 6 months ago
squonk
@ buildingapologetics

You're in!
Posted by chompybeat 6 months ago
chompybeat
It would be quite an enjoyable debate; but unfortunately, I must not match the 'rank criteria', whatever in the world that means.
Posted by buildingapologetics 6 months ago
buildingapologetics
I would be interested in debating this subject. Sounds like quite a challenge that I would like to accept.