trotskyist1337
dwoob

The British Monarchy Should be abolished.

trotskyist1337

Pro

The Monarchy, whom has power over the UK has no democratic right to that position of power.
The monarch could have an IQ of 5 And still have a powerful position just because of the womb they cam out of.
The monarch Wastes public money on million pound crowns and golden thrones, when that PUBLIC money could be used for the NHS or similar services.
The monarchy, Drains our economy, holds unjustified and undemocratic power, and speaks very contradictory.
dwoob

Con

For over 1,200 years the British Monarchy has played a pivotal part in the development of England as a culture, and national power. Yes the monarchy does hold some position of power, all though it's not nearly as much as you might think they do, or they used too. "The monarch could have an IQ of 5", the last thing I would worry about is an English monarch being stupid. They would have access to top of the line education, and health care. In the case that a monarch is deemed unfit for rule, a regent would simply take their place. Last year, the upkeep of the royal family cost over 30 million tax payer dollars. That"s 56p for each person, considering the amount of charities the crown supports, and tourism they bring in, that"s pretty darn good if you ask me. The monarchy does not drain the economy at all, and puts the money to good use. In summary, the monarchy actually brings in ALOT of money for England, which like you suggested, can be put to good use.

Whether or not their power is unjustified is up to opinion. I have to ask you to elaborate on how they speak contradictory. The money from the crown estate actually goes to the government. The crown jewels aren't the private property of the Queen, and can't be sold by her. It's not like the monarchy spends money on crowns, and thrones anymore either.

This is my first debate. Thanks for the topic, and good luck!
trotskyist1337

Pro

On the monarchy developing culture. You have to ask though what cultural differences are the monarchy making and are they cultural differences that actually help us or they just superficial "trends".

No matter how good an education Someone gets it may make them MORE intelligent but not be considered intelligent.
Tourism, I would argue that it's not the monarch that brings in the money, as people who go to say Buckingham palace never actually see the monarch, but instead the monarchs possessions, Like the palace itself. Therefore not having a monarch can still bring in tourists as the palace would still be there albeit not owned by the monarch.

My main problem is, i don't see how can we consider ourselves a democratic country when a person in a high position of power has not been elected in any way. To emphasis my point on monarchs intelligence, the queen said in a speech a few weeks back that "Britain should live within it's means" which i found incredibly ironic, when she lives in a house big enough for 100 of her, and on a golden throne.

This is my fist debate too, so it should be interesting.
dwoob

Con

dwoob forfeited this round.
trotskyist1337

Pro

trotskyist1337 forfeited this round.
dwoob

Con

dwoob forfeited this round.
Posted by staylore 5 months ago
staylore
WHy abolish a tradition that has stood for so long? Has it harmed your image? I can only imagine the amount of money they bring in for tourism. I do not judge for who they but what they do. The queen does have a charity website you can visit bmsf.org.uk. The guardian newspaper has said she has brought 1.4 bn pounds from volunteering her time. I do not see the reason to resent the monarchs of England.