DB1
straightup.gong

The Big Bang created the Universe

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

DB1

Con

The Big Bang didn't exist.
straightup.gong

Pro

I accept this debate.
DB1

Con

The Big Bang theory doesn't make sense. First off, how can nothing blow up. If nothing could blow up, the world would be on fire right now. Second, it is scientifically proved that you can't get something from nothing. If you could get something from nothing, then there wouldn't be any point in businesses and an economy. Finally, God's creation story makes a lot more sense than the Big Bang does.
straightup.gong

Pro

Your second statement should end in a question mark, since it's a question (rhetorical or not). Before I continue, let me explain what the Big Bang theory is. The Big Bang theory "is the prevailing cosmological model for the universe from the earliest known periods through its subsequent large-scale evolution." (http://www.bbc.co.uk...). The Big Bang is a theory as you stated. There is evidence to this theory but it has not been proven in full to be completely accurate. The same thing goes with God. Although there's more evidence proving the Big Bang than God.

It is being studied that for a short period after the Big Bang, the universe underwent an incredible burst of expansion called "inflation". At the time, the universe must have been filled with a form of energy of an unknown nature for this inflation to have occurred. 50 years ago, Robert W. Wilson and Arno A. Penzias heard the hiss of radio signals coming from all directions beyond the Milky Way. After researching this, they found that the hissing is cosmic microwave background radiation which is the residue of the energy and matter that created the universe billions of years ago. They found proof to confirm the Big Bang theory.

Avi Loeb is a professor of science at Harvard university as well as the Chair of the Department of Astronomy. He stated "I"ve been trying to understand the beginning of the process before the Milky Way and its stars were formed. It turns out that the first stars were more massive than the Sun and the first galaxies were smaller than the Milky Way." He says this is a compelling period because "it is the scientific version of the story of Genesis. I don"t want to offend religious people, but the first chapter of the Bible needs revising"the sequence of events needs to be modified. It is true that there was a beginning in time. As in the biblical story, "Let there be light." This light can be thought of as the cosmic microwave background." (http://www.smithsonianmag.com...)

Furthermore, "In order to contemplate the universe creating itself from nothing, you must first accept the proposition that something can be created from nothing . That is tenable only in the quantum realm, so applying it to the universe presumes a quantum scale for the universe." (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...)
DB1

Con

After reading your statement, I looked at your last link (describing the perfect vacuum), I would like to point something out. It says that this perfect vacuum needed to be in existence to create the universe. The Big Bang theory doesn't explain how this perfect vacuum started. Secondly, science can't explain miracles. If science can't explain miracles, then how do they occur. A supreme being must exist.
straightup.gong

Pro

I think the real question is, what created God? You say that something can't be made out of nothing. If that was true, how did God come to exist? While the theory of the Big Bang has not yet been fully proven, neither has the existence of God. There are things in this world that we couldn't even begin to discover, let alone comprehend. I found a religious argument using the evidence of the Big Bang (http://infidels.org...). I thought that might interest you to read.

With that said, I come to my conclusion. I believe that the Big Bang created the universe. There is evidence to that belief, although lacking some rather vital information. Thank you for educating me further. That is what debates are all about.
Posted by toocoolblue 1 month ago
toocoolblue
1.This is kind of a silly debate as the Big Bang doesn't even attempt to describe the creation of the Universe.
2. The only evidence that's ever been presented in favor of the Big Bang, the CMB, which straight mentioned, was discovered in 2004 to say the earth is the center of the universe.
Which kind of makes the CMB hard to take seriously.
3. As our technology grows, the Big Bang has had to be saved by a continual string of rewrites, becoming more and more absurd with each new version.
How anyone can take it seriously at this point is beyond me.

Oh..and before any wiseguy replies... NO, the BB does not correctly predict the abundance of light elements. It gets Lithium wrong.
Posted by distraff 1 month ago
distraff
>> The Big Bang theory doesn't make sense. First off, how can nothing blow up. If nothing could blow up, the world would be on fire right now. Second, it is scientifically proved that you can't get something from nothing. If you could get something from nothing, then there wouldn't be any point in businesses and an economy. Finally, God's creation story makes a lot more sense than the Big Bang does.

First off, the big bang is not an explosion, it is simply an expansion of space-time from a very small point. The big bang does not say everything came from nothing. It is simply that everything expanded from a very small point.

Some scientists believe that the original point that got "big banged" appeared out of nothing just like particles in quantum mechanics but this is just a hypothesis while the big bang is a scientific theory.

Also, how does making more sense make the creation story true? Creationism lacks evidence so there is no reason to believe it while the big bang has lots of evidence.

I am also curious how you know miracles happen.
Posted by canis 2 months ago
canis
So here some fundamentals...1. Something can be created from nothing. 2. There was never time for a god to be created..
(you can skip the first 20 min.)
https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by sboss18 2 months ago
sboss18
DB1, you really shouldn't start a debate on a topic you know very little about...you don't even understand the fundamentals of the Big Bang.
Posted by HGA 2 months ago
HGA
@ vi_spex Didn't even notice that. Good observation.

Best of luck to both sides in this debate.
Posted by vi_spex 2 months ago
vi_spex
creation needs a creator.. flawed headline statement