The Christian god exists and rules over the universe - read rules!

R3. my summary and refute, your summary and defenceMy opponent must be a Christian that believes in every word of the bible. They must construct one strong evidence-based argument that proves the existence of their god. If my opponent or I disagree with one another (which we most likely will) we must post a refute/defence. I will not post any points as to why being an atheist is best as we do not have the burden of proof. If my opponent agrees with me I win, if I agree with them they win, if we disagree the voters are suggested to look for any violations of my rules and/or see if his argument holds up to my refutes.

All terms and definitions are influenced by or excerpted from the Oxford Dictionary.

1. No forfeits
2. Any citations or foot/endnotes must be individually provided in the text of the debate
3. No new arguments in the final round
4. Maintain a civil and decorous atmosphere
5. No trolling or deconstruction semantics
6. No "kritiks" of the topic (i.e. arguments that challenge an assumption in the resolution)
7. My opponent accepts all definitions and waives his/her right to add resolution definitions
8. For all undefined terms, individuals should use commonplace understandings that fit within the logical context of the resolution and this debate
9. The BOP is shared
10. The first round is for acceptance only
11. Violation of any of these rules or of any of the R1 set-up merits a loss

R1. my rules, your argument
R2. my refute, your defence
R3. my summary and refute, your summary and defence

Well think about it. Let's go back to the very beginning. The big bang. a model for the beginning of the universe that I believe in. What caused the big bang? Was there just suddenly a "BANG!" and a universe that operates by a uniform set of laws appears, rich and diverse in content, ever expanding and born out of nothingness? I don't believe that. I think that there has to be something that started it all. And that to me can only be God.

Okay, back to more recent times. I have proof that God exists, that He is alive and around, but it's a personal that I can't simply describe to you. It would be like trying to explain the whole concept of love to a toddler. I'm not saying you're dumb, but rather that you're spiritually immature and would not fully understand when I tell you that I talk to Him, laugh with Him, sometimes even argue with Him.

I realise that you may not want to hear all about spirituality and personal connections with God. But the truth of the matter is that Christianity is all about our relationship with God, and so that's the most rock-solid proof we have in God's existence.

Of course, there are other arguments. How did life start? there had to be a point of time in which cells didn't exist. Our universe is governed by a specific set of mathematical laws that remain unchanging over billions of years. Why? Why isn't it completely chaotic, laws changing from second to second. Why do people die? Why don't people come back to life if we drain them of blood then put it back before their organs degrade?There has to be a soul, a spirit. And where does that go when one dies? I think you know my answer.

First off I would like to warn you don"t take anything I write the wrong way, I don"t mean to offend you, I have read what I wrote and it is easily perceived in the wrong tone.

You kick it off with a few words about the big bang and the laws that govern the universe. Just to get it right, you are saying that God created the big bang and the physical laws. Mind you this goes against the first sentence of my first round ("" a Christian that believes in every word of the bible"") unless of course you define/"interpret" "day" to mean something else. That aside there are more problems with this argument. The scientific community is not sure that there was "nothing" before the big bang, even if there was that does not mean that god did it, after all god (unless god is not real) isn"t nothing either, it too needs an origin. Also, what makes you so sure it is the Christian god? On this topic, one of my friends and I are currently working on a thesis that explains the origin of the universe, but unlike got, it contains scientific evidence. I will talk about physical laws later, as you mentioned them again at the bottom of your argument.
Now we get into your argument derived from personal proofs. "I talk to Him, laugh with Him, sometimes even argue with Him." I understand what you mean, I use to have an imaginary friend that I use to do all of these activities with, but that was as a young kid, given you are above this age it is bordering on insane. I think you can prove to yourself that you conversations are fake is to take a test containing questions on topics you have no knowledge of, ask god and get 100% or in reality ask "god" and get close to, if not, 0%. Either way personal proofs are not any sort of proof, people can claim anything and not provide real evidence. E.G. I spoke to a unicorn and it gave me a way to contact it when I would like to. To deem me spirituality immature is fair, if you do the experiment I propose and prove me wrong.

Now the responses to your "other arguments".

"How did life start?" and the universes laws
Here you seem to be part of the people that follow what I am about to propose, "the achievements attributed to god recede with discovery." The truthful answer is I don"t know, as we don"t yet have the answer, Abiogenesis could have some leads though. But you must remember:
Praying for rain -> weather forecast
Praying for better health -> modern medicine
Earthquakes -> seismology
The list can continue all the way down to everything that science can explain now, that was once attributed to god. Realistically, it is just a matter of time before those questions are answered.

"Why do people die?"
I think that is a better argument for me than it is for you, but I will respond anyway. That is answered by something called biology. I will keep this fairly simple.
Scenario 1 - Each living thing has the organs it has to stay alive, many organs are vital, if a vital organ is damaged and not repaired we die.
Scenario 2 " Some pathogens and diseases inhibit our normal function and kill us.
Scenario 3 " There are a lot of answers as to why we die of old age, here is a link

"Why don't people come back to life if we drain them of blood then put it back before their organs degrade?"
Cells need oxygen to stay alive and need something to get rid of the carbon dioxide waste, blood does this job. When you take out blood the cells start to die as they don"t get oxygen and they don"t get rid of carbon dioxide. I am sure there are more reasons than just that, but I am no biologist.

"There has to be a soul, a spirit. And where does that go when one dies?"
Why must there be a soul/spirit. That is nonsense.

Those last 3 argument have to be some of the weakest I have ever heard. Maybe here is something we can agree on, the achievements attributed to god recede with discovery.

Zantorion forfeited this round.

UnhookedSchnook forfeited this round.

Zantorion forfeited this round.
Posted by Zantorion 8 months ago
Just a FYI, I'm not fundamentalist or a creationist. I and plenty of Christians I know do actually believe in evolution and the big bang.
Posted by dsowders 8 months ago
Here is the problem. Most creationist religions are based upon Faith. Sure there are many incidences in nature which can be credited to a higher being, but is that proof? No. You can't prove faith to someone. I am kind of agnostic, but if there was one thing that was evidence of a god, it would be the golden mean. It's actually pretty cool, and I recommend checking it out.
Posted by UnhookedSchnook 8 months ago
Posted by Jedd 8 months ago
I think fundamentalist Christians are getting less and less lol.
Posted by UnhookedSchnook 8 months ago
You can forget most of the rules rules!