brett.winstead
someone123456789

The Bible is not the word of God

brett.winstead

brett.winstead

Pro

This debate is not about the existence of a higher being or what religion is true. It is only a debate on whether or not the Bible is the word of God. I contend that it is not so I am pro for it "not being the word of God."

I would like to say that the Bible has so many problems in it and the God that is represented in it is so evil, you would really not want him as your next door neighbor, much less the object of your eternal affection but will focus on one issue.

1. The Old Testament (OT) God gave laws to mankind that were a code of morality but he himself broke them as in murdering scores of innocent people and punishing children for the sins of their fathers while saying he would not do that and commanding man not to do that. After showing proof of this and debating with other Christians who admitted it was true, the consensus of Christians that I have spoken with was that God did not have to keep them because he is God. He can do what he wants and nothing he could possibly do is wrong. The God of the Bible calls himself a perfect, righteous and holy God and claims to be without sin. This was the whole key to him supposedly becoming a man in Jesus in order to die for mankind's sins. However, the Christians argument that God can do "whatever he wants" like lying or killing as in several cases like:

Ezekiel 14:9
And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet.

Jeremiah 20:7
O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived.

or more seriously; God kills 70,000 innocent people because David ordered a census of the people (1 Chronicles 21)

For starters, the Bible states very specifically what a sin is:

"sin is transgression of the law" (1 John 3:4).

Now, keep that in mind while law is defined. The law of God is simply the rights and wrongs that God gave to the people. It is not just the 10 commandments but all the laws of right and wrong in the Bible, over 600 of them. Since it has been established that sin is the breaking of any of these laws, then lying and killing innocent people is definitely breaking a couple of those laws. All one has to do is read the OT and see that God killed numerous innocent people, children, babies and babies inside of mother's not yet born in addition to the lies and other sins. This makes God a sinner by his own definition of sin (if he inspired the Bible). How can a sinning God become a man to die for you when he was not without sin himself? I will not even touch on the sins Jesus committed for the sake of space.
To sum up:

1. Sin is breaking the law
2. God's law are the rules of right and wrong
3. Lying and killing innocent people are forbidden rules in God's law
4. God lied and killed innocent people beyond doubt
5. This makes God a sinner and unable to die for your sins and takes precedence over the idea that God can do what he wants because he is God.
6. Since 1-5 are true, the simplest conclusion is that the Bible is not the word of God.
someone123456789

Con

The bible is the word of god. If not who made light? Who made the universe? And if you don't think that, than explain to me how.

People may say that because they don't go to church or they hate god, which is not me.
brett.winstead

Pro

Seriously, that is your debate? I am guessing that you did not read a word of what I wrote.
someone123456789

Con

1. We did not want to have sins, Adam and Eve made us have it and then Jeus helped us get ride of it every Christmas.
2.God's rule is fair.
3.God does not kill.The devil does.
4.God does not lie. God kills people for a good reason.
5. God=good,Devil=bad , you=worst.
6. Since I answered my opponents question, the Bible is the words of god.
brett.winstead

Pro

Why did you bother to waste my time and respond to this debate? You have absolutely zero interest in the subject at hand and are simply spewing out what you believe with impeccably bad grammar. Let's just get this over with so I can start this debate again with someone else and hopefully, the next person will actually bring a real argument to the table.
brett.winstead

Pro

brett.winstead forfeited this round.
someone123456789

Con

So my opponent forfits this round. That's very bad habit.
brett.winstead

Pro

What an idiot. In four rounds, you have not even attempted to debate anything. You have wasted your time and mine. Goodbye.
someone123456789

Con

Watch your mouth your the one that forfited!
Posted by phantom 3 years ago
phantom
You forfeited a round. That's what I meant.
Posted by brett.winstead 3 years ago
brett.winstead
What do you mean the debate was forfeited? It went all 5 rounds.
Posted by phantom 3 years ago
phantom
Brett. It's because there was a forfeit that this had only two votes. Forfeited debates don't show up in the voting section. That's why you have to post them here https://www.debate.org... so people can see them.
Posted by phantom 3 years ago
phantom
Damn. Ended 4 days ago but RT and I somehow vote 1 second apart from each other.
Posted by brett.winstead 3 years ago
brett.winstead
The tied score of this debate as of the time of this comment is quite telling. One can tell when someone's mind was made up before the debate because this was not a debate at all. The opponent did not even attempt to debate me. I am now suspicious of all "voters" to these debates.
Posted by brett.winstead 3 years ago
brett.winstead
Yes, your debate skills were definitely "Pro."
Posted by someone123456789 3 years ago
someone123456789
That brett guy don't know how to make a correct debate. Im sopost to be Pro
Posted by CatherineR 3 years ago
CatherineR
I believe that all religious sacred texts are not the word of their highest authorities but the interpretation of them.
Posted by brett.winstead 3 years ago
brett.winstead
Guys, this is not about the existence of God. It is about the existence of the Biblical God, the one that is worshipped by Christians. gt4o2007, the existence of a higher being is not dependent on the Bible. If the Bible did not exist, does that prove there is no God? Of course not. You don't sound like a Christian but it is usually Christians who equate Bible belief with a belief in a God as if the two have to go together. There are millions of people all around the world who believe in some kind of God without believing in the Bible. The Bible is not the only book in human history that attempts to explain who God is. Lack of belief in the Bible has nothing to do with a lack of belief in a God. They are not one and the same.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Basically he doesn't want the debate to be over if God exists or not, rather he wishes to focus on a single aspect of a religion.
Vote Placed by GOP 3 years ago
GOP
brett.winsteadsomeone123456789Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro actually argued and used sources, but conduct points go to Con because Pro was not nice.
Vote Placed by phantom 3 years ago
phantom
brett.winsteadsomeone123456789Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Though con had bad conduct, pro forfeited so he has to get that point. Arguments however...well, it's pretty obvious. Con ignored all of pro's case and didn't look like he wanted any real kind of debate.
Vote Placed by Rational_Thinker9119 3 years ago
Rational_Thinker9119
brett.winsteadsomeone123456789Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had no relevant argument and wasted time accepting this debate. Pro's arguments were left without being addressed. Also, Pro used the Bible as a source.
Vote Placed by TheDarkMuffin 3 years ago
TheDarkMuffin
brett.winsteadsomeone123456789Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeits all points by failing to read the VERY FIRST SENTENCE of this debate.