UnhookedSchnook
3rd_EyE

The Christian God is False

UnhookedSchnook

Pro

Preface

This debate is about god, obviously. We, as said later in this statement, are using the definitions provided by credible sources (more specific later). This debate will be dealing with Christianity. If you would like to discuss another belief PM me and we will look into having a debate.

Terms

All terms and definitions are influenced by or excerpted from the Oxford Dictionary.

Rules

1. No forfeits
2. Any citations or foot/endnotes must be individually provided in the text of the debate
3. No new arguments in the final round
4. Maintain a civil and decorous atmosphere
5. No trolling or deconstruction semantics
6. No "kritiks" of the topic (i.e. arguments that challenge an assumption in the resolution)
7. My opponent accepts all definitions and waives his/her right to add resolution definitions
8. For all undefined terms, individuals should use commonplace understandings that fit within the logical context of the resolution and this debate
9. The BOP is shared
10. The first round is for acceptance only
11. Violation of any of these rules or of any of the R1 set-up merits a loss

Structure

R1. Acceptance
R2. Pro's Case, Con's Case
R3. Pro rebuts Con's Case, Con rebuts Pro's Case
R4. Pro defends Pro's Case, Con defends Con's Case
R5. Pro rebuts Con's Case, Con rebuts Pro's Case, both SummarizePreface

Full Topic

God probably exists.

Terms

All terms and definitions are influenced by or excerpted from the American Heritage Dictionary, the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy, and the Oxford Dictionary.

God - the all-powerful creator and ruler of the universe
probably - 'is likely to happen or be true'
Exist - 'have objective reality or being'

Rules

1. No forfeits
3. No new arguments in the final round
9. The BOP is shared

Structure

R1. Acceptance
R2. Pro's Case, Con's Case
R5. Pro rebuts Con's Case, Con rebuts Pro's Case, both Summarize
3rd_EyE

Con

1. God provides the best explanation of the origin of the universe. Given the scientific evidence we have about our universe and its origins, and bolstered by arguments presented by philosophers for centuries, it is highly probable that the universe had an absolute beginning. Since the universe, like everything else, could not have merely popped into being without a cause, there must exist a transcendent reality beyond time and space that brought the universe into existence. This entity must therefore be enormously powerful. Only a transcendent, unembodied mind suitably fits that description.

2. God provides the best explanation for the fine-tuning of the universe. Contemporary physics has established that the universe is fine-tuned for the existence of intelligent, interactive life. That is to say, in order for intelligent, interactive life to exist, the fundamental constants and quantities of nature must fall into an incomprehensibly narrow life-permitting range. There are three competing explanations of this remarkable fine-tuning: physical necessity, chance, or design. The first two are highly implausible, given the independence of the fundamental constants and quantities from nature's laws and the desperate maneuvers needed to save the hypothesis of chance. That leaves design as the best explanation.

3. God provides the best explanation of objective moral values and duties. Even atheists recognize that some things, for example, the Holocaust, are objectively evil. But if atheism is true, what basis is there for the objectivity of the moral values we affirm? Evolution? Social conditioning? These factors may at best produce in us the subjective feeling that there are objective moral values and duties, but they do nothing to provide a basis for them. If human evolution had taken a different path, a very different set of moral feelings might have evolved. By contrast, God Himself serves as the paradigm of goodness, and His commandments constitute our moral duties. Thus, theism provides a better explanation of objective moral values and duties.

4. God provides the best explanation of the historical facts concerning Jesus" life, death, and resurrection. Historians have reached something of consensus that the historical Jesus thought that in himself God"s Kingdom had broken into human history, and he carried out a ministry of miracle-working and exorcisms as evidence of that fact. Moreover, most historical scholars agree that after his crucifixion Jesus" tomb was discovered empty by a group of female disciples, that various individuals and groups saw appearances of Jesus alive after his death, and that the original disciples suddenly and sincerely came to believe in Jesus" resurrection despite their every predisposition to the contrary. I can think of no better explanation of these facts than the one the original disciples gave: God raised Jesus from the dead.

5. God can be personally known and experienced. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. Down through history Christians have found through Jesus a personal acquaintance with God that has transformed their lives.

The good thing is that atheists tend to be very passionate people and want to believe in something. If they would only put aside the slogans for a moment and reexamine their worldview in light of the best philosophical, scientific, and historical evidence we have today, then they, too, would find Christmas worth celebrating!

http://www.foxnews.com...
Couldn't think of any reason why god is real so I had to use this
UnhookedSchnook

Pro

I contacted my opponent not long ago. I asked him whether he wants to continue the debate because I was meant to debate a Christian; they are an atheist, violated the structure and 100% plagiarised fox news for their arguments. I never got a response so I assume the debate is off.

Sorry for the inconveniences, check my profile for similar debate topics that I am currently participating in.

DISCLAIMER; this is not my opponents fault, from other people's feedback it appears that my title was misleading and confusing, i have since changed on other debates.

3rd_EyE

Con

3rd_EyE forfeited this round.
UnhookedSchnook

Pro

UnhookedSchnook forfeited this round.
3rd_EyE

Con

3rd_EyE forfeited this round.
UnhookedSchnook

Pro

UnhookedSchnook forfeited this round.
3rd_EyE

Con

3rd_EyE forfeited this round.
UnhookedSchnook

Pro

UnhookedSchnook forfeited this round.
3rd_EyE

Con

3rd_EyE forfeited this round.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
"1. God provides the best explanation of the origin of the universe."
So belief in some sort of god best explanation of the origin of the universe.
Belief does not give knowledge.
Science is the first and best path to knowledge.
Does productive science, ethics, or a satisfied life require any attachment to a belief of any kind?

"2. God provides the best explanation for the fine-tuning of the universe."
Again belief is not an explanation.
The truth is no one knows, science admits their ignorance on this point, the religious do not.

"3. God provides the best explanation of objective moral values and duties."
Christian are forced to use their own morals, because following gods commandments would make you a murderer. No where in the bible's over 600 commandments does your god say you can follow the commandments you like and neglect the rest, nor does it say you can reduce the punishment god has imposed for breaking them. but nowhere in those commandments, does it say "Don"t abuse children," or "Don"t enslave people," or "Don"t rape."

4. God provides the best explanation of the historical facts concerning Jesus" life, death, and resurrection.
Again you are using belief as an explanation.If these teachings were simple and clear, then there would not be 38,000 different denominations and branches of Christianity all saying different things.

5. God can be personally known and experienced.
Anyone can say that any god can be personally known and experienced, just not with your physical senses. You need belief, does rational thinking require the adherence to beliefs at all? Belief, even at its lowest form of influence can create problematic and unnecessary barriers. Beliefs and faiths represent a type of mental activity that produces an unnecessary and dangerous false sense of trust and wrongful information. Beliefs and faiths do not establish "truths" or facts.
Posted by UnhookedSchnook 1 year ago
UnhookedSchnook
Hahahaha, I am so sorry for all the confusion regards to the title. I will change the title for my next debate, as for this one I will leave it up to 3rd_EyE. I am against the belief in god so it is your call. Also, for the record, make sure you have a look at the structure of the debate pls. Once again sorry for the confusion.

3rd_Eye - pls say whether or not you would like to continue with the debate. Also, if you do want to continue pls look over the debate structure.

Thanks.
Posted by RookieApologist 1 year ago
RookieApologist
This is why a PRO should normally not argue a negation of something. It just makes it too confusing.
Posted by RookieApologist 1 year ago
RookieApologist
I'm so confused as to who is arguing what here.
Posted by 3rd_EyE 1 year ago
3rd_EyE
I think I might be on the wrong side of this debate man
Posted by SNP1 1 year ago
SNP1
Wait, are you arguing that the Christian god exists or does not exist?
The title is "The Christian God is false" and you are Pro, making me think the latter, but how your round 1 is structured makes it sound as if you are saying the former.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Sneaky resolution.