mcnaughton58
MacMiller

The Christian god is merciful

mcnaughton58

mcnaughton58

Con

I believe that the Christian God is unmerciful. I believe that the Christian God is unmerciful because of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

The god of the Christian Bible is unmerciful because he didn't spare the lives of the people living in Sodom and Gomorrah even though he knew they would repent Matthew 11:20-24.
MacMiller

Pro

First of all lets get this straight. "The Christian God"? Christianity isn't even stated in the bible. Christians believe in the Hebrew God and the only God. They believe in the only God. There is not Christian God.

You stated : The god of the Christian Bible is unmerciful because he didn't spare the lives of the people living in Sodom and Gomorrah even though he knew they would repent Matthew 11:20-24.

The biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah is recorded in Genesis chapters 18-19. Genesis chapter 18 records the Lord and two angels coming to speak with Abraham. The Lord informed Abraham that "the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous." Verses 22-33 record Abraham pleading with the Lord to have mercy on Sodom and Gomorrah because Abraham's nephew, Lot, and his family lived in Sodom. They were destroyed because of their great wickedness which manifested itself (partially at least) in homosexuality which is specifically mentioned in the Bible.
mcnaughton58

Con

I'm sorry for saying Christian God, I just didn't want to have a debate with people who have a Judaic understanding of script (No New Testament) or though I should have used another definition instead and thanks for kindly pointing out my error.

I agree that the biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah is recorded in Genesis chapters 18-19 and when I was stating Matthew 11:20-24, I was stating it because in those verses Jesus was discussing with his disciples to denounce the towns that didn't repent and he also stated that if he had performed miracles at Sodom and Gomorrah the towns would still be here to this day (because the people in those towns repented their sins). That is why I believe God to be unmerciful (or at least unjust) because he knew that they would repent yet he still destroyed the towns and the people (except Lot and his family).
MacMiller

Pro

Verse and chapter that talks about Jesus performing rituals? Soddom and Gorrath was destroyed because they signed and the story of the two angels who dressed up as men were going to be rape so they fled. This angered God. God is very merciful. He had mercy on David when he committed the unforgivable sin.

2 Samuel 24:14 And David said to Gad, I am in a great strait: let us fall now into the hand of the LORD; for his mercies are great: and let me not fall into the hand of man.

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

James 2:12-13

So speak and so act, as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty. For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment.

Psalm 86:5

For Thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in loving kindness to all who call upon thee.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Being cited in Matthew, makes it part of Christ's ministry, thus now considered a Christian story.
Posted by Valtin 3 years ago
Valtin
I think the answer to your problem is Jesus is not god!
Vote Placed by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
mcnaughton58MacMillerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not account for the fact that such cities also had numerous innocents, unborn children and young children who could not be counted as Sinners, thus demonstrating Con is correct. Had an Omniscient, Omnipotent and omni-benevolent God really existed, it would know every sinner by name (Omniscient) and removed them completely (Omnipotent) without hurting a single Innocent person and there would be no need for the Unmerciful act of turning Lot's wife to a pillar of salt. The story clearly demonstrates that Pro is correct. Being mentioned in Matthew also means it was New Testament cited, thus making it now a Christian story.
Vote Placed by Rhodesia79 3 years ago
Rhodesia79
mcnaughton58MacMillerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Felt that Pro proved that God was merciful.