The Big One - Pro or Anti Choice for Abortion...

The first round is for acceptance, the second and third rounds are for bashing.
Swearing and stuff like that are allowed, you can attack my atheism all you want, but remember, words spent fudging my views could be spent throwing your own.

I believe that a woman should have the right to abort an embryo or foetus before it is born.

I am looking for a moral argument, so any religious beliefs chucked into the debate pile should remain unconsidered by the reader. Regardless of their religion.

No arguments in the first round, simply state your belief and wait...

I believe abortion is the killing of an innocent human life, and therefore should be banned.

Oh... A pro-lifer, lovely. That was pretty quick though, good for you.

Part 1 - Biological Argument

Tell me, what is the baby until around a month before it is born? It is a sack of bones and flesh, still connected to the mother and completely part of the woman's body, in the month leading up to the pregnancy, abortion may kill or severely harm the mother, so there is a practical reason for that being the point of no return.

Part 2 - The Philosophical Argument

What is life? Really, what is it but a tool of itself to prolong its own existence. The religious attitude to life shows that it is a mere plaything of god, a toy for the great entity to play with or destroy according to he/she/it's designs. A product of an experiment.

Part 3 - The Evolutionary Argument

It is undeniable that in the evolutionary context, the ending of one single life from a bloodline isn't going to result in the demise of that branch of the species, the woman can always have another child when she is ready.

Life begins at conception.[1]

The heart begins to beat at 21-days and brainwaves are detectable at 40-days gestation.[2]

So, my opponent asks what the fetus is until just prior to birth? Answer: A Human Being. A human being with just as much right to live as you or I.

Okay, so you didn't make your own argument, brilliant.

Big Picture Argument

Lets just place a scenario down now: imagine a woman in her 20s, unemployment has hit hard, and she is unable to get a job because she is busy caring for her child. One afternoon, she returns home to a wrecked house.
Upon climbing the stairs, she is attacked by an intruder, who remained in the house. Eventually the police arrive, and she is sent to the psychiatrist to be treated for the trauma, a couple of days later, she admits that the intruder raped her, and she is worried for her health, she heads to the hospital, soon finding out that she is pregnant.
If this woman allowed the child to be born, she would be left in a position where her entire life is in shreds, her family told her that they wouldn't be able to cope with another child.
She has barely enough money to sustain herself and a child. A future of suffering, or the possibility of another child when the time is right. From "death" comes new life.

"Okay, so you didn't make your own argument, brilliant."

I used sources to support my contention. That doesn't mean I am not making a contention.

My opponent, as usual with "pro-choicers" ends the debate with the case of rape. Does the fact that the mother is the victim of an atrcious crime make the child less human? Furthermore, abortions because of rape make up less than 1% off all abortions in the United States, according to the Allen Guttmacher Institute (the research arm of Planned Parenthood).

My opponent offered no counter to my argument for the humanity of the preborn, supported by expert testimony. So the only question the voter has left to ponder is the morality of killing a human being.
Posted by magi800 3 years ago
Posted by Weiler 3 years ago
Magi, we are not COMPLETE polar opposites. We agree about 11% of the time. 1 out of 10 ain't bad. lol.
Posted by magi800 3 years ago
also, good call
Posted by BEM1019 3 years ago
When an unplanned pregnancy is conceived it is a dilemma. All the arguments of should or should not have had sex are redundant. What are the choices? Terminate, keep the baby or give the baby up or hope for a miscarriage and the responsibility is then all up to nature. No matter the choice made it will be a life defining one and one that will encompass a lot of grief. Do mothers who terminate their pregnancy grieve. It is usually a silent one but yes they grieve and will have to confront their decisions latter in life at various points.
Being born a woman means being born with the burden of life. To raise a family is a burden it can be rewarding but a burden all the same. To give a baby up , I could not imagine the grief of that decision. While some adoptive families are successful many are not. The welfare and criminal systems are full of unwanted children.
Imagine being tied to your first boyfriend for ever! Did you really make the wisest choices in your mid teens? Every time? I certainly did not and I certainly would not want an eternal link to my first boyfriend who the thought of makes my skin crawl.
Men really do not have the final say on this.
But men should have a say with who they procreate with and be willing to support that family. Sex is primary biological need, people will have sex for the sake of enjoying sex. That is a reality for most normal people.
People will always access abortion through safe and unsafe methods, better to control the safe ones and promote sensible reproductive education, and make contraception accessible and available.
Damning from the outside serves no positive stance. It only serves for others to impose their beliefs and morals on others who do not want to engage.
If you do not support abortion don't have one. If you do, well you have a choice. and CHOICE is about sensible problem solving. Even when the choice is between a rock and a hard place.
Posted by magi800 3 years ago
Good call
Posted by KaleBevilacqua 3 years ago
We know that a fetus is a life, but the question is, does the life matter? Would you even bat an eye at someone who swats a fly or smashes a spider?

The life is minuscule, unconscious, and only getting in the way.
Posted by gr33k_fr33k5 3 years ago
those opening arguments are weak. . . wish i was faster to accept this one
Posted by magi800 3 years ago
Wow, I hit the mother load here; the polar opposite of myself. I didn't know people like this were real. Never mind, it will be fun nonetheless to combat faith and pseudo-morality with bitter logic and biological fact!
Posted by NateTheFirst 3 years ago
I'm pro abortion
Vote Placed by NiqashMotawadi3 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was impressive in the first rounds but then completely avoided Con's weak arguments on how life starts at conception and that one about brain waves, when both don't indicate that a human being is there or that it has consciousness to begin with. Hence, Con was actually slightly better at arguments because Pro ignored two major arguments he brought forth, even though this was a disappointing debate due to what seemed like a tight word-restriction and lack of good arguments and substantial content. Both debaters had terrible conduct. So I'm not going to give anyone the conduct point.