KingEnder101
kasmic

The Confederate flag is racist

kasmic

KingEnder101

Con

There will be 4 rounds. These are my terms
1st round: Acceptance
2nd round: opening arguments
3rd round: counter arguments
4th round: conclusive arguements
Good luck and may the best debater win
KingEnder101

Con

The Confederate flag is not racist for several reasons. One, the Confederate flag is a historical document and therefore, is a part of American history. Second, the country that made it, The Confederacy of the United States, despite what people say, was not made just because they wanted to keep slavery. There were several other reasons I'm not going to go in depth about. Third, slavery itself isn't racist. There have been several cases of whites enslaving whites, blacks enslaving blacks( In medieval Gambia), etc. So slavery is not racist. It's not like every slave ever was an African American. Fourth, the fact that reason people only care about it now is the fact everyone is super dramatic. You can't say squat without being called racist. These are my reasons for the confederate flag isn't racist.
kasmic

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate. In keeping with the format I will present my opening argument.

Resolved: The Confederate Flag is Racist

A:Historical Backround and the Civil War

“The secession of the Southern states (in chronological order, South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina) in 1860–61 and the ensuing outbreak of armed hostilities were the culmination of decades of growing sectional friction over slavery.”(1)

The south seceded from the North for a number of reasons. Slavery was perhaps the biggest reason. The South became “Confederate States of America.” Jefferson Davis was elected as the President of the Confederacy. His Vice President was Alexander Stephens. “in 1861, Stephens explained to a cheering audience that the Confederacy was founded to expressly reject the proposition that men of all races were equal. Instead, Stephens stated, "The foundations of our new government are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition."(2)

B: The purpose of a flag

“Flags are an extremely easy way to identify a country or area immediately, language is not a barrier. The colors and emblems chosen by each country for its flag are deeply symbolic.” (3)

The Confederate Flag was used as a way to identify the confederacy and therefore the principles of the confederacy.

Conclusion:

The Confederacy choose their flag to represent their identity and principles. The Confederacy was founded upon the principle that “the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition.” This is obviously and indisputably a racist principle. The Confederate Flag is a symbol of Racism.

(1) http://www.britannica.com...

(2) http://www.cnn.com...

(3) http://www.signology.org...

KingEnder101

Con

KingEnder101 forfeited this round.
kasmic

Pro

My opponent arguments are as follows

1. "the Confederate flag is a historical document and therefore, is a part of American history."

It is historical. That does not impact if it is or is not racist. Thus this point is irrelevant to the topic at hand. In any case as I have shown the flag is a historically racist symbol.

2. "the country that made it, The Confederacy of the United States, despite what people say, was not made just because they wanted to keep slavery."

While Slavery was not the only reason it was a primary reason. In fact the Vice President of the Confederacy cited the cornerstone of their principles being "the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man."

3. "slavery itself isn't racist."

Whether all slavery is or is not, American slavery certainly was as is evident by the historical context I provided.

4. "the fact that reason people only care about it now is the fact everyone is super dramatic."

People have cared about this for a long time, though recent events have certainly made this a more pressing issue. Like the first point, this does not impact whether or not the flag is racist and is thus irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Summary:

My opponent says that the above points are their "reasons for the confederate flag" not being racist. As I have demonstrated, these arguments are either incorrect or not topically relevant. My case has clearly shown the flag to be a symbol of racism.
KingEnder101

Con

Sorry people. I never should have done this debate. My knowledge on the topic is limited and the only reason I made the debate is because of my anger at recent events. I'm sorry for wasting your time. Despite the lack of change in my opinion, I give my congratulations for a great argument to karmic. I'm sorry and have learned from my mistake. Thank you
kasmic

Pro

My case stands at the end of the debate. The Confederate Flag is a racist symbol.

Thanks for the debate and welcome to DDO.
Posted by liltankjj 1 year ago
liltankjj
I'll debate this subject I can do either side; additionally, I have not had a chance to debate since joining Debate.org.
Posted by Lookingatissues 1 year ago
Lookingatissues
Lookinattheissues response to ...Is the confederate flag racist.... on Debate.org... July3Rd.2015
Can anyone claim with authority that, "The Confederate flag is racist," when to do so would require of them the ability to fathom and have personal knowledge of the emotions of each and every citizen from the south during that period of slavery.No one living in the era of slavery could have known the motivations of other people of the south who lived under the confederate flag any more than people living today can declare with certainty what motivations , either agreeing with what the American Flag stands for or not.
Does every American living under the American flag affirm and agree with the policies of the present American government, if the answer is, NO, then how can anyone assume that all of the people of the south favored slavery just because the citizens of the south took pride in the confederate flag.
Posted by kasmic 1 year ago
kasmic
No worries :) thanks for instigating the debate.
Posted by KingEnder101 1 year ago
KingEnder101
I'm sorry karmic, but I have no choice. I'm not an adequate challenge since my knowledge on the issue is very small. I do give my best wishes to you and hope you find a worthy challenge
Posted by kasmic 1 year ago
kasmic
KingEnder101, please don't forfeit. I have been waiting to debate this with someone for a long time. I even had my own challenge that expired.... http://www.debate.org...
Posted by liltankjj 1 year ago
liltankjj
am I correct in assuming we are talking about the Virginia Battle flag right?
Posted by ScreaminFishyz 1 year ago
ScreaminFishyz
"The Confederate Flag is racist". Are you implying that the flag itself is racist or the people that support it are racist?
Posted by 2Sense 1 year ago
2Sense
@ParadoxInitative

The Confederate Flag is a direct reference to time period in which a specific type of slavery was occurring: African American slavery. Regardless of who has enslaved who in the past, there is no way to exclude racism from the human enslavement that existed during this pitiful portion of American history.
Posted by TheParadoxInitative 1 year ago
TheParadoxInitative
Just because I have to, slavery is not necessarily racist. There are plenty of cases of whites enslaving whites, blacks enslaving blacks (Africa, also selling other blacks to whites), and arabs enslaving arabs (Pyramids, also the Israelis in Egypt in biblical times).
Slavery does not necessarily have to mean racism. It means exploitation. As the Confederate States were founded PARTIALLY to uphold and continue that exploitation, the confederate flag could stand for that, but I don't believe exploitation boils down to racism, especially not if you're talking about every case.
Posted by Epicular 1 year ago
Epicular
The confederate flag symbolizes the Confederate States of America, which were created solely because they believed in enslaving blacks. Slavery is obviously racist.
Vote Placed by Martley 1 year ago
Martley
KingEnder101kasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: I award all points to Pro. Con forfeited. I think there is an argument to made for Con's position. Con lacked the ability to make it.
Vote Placed by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
KingEnder101kasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con, concedes at the end