ATHOS
nitrodude2000

The Bible was not divinely inspired. It was inspired and written by men.

ATHOS

ATHOS

Pro

I will argue that the Bible was not [1]divinely inspired. It was written and inspired by men. (Men meaning mankind) In this debate my opponent and I both share the burden of proof.
Rules:
1) Acceptance
2) Arguments
3) Arguments / rebuttals
4) Conclusion / final comments

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
nitrodude2000

Con

though it was not divinely inspired, it was written by the closest four disciples of Jesus, a divine figure. these disciples followed Jesus and wrote their books. these were written about the divine figure of Jesus and his life, therefore it is divine and holy and used for worship.
ATHOS

Pro

I would like to thank nitrodude2000 for accepting.

It appears Con has agreed with my premise:

'The Bible was not divinely inspired. It was inspired and written by men.'

He clearly states:

'though it was not divinely inspired, it was written by the closest four disciples of Jesus...'

Okay, fine by me. We both agree that the Bible was not divinely inspired, and was written by men.
Con, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you be arguing against my position?

Well, anyways no big deal. I'll just argue against your assertion that:

'...it was written by the closest four disciples of Jesus, a divine figure. these disciples followed Jesus and wrote their books. these were written about the divine figure of Jesus and his life, therefore it is divine and holy and used for worship.'

You say:

'it was written by the closest four disciples of Jesus' and 'these disciples followed Jesus and wrote their books.'

[1] It is a well known and researched historical fact that the men who wrote the gospels have never even met Jesus much less followed him.

You also stated:

'these were written about the divine figure of Jesus'

You assert that Jesus was [2]"divine" going by the definition I provided in R1 you're saying that Jesus had God like characteristics. There is no evidence outside of the Bible that "Jesus" even existed. (although I could be wrong) So for the sake of this debate lets just agree that he did, since you make a bigger claim with his (divine) God like aspects.

There is absolutely no [3]direct evidence that Jesus was of divine origins. The only thing that alludes to his divinity is the Bible, and the Bible can't be used to back up its own claims without it being circular.

Also....

'...therefore it is divine and holy and used for worship.'

I think I provided a pretty good argument against the divinity of Jesus and also the Bible.

[1] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://www.vexen.co.uk...

[2] http://www.thefreedictionary.com......
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
nitrodude2000

Con

nitrodude2000 forfeited this round.
ATHOS

Pro

Proof that the Bible was inspired and written by men can be found in the Bible itself. The content of the O.T clearly demonstrates that the people of the time (especially men) had more to gain from the laws, customs and rituals described in the O.T than an omnipotent god. The O.T was written in time and place where the people were of low moral standard. The laws, customs and rituals described in the O.T were morally fit for the primitive people of that time. Now, if those moral standards were indeed "inspired" by an omnipotent, timeless and changeless god, wouldn't these same standards still be applicable in this day and age? As humans evolved in a society our morals improved.

In these modern times:

Is it lawful to kill our neighbor if we see him working on the Sabbath?
-*Exodus 31:15

Is it lawful to own slaves?
-*Exodus 21:2-6 NLT

When a woman is raped does our legal system encourage the woman to marry her rapist?
-*Deuteronomy 22:28-29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Further indications that the Bible was written/inspired specifically by men.
From the first book of the Bible-- Genesis, women are blamed for the fall of man:

"And to the woman [God] said, ‘I will make most severe your pains in childbearing; in pain shall you bear children. Yet your urge shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you."
-*Genesis 3:16

The curse of Eve and on all women to suffer in childbirth and be subservient to men has been interpreted in various ways, and at times has been used to justify sexism, including discrimination against and abuse of women.

Women not allowed to speak in church:

'women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.'
-*1 Corinthians 14:34

Is it logical to believe that an infinitely powerful god (creator of the universe and billions of galaxies) would be concerned with women speaking in churches?

No.

nitrodude2000

Con

nitrodude2000 forfeited this round.
ATHOS

Pro

Con forfeited 3rd round............vote Pro.
nitrodude2000

Con

Though I have not posted on this in some time, i believe my argument still holds true. i neither deserve to win or expect to. i think that though the bible was not written by men, it is still divine.
Posted by ATHOS 5 years ago
ATHOS
@nitrodude2000, just a friendly reminder, before accepting any debate make sure you have the time to properly engage in them.
Posted by nitrodude2000 5 years ago
nitrodude2000
Listen. i did not concede rounds 2 through 4 willingly. i was camping and had no time nor acsess to the internet. for this i am sincerely sorry, but please refrain from criticizing me.
Posted by ATHOS 5 years ago
ATHOS
KeytarHero, how could my argument be strengthened?
Posted by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
Though I suppose he could be arguing devil's advocate (no pun intended), it didn't seem as though he is by his first round statement.
Posted by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
Why did Con even take this? Even though Pro's argument is incredibly weak, Con basically conceded the debate in the round he accepted it.
Posted by ATHOS 5 years ago
ATHOS
continued.........
http://cybercollege.com...
Posted by ATHOS 5 years ago
ATHOS
Proof that the Bible was inspired and written by men can be found in the Bible itself. The content of the O.T clearly demonstrates that the people of the time had more to benefit than an omnipotent god. The O.T was written in time and place where the people were of low moral standard. The laws, customs and rituals described in the O.T were fit for the primitive people of that time. Now, if those moral standards were indeed "inspired" by an omnipotent, timeless and changeless god, wouldn't these same standards be applied in this day and age? As humans evolved in a society our morals got better.

Is it lawful to own slaves?

From the first book of the Bible Genesis, women are blamed for the fall of man:

Genesis 3:16:

"And to the woman [God] said, ‘I will make most severe your pains in childbearing; in pain shall you bear children. Yet your urge shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.' "

Genesis 3:16:

And to the woman [God] said, ‘I will make most severe your pains in childbearing; in pain shall you bear children. Yet your urge shall be for your husband, and he shal
Vote Placed by thett3 5 years ago
thett3
ATHOSnitrodude2000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: this is a sentence this is also a sentence this is a sentence
Vote Placed by airmax1227 5 years ago
airmax1227
ATHOSnitrodude2000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for FF.
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
ATHOSnitrodude2000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FFFFF