Zerglingleader
K.Ann

The Catholic Church has done more harm than good in this world.

Zerglingleader

Pro

After being one for a number of years, I have reached a conclusion that I believe is true about Catholicism.

The Catholic Church is a source of evil

This is my opinion, but it is what I've come to believe to be a valid one. It is not however the claim that I am making.
For this round, I offer definitions that should be accepted upon a debate challenge, followed by events brought about by the Catholic Church. My opponent my then respond any way they would like, whether it be to justify these actions or present a number of positive events tied to the Catholic Church. This will be mainly a factual debate, but appeals to emotion and the like will not be discredited.
Lets begin.

-Definitions
-Events
-Sources

DEFINITIONS.

The Catholic Church- Specifically the Vatican, the pope, and any of the Catholic Leadership and priesthood. This does not include the followers of Catholicism or by transit, their actions.

Harm- Actions that inflict direct or indirect suffering or misfortune.

Good- Actions that conversely Effect a positive outcome or prosperity.

World- The sentient inhabitants of Earth. (ie- the people)

EVENTS.

The Pope came out and said to the people of Africa That Condoms were not a countermeasure to AIDS and in fact, could make the problem worse. The Pope has condemned millions of people based on a belief that is proven to be scientifically false.

There has been an outbreak of Child Molestation from the Catholic Priesthood. The reasoning behind this is irrelevant. It's happening, and has been happening for a long time. It is not an unruly claim that the Catholic Priesthood is responsible for countless instances of Child Rape. That's what it should be called, because that is what it is. On top of this, Pope Benedict as well as John Paul II have in many cases Protected these rapists from prosecution. Some didn't even face charges, or lose their jobs.

Finally the crusades. No matter how one slices it, The Catholic church sent masses of soldiers to their deaths based on unsubstantiated beliefs, and sent them to an afterlife that, quite frankly we don't even know exists. The crusades, like many other events in our history, happened. They where a collection of battles full of pointless conflict and unnecessary bloodshed.

I will now give my Opponent time to respond.

My thanks in advance for an interesting debate.

SOURCES

http://www.guardian.co.uk...

K.Ann

Con

In a rebuttal to my opponents argument, I would first like to point out the flaw in his view point. Calling the Catholic Church as a whole a source of evil would be the equivalent of banning all cars because some of them are involved in accidents. It is not fair to punish something as a whole because some parts of it are skewed.

First, in response to AIDS in Africa:
If at all possible, I would ask my opponent to present evidence showing the deterrence of AIDS in Africa due to condom distribution. The Pope condemned no such people, but the people condemned themselves by their actions. It should be up to them to abstain from sexual activity.

Next, Child Molestation from the Catholic Priesthood:
It is blatantly evident that yes, some priests have molested children, but the implication that ALL priests have committed such a crime should be removed from the mind. Child molestation is horrible, but is not limited to the Catholic Church. The whole of the world would be considered a source of evil if molestation were to be the determining factor. It is not fair to single out the Catholic Church for a world wide crime.

Finally, the Crusades:
Though the Catholic Church did send masses of sliders out, it is not fair to say the beliefs were unsubstantial. The definition of belief is: confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof. So therefore their beliefs were real to them, and they honestly put faith in what they were doing. Some would say that any war is 'a collection of battles full of pointless conflict and unnecessary bloodshed', so we cannot condemn the Catholic Church themselves for such a thing.
Zerglingleader

Pro

Zerglingleader forfeited this round.
K.Ann

Con

K.Ann forfeited this round.
Zerglingleader

Pro

Zerglingleader forfeited this round.
K.Ann

Con

K.Ann forfeited this round.
Posted by Zerglingleader 6 years ago
Zerglingleader
aww damn. Time got away from me. I thought I had more of it. I'm very busy in school right now, so perhaps some other time. Sorry! I should have extended the time to three days instead of one.
Posted by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
If you don't limit it to the present tense, this debate is pretty unbalanced. Who is going to be able to go against indulgences, the Crusades, and episodes of false apocalypse predictions, where people gave all their possessions to the Church (like in the year 1000) thinking that the end of the world was coming.
Vote Placed by Zerglingleader 6 years ago
Zerglingleader
ZerglingleaderK.AnnTied
Vote Placed by TheLaw 6 years ago
TheLaw
ZerglingleaderK.AnnTied