infalliblemind
Sheldor

The Bible should not be used as proof in a God is real/fake debate.

infalliblemind

Pro

I do not think that the Bible should be used in an argument about the existence of a god.

The first round con will simply accept the challenge and then the debate will start in round two.

Thanks to con and good luck!
Sheldor

Con

I accept. I contend that the bible should be used in a god is real/fake debate.
infalliblemind

Pro

First I would like to thank you Sheldor, for accepting the challenge, I look forward to debating with you.

My argument will be based on the fact that, in the Bible, there is no solid testable ways to prove the existence of a Christian god. For example "God is real because the Bible says so". Using this logic, the same thing could go for someone trying to prove the existence of the Muslim god, or any other being for that matter. "Allah is real because the Koran says so" "Legolas is real because the Two Towers says so". So unless someone (sheldor) could find a testable theory or already known facts that point to the existence of God, then it is essentially useless.
Sheldor

Con

I wholeheartedly agree that the bible cannot be used to prove a god. Rather, I say that you can use the bible as testament against a god. We can exploit the bibles obvious fallacies, redundancies, and scientifically disproven sections to disprove the validity of the bible, and with it, the claims of a god's existance. For example, if the bible is the product of an omniscient, wise god, you can counter this statement with the fact that the bible is extremely flawed, promotes slavery, lust, genocide E.T.C., and pushes absurd notions forward about the history of mankind, from evolution to the creation of the universe. You can use the bible AGAINST someone arguing for a god. I agree that using the bible as someone promoting god is indeed begging the question.
infalliblemind

Pro

infalliblemind forfeited this round.
Sheldor

Con

Vote con.
infalliblemind

Pro

I'm very sorry I missed my round in this debate, I have been hospitalized because of a stomach virus. But excuses aside,
I never in a million years thought I would be stuck defending from creationist point of view. I completely overlooked the fact that you could use the Bible as an attempt to disprove the existence of a God. I'm afraid I have lost this debate.

Vote con.
Sheldor

Con

Vote con indeed!
Posted by UndocumentedIntellect 3 years ago
UndocumentedIntellect
I was thinking about accepting this debate. Out of curiosity, pro, do you mean proof beyond ALL doubt, or proof beyond a resonable doubt, as Ragnar said?
Posted by Sheldor 3 years ago
Sheldor
I assume you mean a Christian/Jewish God, as that is what the bible explicitly deals with....
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Change it to "evidence," or some variant other than actual proof and I'll take you on this.

Right now the contender is likely stuck in a Begging The Question fallacy. "The bible is proof that God is real, because God is mentioned in the bible." It's a fun piece of circular reasoning, but doesn't actually get anywhere.