miro.georgiev97
BradTheImpaler

The Continued Existence of Racism in America

miro.georgiev97

Pro

Why does racism continue to exist in the 21st century (especially in America) when it should have gone extinct a long, long time ago? Currently, it is one of the most overused, improperly used, and misinterpreted terms ever conceived in the thoughts of Homo sapiens. Racism is defined as the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races, or a prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. Oftentimes, people confuse racism with bigotry, the intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. If that is true, then we should be, in practice, bigots of racists. After all, (I hope) most of us are intolerant of racism in all of its forms, both the subtle and the blunt, the obvious and the obscure.
I believe that racism will NEVER, ever disappear so long as there is such thing as bigotry, ignorance, and hatred, elements of humanity so fundamental to the nature of human thought that the theoretical destruction of such things cannot and will not ever be possible. These things (bigotry, ignorance, and hatred) are as elementary to any person's thoughts as atoms are to the constitution of the universe. Let me try to put it a little more simply: We are all ignorant about something (or someone); we are all bigoted toward something or someone; and we all hate something or someone - it is in our nature. We cannot escape from these things; it would be illusory to think that we can. Because bigotry is a fundamental part of human thinking, racism can't be destroyed, nor can misogyny, nor can sexism, nor can homophobia, nor can any other irrational hatred or fear of something or someone. Man has tried combatting with his own profound stupidity and I say that the HUMAN "race" has failed. We will all live the rest of our lives, knowing that, one day, we may come across some stranger and find out he is a profound racist, or an unbelievable misogynist, or some other type of -ist or -phobe. Whatever that ignorant may be, the fact that you cannot change the way he/she thinks for all that is holy and true will ensure that racism will retain its immortality, gifted unto it by our imperfect, human nature.
BradTheImpaler

Con

Racism exists in America, however it has died down and is almost extinct and I believe it will do so in the near-future. Before I begin, let me give you some background about myself and my upbringing.

I was born and raised in Anderson, TX. Pop: 224. It was the idol of peace and quiet and we only had one school which students grades 1-12 attended. We knew everyone, and every family, and we were an all-white town... well, almost. You see, there was a Black family that lived there who had a son my age - they were our neighbors. They seemed quiet and afraid, as if living in such a small-conservative white town would be their downfall. My family visited them occasionally, and we sent them pies and sang to them on Christmas before I was born in '94. When I turned 7, I met Allen Jones, their son, (AJ for short) and we quickly became best friends. Because of this, our families grew closer together, and we ended up not only becoming great neighbors, but also near-family as well. One day, a man from Mississippi showed up at our town and witnessed me playing with their son at the local park. My dad was there looking after us, and the strange man walked straight up to us and called us "Negro Lovers." My dad shrugged him off and replied, "We are a loving Christian family, If you cannot see past the amount of Melanin in some of our skins, then we cannot see past your absurd bigotry. Please get out and leave us be." The man looked angry and spit at us, eventually walking away. It was my first and really, my only encounter with racism. AJ and I grew up together and we're roommates at Stanford (we were both accepted).

Now, imagine if that was fifty years ago. Would that kind of racial acceptance still be plausible? In Yankee states, maybe, but in Texas? Definitely not.

Racism is a dying disease - as the world progresses and humanity advances, racism seems to seem absurd and irrelevant. Sure, there are still some racists in the deep, deep south that live in trailer parks, dying out in Alabama, but it's gotten a lot better, and a lot more accepting. Texas, for example, is one of the most racially diverse states in the U.S.

I do think that Homo sapiens can look past racial differences and join together for the cause of humanity. The source of racism is uneducation, a bad standard of living, propaganda. All of these causes are dwindling as we shift into the new age. After all, if we were such a racist country, we wouldn't have a Black President.
miro.georgiev97

Pro

miro.georgiev97 forfeited this round.
BradTheImpaler

Con

BradTheImpaler forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Actually it went well for you. Anyone who can see things in a different light by what another says is growing. That is called maturity.
Posted by miro.georgiev97 2 years ago
miro.georgiev97
I think this argument has gone unexpectedly badly for me. I'll let BradTheImpaler take the win
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Concernedred. Couldn't have said it any better.As long as poverty pimps like al Sharpton and jesse Jackson have the ear of blacks, they wise out of their poverty. Because all they know how to do is cause strife.Reverend Al should read the bible sometime. Jesus said that where there is strife, there is confusion and every evil work. And the man that stirs up strife will cause evil.
Posted by ConcernedRed 2 years ago
ConcernedRed
racism is a bad label. When you don't like or approve of being satisfied with unemployment, or a 75% single mother household rate, or being uneducated, you are not racist. you simply do not approve. you care about your community, and work hard to make it better, and do not like to see it get worse. the black community has a long way to go, they need to stop calling everyone racist, get educated, and realize that this country will bend over backwards for anyone who wants to get up and achieve something.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Racism , like all spirits of division , are rooted in fear and hate. People tend to group themselves.There have been conflicts over nationalities, gender,color of skin, although even that was not a deciding factor. You hsd the Tutsi tribe in Africa killing hutu's, really mass murdering them. You have blacks in America killing blacks over turf. Racism is a man magnifying differences in hate.You have the male and female race, east and west race, north and south race, employer, employer race. When strife enters people can never think clearly.That is a given.
Posted by Daltonian 2 years ago
Daltonian
Ah, ok. I agree with Pro, I don't doubt that racism will always exist. How prevalent racism is in society can vary harshly, however.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Racism exists. So.The only one anyone can correct is oneself. I think that a racist puts himself at a disadvantage. Alienating a whole race because of the color of their skin. Stupid at best.But there seems to be a lack of acknowledgment that blacks in this country as racists far outnumber whites.And that is to their disadvantage. If black man comes looking for a job with me and I can tell he has a chip on his shoulder, I will not hire him. But if he comes and wants a job and will be the best he can be, I have no problem at all. In fact a chip on anyone's shoulder about almost anything will not get him a job.
Posted by miro.georgiev97 2 years ago
miro.georgiev97
For those who misunderstand, I have pretty much the same thing to say to you as well. Naturally, I didn't want to repeat verbatim or paraphrase everything I said.
Posted by miro.georgiev97 2 years ago
miro.georgiev97
I think people are a) misunderstanding my premise or b) confused. For those who are confused, here is what I have to say in order to clarify: My argument (in effect), is that racism exists and there is no way to end it in any way, because it is (or seems to be) a part of human nature, as it is a form of hate, and hate is one of the primeval emotions of the human condition. The response that I seek is somewhere on the order of either a) "I agree with you on a lot of this and that, but I disagree on this specifically", b) "I disagree with you on a lot of this and that, but I agree with this specifically", c) "I agree with everything you (or someone who agreed with you) said", or d) "I disagree with everything you (or someone who agreed with you) said." In effect, I am trying to create something of a discussion without a definitive, blunt singular "Yes" or "No" answer to my question: "Why does racism continue to exist in the 21st century (especially in America) when it should have gone extinct a long, long time ago?"
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Is it more reprehensible than lying, cheating, adultery, killing.No. In fact the racist is the one with a problem. I am cherokee indian and it does not bother me one bit if someone thinks he should have an advantage over me because of my race.Like Martin Luther King said, " lets not judge a man by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character. " I take that to heart. If Obama was to come to my door and want to visit, I would tell him he is not welcome. But if Allen West was to come to my door I would do everything I could to make him welcome. Skin color has nothing to do with any of my actions.