Crimson_Lion
Cobalt

The Common Core should be Abolished

Cobalt

Crimson_Lion

Con

Before we begin the debate, let's set some rules/standards

Debate Period:
1st round: Simply greetings and acceptance (i.e. Opponent agrees to the debate and terms of the debate. Opponent may add on to the terms, and the Host (i.e. me) may accept them or reject them.).
2nd round: Main arguments only.
3rd-5th round: Arguments/Rebuttals/Counters/Additional Points.

Rules:
- No trolling.
- No insults
- A forfeit is an automatic loss.
-Cite sources. (You can chose not to cite sources, but only if you are applying with your own logic, i.e. You are using your logic to make a statement).

Privileges:
- You may declare sources as unreliable. (e.x. Magazines*, Wikipedia, Encyclopedia Brittanica, Urban Dictionary). You may however, use these unreliable sources as references, but not for a debate. Doing so will render arguments/ statements involved with these sources null and void.
- If you are applying logic, a majority must agree with that logic. Majority as in asking in the comments with the other people. I'n that case, use #'s on both sides when using logic in your statement (example: #If Suzie went to the mall, it's her birthday.#) This may not apply if both Debaters agree in the logic.
- *Only Four Magazines may be allowed as a exception, "Forbes, The Economist, TIME, and The Atlantic"
- Biased/one-sided news sources are not allowed (example, Fox News has a conservative bias and CNN has a liberal bias)
- Plagiarism from previous debates of the same topics will be treated as a forfeit. Be original.
Cobalt

Pro

This issue is one that is important to me and I'm glad I have the opportunity to debate it. Unfortunately for me, I accepted this without realizing that I was on the "Pro" side. Fortunately for everyone else, I consider myself versatile enough to debate both sides of most topics, this one included.

I accept the opponent's Rules, though I do have some concerns regarding the "privileges" that he has allowed. I'll elaborate.

1. Claiming that a source is "unreliable" is itself not grounds for the dismissal of the argument in question or the validity of the source. Most "sources" reference deeper studies or present logical terms, so the validity of a citation should be evaluated according to these standards. There are many things Wikipedia says that are correct, while there are many things Forbes magazine says that are not. If the opponent disagrees with this, then I'll forewarn him that I will immediately declare all of his citations as "unreliable", as this privilege gives me that right.

2. Logic is independent of the "beliefs of the majority". Ie, if I claimed that "Raw fish is gross because it smells bad," and the majority agreed -- that would not make my argument any more or less logical than if they did not. A logical argument is either "valid" or "invalid" and the content of our presentations and contentions of logical arguments should focus on that.

3. While I don't really agree with arbitrarly choosing only four magazines as "correct", I'm fine with this so long as the opponent respects the difference between "magazines" and "scientific journals".

4. Literally every entity that distributes information is in some ways biased. I reject the notion that CNN/Fox News/whatever is inadmissable simply on the basis that the network in question has a bias. If fox news claims that SpaceX recently landed a rocket on a floating buoy in the ocean, they are either correct or incorrect. Their bias does not determine their correctness. If the opponent disagrees with this, I could easily argue that his entire argument is inadmissable since it comes from a biased source. (Him, trying to win a debate.)

5. This is fine by me. If my argument happens to be the same as another person's somewhere, consider it a happy accident.

With all that out of the way, I genuinely look forward to the opponent's arguments. Good luck!
Crimson_Lion

Con

Hey, umm I kinda have this 1 week English project, and I have to focus on that instead. So imma go ahead and forfeit. I'm sorry that you didn't get to debate, but on the bright side, you won? (depends on your standards of winning)
Cobalt

Pro

I totally understand. Since we didn't even get to opening arguments, I recommend that the voters refrain from voting, such that this remains a tie.
Crimson_Lion

Con

Crimson_Lion forfeited this round.
Cobalt

Pro

See above.
Crimson_Lion

Con

Crimson_Lion forfeited this round.
Crimson_Lion

Con

Crimson_Lion forfeited this round.
Cobalt

Pro

Cobalt forfeited this round.
Posted by Crimson_Lion 1 year ago
Crimson_Lion
Umm, how do you forfeit?
Posted by missbailey8 1 year ago
missbailey8
How is it plagiarism if it's an argument you made?

Plagiarism - the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.

It's your own work, so you can't pass it off as someone else's.
Vote Placed by fire_wings 11 months ago
fire_wings
Crimson_LionCobaltTied
Reasons for voting decision: ffety ff
Vote Placed by ThinkBig 11 months ago
ThinkBig
Crimson_LionCobaltTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit.