ConfederateDude
9spaceking

The Confederate flag should be banned.

9spaceking

ConfederateDude

Con

I am new to debate.org and this is my first debate. I will make my main argument in the next round. I will argue that the Confederate flag should not be banned and that it may be flown just like the U.S. flag.
9spaceking

Pro

http://www.infoplease.com...
It is shown here the flag is a "shameful reminder of slavery and segregation", and "more than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one of their symbols."
Oh my! That's terrible! I think it should be banned!
You might argue that we have freedom of expression, but bad things are often looked down upon. America is the "Land of the Free", the opposite of what the flag represents. We don't want people to express that they don't want America to be "the land of the free", yes? Then the flag must be banned.
I also disagree with "flown just like the U.S. flag"....seriously, the U.S. flag resembles the 50 states as 50 stars and 13 colonies as 13 stripes, showing us the unity and relationship, the complete opposite of the Confederate flag.

What do you have to say for yourself?
Good luck!
ConfederateDude

Con

I will not deny the fact that slavery and segregation existed. I may be a Confederate, but I am not racist. Many people believe that the South seceded primarily over slavery. However, that is incorrect. The Confederacy was formed upon the principle of state sovereignty and the southern states wanted to maintain their rights. Slavery was just a factor. It was not the cause of the Civil War. The real issue was states' rights. Honestly, I believe that secession should be legal and that the flag should be flown. The flag should not primarily represent slavery and racism; it should represent a people who yearned to be free.
9spaceking

Pro

you have yet to counter my argument, only to have added to my initial argument--a factor of states' rights. Why would we want a reminder that we had a civil war between the north and the south over slavery rights? And how does it represent people who yearned to be free? It was not used by those kinds of people. Sure, it was used by "racist-hate" people, as said in my first round, but do they yearn to be free? Not really, they just hate people who don't put black people and white people on the same scale. Even if the flag symbolizes equality, it still does not strongly show the unity of the 50 states and the 13 colonies as the U.S. flag. Therefore the Confederate flag cannot be flown just like the U.S. flag. You have made a big mistake by comparing this flag to the U.S. flag.
ConfederateDude

Con

Again, slavery was just a factor. The big issue was states' rights. In the end, it is good that the Union won (I oppose slavery and I am not racist), but the Confederacy had a good case. Their economy and way of life depended on agriculture, unlike the Union's. A half-agriculture, half-industry country can work, but it would be difficult to get the two sides to compromise and work together. Therefore, it is reasonable to secede and forge a new nation. The war was not over slavery; it was over state's rights, tariffs, and political affiliations. Slavery, again and again I say, was just a factor. Back then, the Confederate flag represented a free people and a lifestyle of agriculture. Today, it would simply represent the southern heritage and culture. I do not see an issue with flying the Confederate flag. I see your points, but I don't necessarily agree with them.
9spaceking

Pro

"Today, it would simply represent the southern heritage and culture." Yes, the Civil war was about not only slavery, but the southern way of life-- which involved slavery. It was about southern economy, which was build off the back of free slave labor. This shows a willingness to abolish the Constitution. There would be no point going with merely one amendment concerning the freedom of expression if the whole Constitution was abandoned in this expression. You don't see the issue? Okay, let me state it outright for everyone to see: It is a reminder of a horrible time in America's past. The use of it is torturous, and the people who fly it only cause sorrow or pain. It's a symbol of hatred.
All in all the Confederate flag should be banned because it reminds us of the terrible past, including slavery and racism. We do not need a reminder of that.
Good first debate! If you keep this up you'll become imabench! (debate-power wise, not troll-wise)
Posted by theunionforever61 2 years ago
theunionforever61
History shows that the South was against states rights whenever those rights interfered with slavery. in SC's declaration of the causes of Secession (which lists slavery as the main cause of secession btw) they specifically cited some northern states that gave the right to vote to blacks (thus exercising their states' rights) as one of the reasons they felt the north was intent on subjugating the south and taking away its slaves. They went further and said that the north was oppressing the south because abolitionist societies were allowed to operate in the north and say whatever they liked about slavery. The South also banned anti-slavery books in the south. So no, the south really did not care at all about states rights or any rights for that matter. They cared mostly for protecting slavery.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
this is actually the first debate I won that the opponent DIDN'T forfeit
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
lol I barely did any research on this
Posted by ConfederateDude 2 years ago
ConfederateDude
Please, I can assure you that we are not the same user. We just happen to have very similar beliefs and we all just happen to have found debate.org. We may have similar views, but we are not the same person.
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
kbub
I'm starting to think bettabreeder, Imaconfederate, confederateDude, and DixieRebel are all the SAME USER.
Posted by bettabreeder 2 years ago
bettabreeder
Yo pro you can't ban freedom of speech or history!
Vote Placed by theunionforever61 2 years ago
theunionforever61
ConfederateDude9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: You can not say I don't support slavery but I support the Confederacy and its heritage. The Confederacy was the only nation in history to secede in an effort to protect slavery. it's whole society was built literally and figuratively, off the backs of slaves. Con is just wrong.
Vote Placed by travis18352 2 years ago
travis18352
ConfederateDude9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: con made more convincing arguments but nobody used any sources so i can only award points to con
Vote Placed by Haroush 2 years ago
Haroush
ConfederateDude9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Despite the fact I don't think the confederate flag should be banned, this was horrible job done by con. I don't want to sound mean so I will say this. You could have done much better than this.
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
ConfederateDude9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Great job Con for this being your first debate!
Vote Placed by MadisonMichelle 2 years ago
MadisonMichelle
ConfederateDude9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting.
Vote Placed by bettabreeder 2 years ago
bettabreeder
ConfederateDude9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: just becaue