SharpAA2
imnotacop

The CIA Was Right in Torturing Terrorists

imnotacop
Started: 12/9/2014 Category: News

SharpAA2

Pro

Please note this round is for acceptance only.
I wish to contend that the CIA was right in the usage of harsh interrogation methods.
If you do not know of this, here is a link: http://www.bbc.com...
I would prefer facts mentioned to be attributed to their source.
Good luck and have fun!
SharpAA2

Pro

We have established that the CIA did in fact use harsh interrogation methods.

These methods yielded credible information. [1] If this did in fact yield credible information, then why should they not use it? Using harsh methods may seem like overkill, but the rewards are far greater than the risks. Gaining solid intelligence could mean the lives of hundreds, maybe thousands of people saved from a terrorist attack. Do Americans really want another 9/11?

[1] https://www.cia.gov...
imnotacop

Con

I'd like to define "harsh interrogation methods" as it is. Torture. There is no if and or buts about it. Even in the report my opponent sources, it's defined as torture. This is not a debatable issue. It is concrete. This issue where our government acted unlawfully. To go in favor of this is literally agreeing with Hitler and the Nazi movement.
What I wonder is if my opponent even read what he sourced. [1]"The overall detention and interrogation program did not produce unique intelligence that led terrorist plots to be disrupted." According to the report cited by my opponent, torture did not stop any terrorist attack. Of course it is difficult to get information like that from some one who's innocent. [1]26 people where known to be innocent and tortured regardless. 6 people, tortured. were the CIA's own informant, and hundreds more were up in the air. With a law proposed at the dawn of this program, non of the prisoners saw trial.
[2]The torture methods included insects, diapers, and mock burials. The one that the CIA went to as non harmful, water-boarding, [1]"was physically severe, including convulsions and vomiting." Some prisoners were forced to stay awake for at least 180 hours either standing or in stress positions. [1]"At least four CIA detainees were subject to rectal rehydration or feeding without medical cause." This means, not only is my opponent in favor of torture, but also rape.

[1]https://www.cia.gov...

[2]http://thinkprogress.org...
SharpAA2

Pro

SharpAA2 forfeited this round.
SharpAA2

Pro

SharpAA2 forfeited this round.
Posted by frozen_eclipse 2 years ago
frozen_eclipse
I wan t to vote on
Posted by frozen_eclipse 2 years ago
frozen_eclipse
I wan t to vote on
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
SharpAA2imnotacopTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
SharpAA2imnotacopTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited multiple rounds which is rarely acceptable behavior in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar throughout. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to provide any rebuttals to Con's remaining arguments, due to Pro having the BOP as Pro, it was his burden to affirm the resolution and failed to do so. For this, Con wins arguments. Sources - Con. While both utilized the .gov cia site, Con utilized additional sources to further validate his claims, thus winning these points.