Dkice4
SubtleArchon

The Confederate Flag, among many other Southern symbols, should be left alone and preserved.

Dkice4

Pro

The first round is acceptance.
Dkice4

Pro

I firmly believe in state's rights, therefore, it is solely up to the people of a certain national, regional, or state demographic to make decisions for their respectable nations. The South, being linguistically, culturally, and politically distinct from the rest of America, has this right. It is in my judgement, therefore, as a member of this demographic, to offer my views concerning the symbols of the former Confederacy, and why they should remain preserved and untouched.

Many people claim that flying the Confederate flag or leaving remnants of Southern symbology within Southern institutions is a form of modern white supremacy and hypocrisy. It is, in fact, the case that flying the American flag could also associated with a society filled with slavery, and racial hierarchy, if one decides to make the connection. The American flag flew over state sanctioned slavery beginning in 1789 to December of 1865, after the Civil War ended. If the American flag is an adamant symbol of egalitarianism, or, at least, should be, then why did the government only end this institution when it became an issue toward the end of the war? The American flag flew over slave states during the Civil War- border states. Therefore, any claim whatsoever that the Confederate flag is a symbol associated primary with white supremacy is utterly wrong when one cannot say the same concerning the American flag. Lest I forget about the connections many make with the flag concerning treason. Again, the American flag flew over colonial revolutionists fighting against Great Britain- legally treasonous. It is, therefore, only proper and fitting to support this symbol from the point of view from that of a Southerner. Just like Scotland is a distinct nation once fighting for independence, so to is the Southern United States. This symbol, like many others, is ingrained into the cultural identity of a people who choose to keep it. I say, let them, let us, keep it. To lose it would be to lose an identity, and repudiate a living inheritance.
SubtleArchon

Con

I acknowledge your views however I believe the flag stands for oppression and ignorance , an ignorance of the fundamental rights of all human beings to freedom , the government that used this flag as it's banner was a government that caused untold suffering because of greed, keeping this flag around sends out one clear message: that we as a society dress up these deplorable relics of an unjust government in a guise and try to call it heritage and say we should be proud of it but where is the pride in forcibly taking away another's rights? or of treating someone like an animal to be bought and sold at a whim ,no this flag belongs in a museum as a warning of the fate of those who would oppress their fellow man , that any government built on forced servitude will not stand but will fall and be consigned to the pages of history while a more just government takes its place

As for slavery in the rest of the states may I point out that the union did not try and protect slavery as the confederacy did in it's own variation of the constitution and keeping the whole north/south divide alive isn't really contributing very well to a place that's supposed to be called the United States
Dkice4

Pro

I find a deep misunderstanding in your arguments here. First, your claim that "the flag stands for oppression and ignorance...of the fundamental rights of all human beings to freedom..." is inversely the actual case of the intentions of the Confederate government. For instance, the fact that the government was a confederacy proclaims itself to support the fundamental rights of citizens: life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, of which you may be familiar. The primary problem with your reasoning is that slavery was already an established fact during the outbreak of the Civil War and the Federal government sought no purging of it. It it was, therefore, already in practice in both the North and the South. If this was the case then why did the South secede? The simple answer is, taxation. It is unfortunate, however, that slavery existed during this time in both the North and the South. Sadly, the South receives the blame, because the South was making money for the Federal government and wanted to secede-thus why the North could not loose a large financial geographic area. Public school indoctrination will not teach you that. Indeed, taxation had been an issue for the South over 30 years earlier! Northern manufacturers and bankers elected a suitable candidate to garner money from the South. Lincoln then passed the highest tariff, to that point, in American history. Consequently, South Carolina became the first to secede.

The most striking part of your argument is the fact that you made no comment concerning the hypocritical notion of not associating the American flag with slavery. Yes, the borders states will have continued slavery if it had not been for the passing of the 13th amendment. Therefore, to conclude my arguments, I will offer my opponent my few last words concerning the meaning of this symbol, and many other southern symbols. The flag, put simply, is the patrimony of the Southern people, who clearly are a distinct demographic within this nation. If that were not so, then the stereotypes of the day would end. However, the hypocrisy here will never end. Those who wish to get rid of this cultural symbol will not end with the flag, but will continue forever, until even Stone Mountain is blasted to bits.

I thank my opponent for their arguments, and reiterate that the Lost Cause of the Confederacy (and its symbols) is not historical revisionism, but a modern problem. (If that were not the case, then the 2012 election would have looked a lot different). Good luck!
SubtleArchon

Con

SubtleArchon forfeited this round.
Posted by Lulzy 1 year ago
Lulzy
Agree.