TinyBudha
TheJuniorVarsityNovice

The Christianity is a unique religion

TinyBudha

Pro

I believe that the Bible and Christianity are a unique religion for these reasons. I will go through a number of reasons so keep in mind that some have a more substantial impact than others.

1. Unique and Consistent
The Bible is remarkably consistent, despite having been written by more than 40 people with over 60 different events over a period of nearly 2,000 years.

2. Archeological Evidence
Archeological discoveries have confirmed many events in the Bible. For example, excavation of Jericho have confirmed that the walls did in fact fall down. Unfractured folded rock layers which can only happen when sedimentary rock has been laid down rapidly then folded - which in all cases can only happen in a flood. So that confirms a flood.

3. Devine Insight and Predictive Prophecy
The spherical nature of the earth and the fact that the earth hangs in space are suggested in Scriptures such as Job 26:10 and Job 26:7 respectively. The book of Job is thought to have been written around 2000 BC—long before the nature of our planet was generally known. In Isaiah 40:22 we read about the spreading out (expansion) of the heavens (the universe). Yet secular scientists did not discover such expansion until the 1920s
And there are over 460 fullfilled prophecies about Jesus.

- Thats why. When something matches with logic and science, its true.

Obviously I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Dr. Jason Lisle Ph.D Astrophysics
Said "The truth of the Bible is obvious to anyone willing to fairly investigate it"

TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Con

1) This is soo absolutely laughable. Unique! LOL, Islam IS almost literally Christianity but with a twist! It was Jesus, instead of Mohammad. Jesus is literally considered a prophet of god in the Quran. I’m going to show you descriptions of other 'gods' to show you the 180 degree reality concerning this claim...

2) What? So because geologists found some crumbled red rocks around the supposed area of Jericho, this means that God was definitely the one who brought it down? Believing on god solely based on this would be like believing in Buddhism because Buddha’s face was found on a potato chip!

3) All of these "prophesies", are so vaguely worded you could Multifariously re-interpret them to suit whatever need you want, plus there is absolutely no context with them. On an offensive note, do you have any idea how many times the bible refers to the earth as a flat often rectangular shape?? The New Testament claims that the Devil showed Jesus the entire world from the top of a mountain, which would not be possible on a spherical Earth.

Matthew 4:8: "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world"

Isaiah 40:22: "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in."

Isaiah 11:12 "And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth."

Revelation 7:1 "And after these things I saw four angels standing on four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree."

"He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved. (From the NIV Bible, Psalm 104:5)"

There are waaay more, and the flat earth view has always been prominent. In any case the prophet Nostradamus has made more accurate predictions then the entire bible. All reading should firmly consider Ben's points mute as they are firmly unfounded, vague and/or untrue.

Now for the quotes on similarity between Jesus and other gods….

All of the following gods outdate Jesus and yet have striking similarities. Visit:

http://listverse.com...

#2 The God Attis of Phrygia

Attis was born on December 25 of the Virgin Nana. He was considered the savior who was slain for the salvation of mankind. His body as bread was eaten by his worshippers. He was both the Divine Son and the Father. On “Black Friday,” he was crucified on a tree, from which his holy blood ran down to redeem the earth. He descended into the underworld. After three days, Attis was resurrected.

#1 The God Horus

Born of a virgin, Isis. Only begotten son of the God Osiris. Birth heralded by the star Sirius, the morning star. Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (about DEC-21). In reality, he had no birth date; he was not a human. Death threat during infancy: Herut tried to have Horus murdered. Handling the threat: The God That tells Horus’ mother “Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child.” An angel tells Jesus’ father to: “Arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt.” Break in life history: No data between ages of 12 & 30. Age at baptism: 30. Subsequent fate of the baptiser: Beheaded. Walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, restored sight to the blind. Was crucifed, descended into Hell; resurrected after three days.

Seriously, visit that link, the number of blatant similarities is pretty damn astounding

TinyBudha

Pro

Because the JVN is so incorrect I have to go through his/her argument like this:

“1) This is soo absolutely laughable. Unique!! LOL, Islam IS almost literally christianity but with a twist! it was Jesus, instead of Mohammad. Jesus is literally considered a prophet of god in the Quran”

- Incorrect, you are mixing history with religion.
e.g. Everyone with a head knows that jericho in the Bible did infact fall down - it’s history, but just because an ancient tablet in Israel also says that aswell does NOT mean they are copying each other! as if a story book! Its because both sides recorded the history. This is child’s play why should I have to answer this for you. Infact this is the question I was answering in Paragraph 3 on previous answer.

2) “So because geologists found some crumbled red rocks around the supposed area of Jericho, this means that God was definitely the one who brought it down? Believing on god solely based on this would be like believing in Buddhism because Buddha’s face was found on a potato chip!”

- Incorrect, I said that archeologists have confirmed that they did in fact fall down. NOT that they fell down as it says in the bible.
And just like i said that archeological discovery is just one, as I wanted to vary my answers
But why ignore my other mentions? are they too substantial? I am going to do as you are doing to me.
ANSWER these:
Fossilized Jelly fish
I ask again: Unfractured, Folded rock layers
Fossilized bugs - while eating
Sea Creatures Fossilized in the Himalayas
Rapidly buried Plants
Fossilized Fish - While eating
Fossilized drowning animals

Each of these MUST be buried by more than 10 metres of sediment, as small animals crawl around in the mud looking for dead animals - eating everything

3) “All of these "prophesies", are So vaugely worded you could Multifariously re-interpret them to suit what ever need you want, plus there is absolutely no context with them. On an offensive note, Do you have any idea how many times the bible refers to the earth as a flat often rectangular shape?? the New Testament claims that the Devil showed Jesus the entire world from the top of a mountain, which would not be possible on a spherical Earth.”

- No there not. And yes there is.
Over 460 prophecies 500 years before it actually happened. These same writings were found in Israel and kept in a museum.

- Matthew 4:8: "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world"
Jesus went to the desert to be tempted. Just as the verse before was a test as is this one.

- Isaiah 40:22 which mentions the “circle of the earth.” This description is certainly fitting—particularly when the earth is viewed from space; the earth always appears as a circle since it is round.
- Another verse that indicates the spherical nature of our planet is Job 26:10. This verse teaches that God has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters at the boundary of light and darkness. This boundary between light and darkness (day and night) is called the “terminator” since the light stops or “terminates” there. Someone standing on the terminator would be experiencing either a sunrise or a sunset; they are going from day to night or from night to day. The terminator is always a circle, because the earth is round.
- For the earth, the terminator occurs not on a cratered rocky surface, but primarily on water (since the earth’s surface is 70 percent water).Job 26:10 suggests a “God’s eye” view of the earth. This biblical passage would be nonsense if the earth were flat, since there would be no true terminator; there is no line to “step over” that separates the day from night on a flat surface. Either it is day everywhere or night everywhere on a hypothetical “flat earth.” However, the earth does indeed have a boundary between light and darkness which is always a circle since the earth is round.
-This was John who said this and obviously he wouldn’t know the earth is spherical

- That has nothing to do with the argument of an spherical earth.

So, Why do you believe your religion/belief?
What made you so sure? and why isn’t Creationism right? they pose just as good or better arguments?

About the god similarity, so, you have searched the internet for some sort of proof...
Why should I even believe some random website that says there was someone similar to Jesus?
Oh, and they know its before Jesus because..... Oh thats right they carbon dated their stories!
It's not convincing.

TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Con

Dude, the bible absolutely doesn’t say that the earth is spherical. You and all the other Christians who say otherwise are subjectively interpreting the bible to fit science because it scares the your rational side that the bible is completely out of line with logic and reality. For that reason you accept these purely vague passages which could be interpreted multifariously.

Why are they vague? Because they never explicitly state the things you claim! Don’t believe me Then Why Didn’t Anyone In Ancient Rome Or Dark Age Europe Read Them And Come To The Same Conclusion?? Because they are NOT specifically worded, they are vague and subjective, I am a rational person who bases his beliefs in rationality, therefore I cannot and will not accept these scriptures as true; even if they were, Islam makes the same claims in the Quran so that doesn’t prove Christian god’s existence…..Lastly, Why in the hell would the bible be talking about the expansion of space? It’s irrelevant in a religious text. They sure as hell don’t talk about dinosaurs, evolution or even cavemen! Pretty out of place don’t you think??…
Last….Let me ask you this. Have you ever heard of history?? The #1 most similar god to Jesus ‘Horus’ was his name, was a freaking Greek god. Are you honestly telling me that you simply won’t believe that Greek gods existed before the bible? I wouldn’t put it past you but dear god, get some common sense.

Instead of actually talking about the similarities you simply said “I DON’T BELIEVE YOUUU! THOSE ARE ALL LIES, THOSE ARENT REAL GODS AND YOU CANT PROVE THEY EXISTED BEFORE JESUS!”…let’s use some common sense. No-one made these gods up just to spite Christianity….and no they didn’t carbon date something to find the origin of these gods, it has been well documented and kept in books for the past 2 millennia. Even if they did carbon date something that would be 100% perfect proof. Carbon dating is like finger printing a piece of glass or examining semen samples from a rape victim, there is almost no room for failure.
TinyBudha

Pro

As you are completely incorrect, Again, I am going to have to go through your comment like this:

“Dude, the bible absolutely doesn’t say that the earth is spherical. You and all the other Christians who say otherwise are subjectively interpreting the bible to fit science because it scares your rational side that the bible is completely out of line with logic and reality. For that reason you accept these purely vague passages which could be interpreted multifariously.”

- In this paragraph you say that all of those 100 lines of verses that say the earth is spherical are plain wrong. Then you go on to say that you somehow know that the Bible contradicts logic. But even worse than that you build on top of an assumption as to say how badly it was interpreted! Insults won’t win an argument.

“Why are they vague? Because they never explicitly state the things you claim! Don’t believe me Then Why Didn’t Anyone In Ancient Rome Or Dark Age Europe Read Them And Come To The Same Conclusion?? Because they are NOT specifically worded, they are vague and subjective, I am a rational person who bases his beliefs in rationality, therefore I cannot and will not accept these scriptures as true; even if they were, Islam makes the same claims in the Quran so that doesn’t prove Christian god’s existence…..Lastly, Why in the hell would the bible be talking about the expansion of space? It’s irrelevant in a religious text. They sure as hell don’t talk about dinosaurs, evolution or even cavemen! Pretty out of place don’t you think??…”

- No, Its not ‘vague’. “Circle” translated simply means “sphere” I have been answering all of your ‘questions’ yet you have been totally ignoring mine! are they too hard? I Will ask for the THIRD TIME:
ANSWER these:
Fossilized Jelly fish
Fossilized bugs - while eating
Rapidly buried Plants
Fossilized Fish - While eating
Fossilized drowning animals

I will not simply sit here correcting all of your statements. Throughout my arguments you take out what you think you may have an answer to, but leave the hard ones thinking you have won!? The only word that fits is plain ignorant. As Paul said “Anyone who say’s God does not exist is a fool” Now I have come to see that verse in action…

You are hanging on a thread called Horus, you say he is most similar to Jesus, well thank you that cleans up my work with you a bit!

I will go through Ancient Egypt writings explaining Horus and his so called “virgin mother”

The mother of Horus was believed to be the goddess Isis. Her husband, the god Osiris, was killed by his enemy Seth, the god of the desert, and later dismembered. Isis managed to retrieve all of Osiris’s body parts except for his phallus, which was thrown into the Nile and eaten by catfish. (I’m not making this up). Isis used her goddess powers to temporarily resurrect Osiris and fashion a golden phallus. She was then impregnated, and Horus was conceived. However this story may be classified, it is not a virgin birth.

Jesus being tempted vs Horus fighting Seth
Zeitgeist outlines the basis for this claim by explaining, “As does Satan with Jesus, Seth attempts to kill Horus. Set is the ‘god of the desert’ who battles Horus, while Jesus is tempted in the desert by Satan”
Doing battle with the “god of the desert” is not the same as being tempted while alone in the desert; and according to the Gospel accounts, Satan did not attempt to kill Jesus there ( Matt. 4, Mark 1:12-13, Luke 4:1-13).
The relationship between Horus and Seth in the ancient Egyptian religion was quite different than the relationship between Jesus and Satan. While Seth and Horus were often at odds with each other, it was believed that their reconciliation was what allowed the pharaohs to rule over a unified country. It was believed that the pharaoh was a “Horus reconciled to Seth, or a gentleman in whom the spirit of disorder had been integrated”. In stark contrast, there is never any reconciliation between Jesus and Satan in Scripture.

Appearantly Horus Healed the sick, the blind, cast out demons, and walked on water.
The Metternich Stella, a monument from the 4th century B.C., tells a story in which Horus is poisoned by Seth and brought back to life by the god Thoth at the request of his mother, Isis. The ancient Egyptians used the spell described on this monument to cure people. It was believed that the spirit of Horus would dwell within the sick, and they would be cured the same way he was. This spiritual indwelling is a far cry from the physical healing ministry of Christ.
In short, Horus did not travel the countryside laying his hands on sick people and restoring them to health.

Horus raised Asar from the dead. “Asar” translates to “Lazarus.”
The name Osirus is a Greek transliteration of the Egyptian name Asar. Osirus is the father of Horus, and, according to the myth, he was killed by Seth and briefly brought back to life by Isis in order to conceive Horus. It was not Horus who raised “Asar” from the dead. It was his mother.
The name Lazarus is ACTUALLY derived from the Hebrew word Eleazar meaning “God has helped.” This name was common among the Jews of Jesus’ time. In fact, two figures in the New Testament bear this name ( John 11, Luke16:19-31).
Oh, yeah, he also had twelve disciples.
Again, this claim finds its origin in the work of Gerald Massey (Ancient Egypt: The Light of the World, book 12), which points to a mural depicting “the twelve who reap the harvest.” But Horus does not appear in the mural.
In the various Horus myths, there are indications of the four “Sons of Horus,” or six semi-gods, who followed him, and at times there were various numbers of human followers, but they never add up to twelve. Only Massey arrives at this number, and he does so only by referencing the mural with no Horus on it.
So, Your Horus God resort is just plain wrong, I said it was wrong before but I didn’t want to explain, but you forced me to.
Now, for your Carbon Dating Beliefs..
A critical assumption used in carbon-14 dating has to do with this ratio. It is assumed that the ratio of 14C to 12C in the atmosphere has always been the same as it is today (1 to 1 trillion). If this assumption is true, then the AMS 14C dating method is valid up to about 80,000 years. Beyond this number, the instruments scientists use would not be able to detect enough remaining 14C to be useful in age estimates. This is a critical assumption in the dating process. If this assumption is not true, then the method will give incorrect dates. What could cause this ratio to change? If the production rate of 14C in the atmosphere is not equal to the removal rate (mostly through decay), this ratio will change. In other words, the amount of 14C being produced in the atmosphere must equal the amount being removed to be in a steady state (also called “equilibrium”). If this is not true, the ratio of 14C to 12C is not a constant, which would make knowing the starting amount of 14C in a specimen difficult or impossible to accurately determine.
So, lastly I ask (again) for you to explain: what do you believe?

TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Con

so when I show you that your god has appeared THOUSANDS of times before Christ you simply say there is no proof they were written Before Christ...Or in essence you discredit the ENTIRE GREEK AND ROMAN history and religion...how typical...you have shown 0 I repeat 0 concrete evidences of god existing. This is a waste of time. You predicate you belief and Pre-predicated on unfalsifiable ideologies and ideas with a mixture of vague proofs like vague interpretations of the biblical predictions...That's legitimately all you do in this match and that's the truth
TinyBudha

Pro

Horus was a bunch of rubbish, incorrect, and didn't match the Bible. You think Horus would convince me?! That has absolutely nothing convincing.
Through this you have realized how weak your belief is, as you haven't even been able to convince me (whom you think is insane) so instead of looking at me for the problem look at yourself and you will know why I am least convinced.

TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Con

I have clearly shown why you are wrong and maintain all arguments as 100% indisputable fact.

Posted by ThreePointOneFour 1 year ago
ThreePointOneFour
Pro said:

When were these writings found? Which museum are the prophecies kept ? Where in Israel were they found? Are you claiming these prophecies were made and put away for 500 years before the time of Jesus, i.e., 6th century BC?
Posted by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 year ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
unique means, it is similar to other religions, not is it completely identical because under that definition everything is unique which makes the definition meaningless.
Posted by evospireX 1 year ago
evospireX
This is a pretty straightforward debate. Techinically, every religion is unique, otherwise, why do people have different religions.
Posted by evospireX 1 year ago
evospireX
This is a pretty straightforward debate. Techinically, every religion is unique, otherwise, why do people have different religons.