Dennybug
GrimPanda

The Boy Scouts gay policy should be revoked.

Dennybug

Dennybug

Pro

--------------------First round is for presenting your argument-----------------------------

-----------------Last round you must simply say Thank you for the debate---------------

I ask that ANY clarifications be made in the comments before accepting the debate.

I will be arguing that we should revoke the gay scouts policy allowing openly gay scouts to join BSA. Because it causes more harm than good.

Once again, First round is for PRESENTING YOUR ARGUMENT!
GrimPanda

Con

I want to thank Dennybug for holding this debate. I see absolutely no reason why openly gay scouts should not be able to join the BSA. The policy that was in place originally was causing more harm than this policy could. I hope you present some of the reasons you believe this policy is a problem.
Dennybug

Pro

Con has failed to comply to the first rule I presented: Arguments should be made in round 1. Not acceptance.

However due to this being his first debate, I ask that you would all not deduct points in conduct for this, and that round 5 will be open for him to make final rebutalls. But I ask that he would not add any new points in round 5.

Opening + Arguments

Before I begin and state my arguments, I'd like to say that I am not against Gay Boy Scouts, I am not against Homosexuality, I am simply against the The recent policy which enabled openly gay scouts to join boy scouts. I will ask Con to not misinterpret my arguments and think that I am arguing whether or not gay scouts should be able to join.

Boy Scouts is not about Sexuality

The BSA program enables young boys, and provides them with strong morals and turns them into confident reliable men. There are no merit badges for Homosexuality or Heterosexuality, And Heterosexual scouts do not openly need to advertise that they are straight. So why do Gay scouts need to have the right to say I AM GAY LET ME IN, when the program itself has zip to do with sexuality. With this new policy it is encouraging Homosexual scouts to advertise that they are gay, which in turn makes the leaders nervous. Not becuase they are Homosexual but because scouts is not sexual at all, and should not be marketed as Gay friendly when it doesnt relate to sexuality.

At its core Boy Scouts is Christian

Bsa is predominantly christian, It is not required to be christian and all religions are welcome in BSA however, people often associate boy scouts with christianity, and for unsurprising reasons. Most troops in the united states often go on Religious trips, and do Church related work. They teach the scouts about pre-marital sexual conduct. And essentially do not support Homosexuality. With boy scouts being predominantly christian I think that it's asking for trouble when Homosexual scouts need to advertise their sexuality, making something completely unrelated to sexuality, Gay friendly.

Troops are disbanding

Unfortunately due to this policy, there are many scout troops which have disbanded and also many which have added new regulations to their troop.

http://www.chron.com...

https://www.facebook.com...

Above I have lsited two links to sources which tell of scout troops who have disbanded in order to prove my statement.

First of all this is quite stubborn of the troops to do but I can see where they're coming from. However if this Open Gay Policy was done in a different way, and less subtle. Not just screaming that a certain sexuality is being opressed. I think that a lot of troops would have viewed it differently by now.

Also to extend on to this, the quality of troops are declining due to this. I will explain how my troop personally has been affected by this.
-No longer allowed to share tents.
-Buddy system requires 3 people
-Constant Suspection From scout leaders
-More talks about sexual morality

The above listed are all things which came into my troop personally and I'm sure many others as these regulations are worldwide. The policy has reduced the quality of boy scouts not because Gay scouts are allowed to join. But because it turned something completely unrelated to sexuality into something sexual.

Closing Statement

I'd like to thank con for accepting this debate and look farward to his arguments. I would like to remind everybody that I am for Gay Scouts being in BSA but I disagree that it should be turned into a huge deal. Promoting everybodies sexuality. It only causes more restrictions on the scouts who are just looking to go on adventures and have fun! Including GAY scouts and STRAIGHT scouts! we all want to be bros together however I dont think its right that gay scouts should have the right to openly advertise they sexually desire other guys. It just makes everyone uncomfortable and with it already being a touchy subject in Christian programs it becomes a big hastle for everyone involved.
GrimPanda

Con

This is my first debate so if I mess up I am sincerely sorry and will try to follow the rules better new time.

"Boy Scouts is not about Sexuality"

"So why do Gay scouts need to have the right to say I AM GAY LET ME IN"
I take issue with this because it implies that gay scouts will openly advertise that they are gay because of the policy. They will not be anymore open about it than they were before. The policy is needed because before no gay scouts could join unless they hid it from everyone. This lets them join without having to be in the closet. Leaders should not be anymore nervous then they used to be. Just because this is enacted does not mean that there will be a giant jump in gay scouts. If the BSA is not about sexuality at all they should not have any problems with gay scouts joining.

"At its core Boy Scouts is Christian"

Here you again return to the argument that gay scouts will advertise openly that they are gay just because of this policy. A lot of homosexuals are Christian and accept that according to their beliefs they are sinning. Should you make homosexual boys who want to be in the scouts hide it just because they are going against one rule in your religion? I am by no means saying that gay boy scouts should advertise they are gay but they should not have to hide it completely no matter what. Does the fact that you are openly straight mean you are advertising your sexuality? No it doesn't.

"Troops are disbanding"

It saddens me to here that troops are breaking up but should we throw out the entire policy just because a few troops are overreacting? No! We should teach the troops to learn to accept the new policy. If two gay kids were scouts and wanted to do things together in their tents they would already be doing it. Just because there is a new policy does not mean that people are going to start engaging in gay activities.

Dennybug

Pro

I thank Con for replying to this Debate, though I would like to advise you to Add arguments of your own. For why the policy should not be abolished. This offers a second opinion for me to consider and refute. It is what helps you win debates.

Counter Rebbutals

"Boy Scouts is not about Sexuality"

If the BSA is not about sexuality at all they should not have any problems with gay scouts joining.

This is exactly why boy scouts has a problem with it, It is homosexuals who originally fought for this policy, and people who are blindly support gay rights. And I have nothing against supporting gay rights, in many cases I do too.

However this was done in a completely inappropriate way, Again building the case that Gays are being oppressed by society and need to have a special pass.

Why do Gay Boy scouts need to be openly gay about their sexuality? Why is it important for gay scouts to be able to say I AM GAY! I WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW. bringing this into boy scouts only implies sexual activity and therefor makes everyone reluctant.

I believe a policy should be approved in which people of all sexual orientations should be allowed to join boy scouts, however made clear that Boy Scouts is highly against immoral sexual behavior. And that it is not encouraged to talk about your sexuality whether You're Heterosexual, Homosexual or Asexual it shouldn't matter. and It should not be made into a big deal.

"At its core Boy Scouts is Christian"

Con has stated that Homosexual Christians accept that they are sinning, however Still desire to be openly Homosexual? If this is the case it would be like someone Who constantly lies and believes that they are sinning according to their faith, however still desire to be open to everyone about their lying.

And before Con jumps on my back and is offended by me comparing Liars to Gays. Personally I do not believe 90% of things the bible says. Including that Homosexuality is a sin.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org...

As stated in the link above, the bible supports the idea of ALL SINS BEING THE SAME. which is why I make the comparison. I want to know Cons opinion about this. because his argument did not make sense to me

Do not think that I am conceding to Con because I support Homosexual scouts. I am opposed to the Policy which was put in place.

Troops are disbanding

If two gay kids were scouts and wanted to do things together in their tents they would already be doing it.

Just because there is a new policy does not mean that people are going to start engaging in gay activities.

This is exactly why Troops are disbanding, because they are run by scouts parents who are hard-headed christians who do not believe in pre-marital sexual conduct, and with this Openly Gay policy being added, it is encouraging Gay scouts to express their sexuality. And it is encouraging Scouts to join boy scouts.

A lot of people simply just dont want to deal with this, which forces a lot of regulations and rules to be put into place. Which can be a real hastle for A predominantly heterosexual scout troop.

So either they stick it out, and enforce these rules. Or they pack up camp and decide to go home. and unfortunately a lot of troops have chosen the latter. Which this policy is to blame for majorly.

Notes

Con has failed to add arguments of his own, which leads me to assume that he has no opinions about this issue himself and simply plans on refuting. I ask that he would add arguments of his own in the next round, giving me a chance to refute my opinion against his.

Second Contentions!

The openly gay policy encourages Sexual behavior

With this new Policy it is encouraging sexual behavior in a predominantly heterosexual orginization.
With scouts being allowed and encouraged to be open about their sexuality it is creating an enviroment for Gay scouts to have sexual conduct while in boy scouts. With the Christian Morals and Ethics this defeats the purpose of scouting. Because it isnt about meeting other gay scouts and possibly having relationships with them. It is purely based on young men growing up with a strong sense of whats morally right. To learn about responsibilites and caring for a family and other people. It does not discuss Homosexuality and is a program molded for Heterosexuals. There are MANY MANY MANY lessons which can be learned for all sexual orientations. Do not get me wrong and think that I am stating that Gay scouts would not learn nothing. This is not true. But scouting is Moulded for Heterosexual Boys and this can not be denied.
GrimPanda

Con

GrimPanda forfeited this round.
Dennybug

Pro

con has forfeit a round. I will wait to see if he will take the opportunity to catch up and explain the reason for which he has forfeited, and possibly continue the debate.

-Dennis
GrimPanda

Con

GrimPanda forfeited this round.
Dennybug

Pro

Con forfeit 2 rounds so far. vote pro.
GrimPanda

Con

GrimPanda forfeited this round.
Posted by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
Nah brah, that's just you and Nathan
Posted by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
Well maybe we did perform homosexual behavior in our tent that night.

*wink
Posted by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
And they suspect homosexual behavior.
Posted by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
And they suspect homosexual behavior.
Posted by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
lol Dennis. It's not like the policy is heavily enforced in our troop man! We still slept in the same tent in our last campout (no homo).
Posted by MrDelaney 2 years ago
MrDelaney
This is a great topic, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.
Posted by GrimPanda 2 years ago
GrimPanda
So you would be arguing that open gays should not be about to join the BSA?
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
Kc1999
Only if you were con. Only if.
Vote Placed by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
DennybugGrimPandaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both Pro and Con did not defend their sides adequately enough.
Vote Placed by MrDelaney 2 years ago
MrDelaney
DennybugGrimPandaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Honestly, I didn't feel either side did a good job of defending their position. But, points to Pro for Con's forfeit.