The Christian God (as stated by the Bible) exists.

Con Tied Pro

Alas, it is time once again for another exciting and riveting cliche debate that everyone enjoys oh-so much.

My opponent is affirming the existence of the Christian god of the Bible. Seeing as he is making the affirmation, he also has the burden of proof, or the responsibility to show what he affirms is true. So, I'll leave that to my opponent.

Note: Don't find a way to turn this into a semantics debate, that's not the point. Please provide reasonable arguments, and PLEASE know what you are talking about before accepting this debate. Look forward to it. Thanks.

I will be using the Bible as a source, as well as a few unexplained things. I look forward to our debate.

1." Remember the former things long past, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done… " Isaiah 48:3, 5

This is stating that God is obviously the only God, and no one can come close to His power. This obviously shows he exists.

2. "And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them." 2 Kings 2:23-24

This is showing that he is unkind to those who mock Him, as He is almighty. Though these children are now in Satan's clutches. But who could have done that besides the Lord Himself?

3. Divine Healing

A spiritual bond with Him is one if the ways to happiness, and when one has happiness, he finds that much is better in life. He has a reason to live, a reason to be here. One finds themselves miraculously refreshed, and a newfound point in life. This "invisible" object, or idol, is real and with a bond with said person.

4. The Creation of the Universe

How did the universe come to be? Well, He made it. The Big Bang simply does not make sense. How could there be nothing between many things? It's simply too much to fathom. So, He, our Lord, made the Universe. You may state that how could He exist with nothing to exist in, but this is a paradox and beside the point. What this statement says is that this is further proof there is a higher being.

5. Humans in General

Humans need something to believe in. It's within our nature. However, how could this nature come to be? We could not start this ourselves. We were designed in a certain way, of course with differences. This accounts for the creation and nature of humans. We were designed in His image, His way.

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Let's jump right in.

1. This is the quote from a book. Not a text book, or educational book of any kind, but a book supposedly written over 1900 years ago. It should also be noted that the Bible also offers no scientific proof or any other proof, and only bluntly asserts that God is real. My opponent has provided no reason to believe that this book has any relevancy, and therefore it should be treated as irrelevant. Until my opponent shows that the Bible is a credible source, the information within holds no value in an educational debate.

2. Also from the Bible, same fallacy as was committed in point 1.

3. I'm not completely sure how this proves, or even strongly suggests anything. Let's break this down.

"A spiritual bond with Him is one if the ways to happiness"

The fact that some may be happy believing in God does not actually show his legitimacy in any way. Believing in the things that go bump in the night might make me all fuzzy on the inside, but it doesn't make that real either. This is not any sort of science or logic, seems to be nonsensical, and should be treated as such.

"One finds themselves miraculously refreshed"

I'm a little confused if this has a bit of a deeper meaning, or if I'm just reading into it. Are you saying that good things happen to people, and this must be God? Yes, it is true that good things can happen to people, but it doesn't make it God. If a child with cancer dies is that God? You would say no. If a child with cancer lives is that God? Yes, you would say. You can attribute all the good things you want to God, but that does not make him real. Also, notice that no impossible miracle has ever happened. In other words, something that could NOT happen without the existence of God. For instance, all of the amputees growing their limbs back. If God did that, it would be a great and merciful miracle. In fact, God has chances to make amazing miracles happen all the time. But do they ever happen? I think not.

4.Ah, the origin of the universe. You ask how the universe came to be. Let me ask, how did God come to be? It is logical that there must have been some uncaused cause (just ask if you don't agree with the logic, or ask me to explain the logic). But why does this uncaused cause have to be God? There is no reason to assume such a thing. Let's look at two possible ways that the universe could be here.

A) An infinite God created the universe, and does not interact with it in any noticeable way.

B) The universe is infinite.

Occam's Razor says not to unnecessarily multiple entities, or in other words, the simplest solution to a problem that works, is probably the right one. Using this, one can see that B is the obvious choice. The universe and the matter and energy within it has existed infinitely. The first law of thermodynamics simply backs this up, as it says that matter can neither be created nor destroyed. It's only logical that an infinite entity COULDN'T be destroyed. As for A, there is no reason to add that extra 'God' entity in there. It does not make any more sense, and does not explain any better the origin of the universe.

5. Your arguments sounds like this, and correct me if I'm wrong. You are saying that because humans want to believe in a God, this makes him real? First of all, no no no no no. This doesn't make any sort of logical sense. Humans want all sorts of things. Some humans want drugs. Do we have an obligation to do drugs? Some humans like to kill other humans. Does this justify murder? Some humans desire to kill themselves. Does that make suicide an ok thing to do, and are we going against our very core nature when we try to get them to back up from the ledge? No. This arguments holds no ground, and has no evidence or logic of any sort backing it up. I ask that my opponent rethink this argument.

In summary, my opponent has failed to show how a God exists, and has failed to create an argument that even remotely vouches for 'His' existence. I thank my opponent for accepting this debate once again, and I look forward to his/her response. Thank you.

DiggyDawg forfeited this round.

Well, ...round 3 maybe?

DiggyDawg forfeited this round.

-_____- Vote Con, or not at all.

DiggyDawg forfeited this round.
Posted by ChuckHenryII 6 years ago
Pro has started off with a terrible case and is sure to loose. It won't even be close.
Posted by Mr_Jack_Nixon 6 years ago
@obrya1jr - When I referred to the Bible in the resolution I didn't mean that you had to use the Bible to prove it. Just that it had to be that specific God. Since the challenge was already taken, I would love it if you challenged me to the same debate.
Posted by Grape 6 years ago
Christians significantly outnumber atheists on this site. Look at the demographics. However, among the more active users the difference is probably much smaller.
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
I was thinking the same thing (pretend to be a Christian quote some bible verses also say about how great and wonderful the world is and all the miracles but then I realized most ppl here are atheist and would prolly not vote very well for an argument like that.
Posted by obrya1jr 6 years ago
I will accept this debate on the grounds that I don't have to use the childish and outdated source called the Bible in the debate. I can prove God exists outside of the Bible. If Jack_Nixon is ok with it anyway.
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
I would have to disagree with you Brian. I have found that there are more non Christian voters and are they more likely to vote bomb the believer.

Unbelievers always discredit the Bible as a source which is the watershed of the doctrine. Other texts such as the dead sea scrolls or Josephus are usually offset as well. The scientific arguments always end up offsetting due to the very uncertainty of science.

Then it largely falls to faith which cannot be proven. To an unbeliever, faith is illogical. The reality of it implies that in the end, the believer will still be a believer, and the unbeliever will still be an unbeliever.
Posted by brian_eggleston 6 years ago
True, perhaps that was a bit harsh!
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Huh? There are some very intelligent Christians on this site, Brian. Don't lump them all together; they aren't all GodSands.
Posted by brian_eggleston 6 years ago
This is an easy win for a Christian.

All he needs to do to "prove" God's existence is to quote the Bible, then all the Christian members will blindly vote for him, no matter how badly his argument is constructed.

That's why Christian worshipers are referred to as "flocks" and why bishops carry shepherds' crooks – Christians behave like sheep and have no independent power of reasoning.

In fact, it's such an easy victory I might pretend to be a Christian and take it myself – I could do with a win!
Vote Placed by Grape 6 years ago