bascar16
Ritter94

The Butler the Movie. Did That Butler Change History?

bascar16

Pro

I just went to see this movie with my family and fell in love with it instantly. Forest Whitaker did an amazing job portraying a charachter in our history that could easily have changed history. Right after the movie ended I saw couples get in heated debates about if this simple man really did change america. I personally do believe that this man changed america just not as drastically as the film director portrayed in the movie.
But what I really want to know is what you think. Do you really think that being quite and just following orders is the best way to speak up against someones ideas that you secretly dislike or speaking up and openly taking action on someone elses opinion. In this case the Presidents??
Ritter94

Con

First of all, I would like to say that I am accepting this debate topic based on the fact that the movie contained many historical fallacies as well as the fact that I do not believe that this "simple man" as my opponent puts it.

First Contention:
"The Whole is greater than the sum of its parts" - Aristotle
I believe that to fully understand this movie, one must also understand the civil rights movement as a whole. You see, civil rights was a hot button topic during this time period, and rightly so. With a country that seemed to champion equality and freedom so much, how could an entire society be so marginalized than the rest. But we must also take into the other events that occurred during this era, such as the Freedom Rides, as well as other equally important events.

Second Contention(In response to the last question):
As a Chinese proverb once said, "Talk does not cook rice". I believe that if staying quiet had actually been the method that these civil rights leaders were using, than this problem would not have been resolved as quickly as it seemingly was. However, we also have to realize that because African-Americans chose to speak up for their rights, in which they were then summarily persecuted, that it caused a lot of public problems, so of course, what way would the government be willing to vote if it would be able to get rid of something akin to an ugly animal.
bascar16

Pro

bascar16 forfeited this round.
Ritter94

Con

In correction to my first paragraph of my argument, I meant to say that a "simple man" as my opponent put it has no real influence in the grander scheme of things, especially if he does not act upon his views.
bascar16

Pro

bascar16 forfeited this round.
Ritter94

Con

I think I'm done here, thanks for the conversation I suppose. Vote Con.
bascar16

Pro

bascar16 forfeited this round.
Ritter94

Con

extend arguments
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Please edit the resolution to America instead of History. Otherwise you may get trolled by someone pointing out that he was not a time traveler, and your other arguments are irrelevant.