The Cookie Monster promotes behavior that leads to obesity.

The Cookie Monster promotes behavior that leads to obesity. Con will try to prove that the Cookie Monster's behavior does not reflect a compulsive eating disorder, and/or promotes any sort of behavior which could lead into obesity.

I will humbly accept your challenge. You see, the Cookie Monster from Sesame Street has been at times unfairly labeled as a promoter of unhealthy behaviour. Pro would have you believe that his love for his favourite snack; cookies, is encouraging unhealthy eating patterns which could lead to problems such as obesity and accompanying ailments. However I shall prove that this is not true, for such behaviour is encouraged by neglect of the parents in not choosing healthy food options and instead go with cheaper alternatives, or just the simple neglect of not caring what their child eats. While cookies may not be the healthiest food out there there are other foods being served daily that are many times worse than cookies.

I patiently await your response.

Although it may be stated that in the natural order of things, we are innately manipulative to acquire the things we want, the Cookie Monster has simply taken this to an extreme. I will prove his condition is not merely an eating disorder but an obsession and possibly an insanity. We may very well observe the Cookie Monster as in individual on one of two fronts.

Front A. As a rational being who favors cookies as oppose to other foods.

Front B. Or as an irrational being who's obsession with cookies deteriorates his interest in healthier foods.

I say that the Cookie Monster should be observed from Front B. As shown in the following video, he uses Kermit to feed his obsession with cookies. The Cookie Monster even states, and I quote "One measly cookie?" How can a friendship out of such materialism even flourish? The Cookie Monster didn't even answer the question Kermit asked correctly, and somehow the Cookie Monster uses "friendship" to obtain his objective, the cookie. As one can see, the Cookie Monster can easily comprise anything, including friendship, for his cookie. Does this not sound like the mark of an addict? Con will try to argue otherwise.

Many will manipulate to get their object of desire, it's simply the nature of the beast. If anything this segment is likely a break to provide comic relief more than anything, and while it may be questionable for Cookie Monster to use his friendship to obtain the object of his desire this in no way, shape, or form indicates any form of insanity. Furthermore it is ludicrous to link an eating disorder such as obesity to insanity for there are many obese people in society that are very rational of thought and of sound mind.

While Front A may suggest that the Cookie Monster may favour cookies opposed to other foods, this does not exclude other foods in his diet however. Everyone has their own favourite food, be it healthy or unhealthy, but this however doesn't necessary have to interfere with a healthy, balanced diet, snacks are not bad so long as they are not taken to an extreme in ones diet. The two videos I included shall prove that while Cookie Monster loves his cookies, he does in fact eat healthy food as well as promotes it. In the first video Cookie Monster is persuaded into trying healthy snacks, and takes a liking to them, proclaiming that he should and I quote "eat sweets that are good for me". In the second video, in Cookie Monster's new hit single "Healthy Foods", he heavily promotes the eating of healthy foods over eating just cookies. Clearly Cookie Monster is bringing forth a very positive message by encouraging young children into healthy eating habits and a balanced diet, something no insane and irrational individual would promote. Pro would have you believe otherwise but I believe the fact is pretty clear here that the Cookie Monster promotes healthy food in addition to his love of cookies as shown in these videos.

My opponent may continue to subject himself to the philosophy Epiphenomenalism. However he continually fails to realize that the Cookie Monster is indeed responsible for his own actions and his failure to control his eating habits. I am suggesting that there is a potentially an underlying psychological or emotional disorder at work here. This may very well stem from a plethora of things, but it is indeed apparent that the Cookie Monster does exhibit unstable behavior.

In response to the promoting of healthy foods, this is indeed a rare occasion for the Cookie Monster, it is very likely that he was offered a large sum of cash or cookies to put this promotion of healthy food. I am well aware this is only speculation but take into account that in the second video he did not eat a single healthy food. He was also persuaded to consume healthy foods by a woman. This is indeed a dilemma as to the psyche of the Cookie Monster known for his compulsive eating of cookies, now promoting healthy foods. The modus operandi of the Cookie monster is to eat cookies not to promote healthy food. This conflicts with the very nature of the Cookie Monster, infamously known for the manipulating of others to receive his gratification from eating cookies. So the question becomes, does the Cookie Monster truly back healthy foods? I think not, but con will argue otherwise.

This is obviously out of his character. What is in his character, however, is his addiction to cookies. To further fortify my arguments, in the video I provide the Cookie Monster goes through rampant mood swings and has a difficult time handling his emotional response to the the visual stimuli of food. Con may very well argue that he does indeed exhibit some form of restrain in saving the first cookie from being devoured.This would be an extremely weak argument however,as the ramifications for devouring the cookie gives the cookie monster pleasure. Once the cookie is consumed, the pleasure factor goes down, only to be matched with devouring of more cookies. This is a telltale sign of any addict once the pleasure factor goes down, it needs to be matched only with more of the substance whether it is chemical, emotional, psychological or otherwise.

Without even being the Cookie Monster's physician,
I will venture to make the Prognosis that the Cookie Monster suffers from a form of

"Benign Eater disorder "

"Studies suggest that people with binge eating may have trouble handling some of their emotions.
Many people who are binge eaters say that being angry, sad, bored, worried"

Citation -

As I have attempted to demonstrated though the video, the Cookie Monster has had a difficult time
handling his emotional response to the visual stimuli of the cookie. The Cookie Monster continually
disregards the well being and interests of others or manipulates others to receive his cookies. Beyond the
measure of unhealthy foods, the way by which the Cookie Monster devours his food is extremely unsafe and unrecommended. Con will try to prove otherwise, but I highly doubt he can. I await your response.

In regards to Pro's statement that the Cookie Monster is indeed responsible for his own actions, I never stated that he was absolved or otherwise immune to being responsible for his own actions, this is a mere assumption. As for the Cookie Monster exhibiting unstable behaviour, I believe this to be another uncalled for shot upon his character. The Cookie Monster does exhibit some eccentric quirks however he is neither unstable nor is he insane. I would also like to add that these outrageous claims of the Cookie Monster being bribed into promoting healthy foods by payment of cash or cookies are absolutely ridiculous and completely unfounded. You provide me the footage that the Cookie Monster was bribed and I'll sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, needless to say I doubt any such claim is able to be backed with any form of proof.

While it is true that the Cookie Monster has a love for cookies, I would stop short of calling it an addiction, and I have already previously provided proof that the Cookie Monster promotes healthy food as well as cookies. A woman persuading him has nothing to do with the situation, it could've very well have been a male pitching the idea of healthier eating to him as well, but that's not how the segment was written. Male or female, the point was driven across regardless of the promotion of healthier eating. The pleasure he garners from consuming the cookies is merely his fondness for sweets.

Now I'm not a physician mind you, nor is my opponent Pro, but my prognosis for the cookie monster is: sweet tooth,

What is a sweet tooth?

sweet tooth - n. Informal
A fondness or craving for sweets.

A sweet tooth is far from a severe mental condition or form of insanity. Many people both young and old have a fondness for sweets no matter their age, sex, or creed.

As for promoting healthy food being out of the Cookie Monster's character, this is not true. The Cookie Monster is part of a children's educational show Sesame Street, and being part of such educational programming, it would be in the creator(s) best interest to educate children in a way that is both fun and entertaining. In such a show there are many different characters and personalities, each with their own quirks and traits. Cookie Monster, while he does have a sweet tooth, definition explained above, does not mean that the producer(s) of the show would neglect the educational aspect of the program. In the videos in my previous response Cookie Monster indisputably promoting healthy food, however he doesn't lose his sweet tooth at all either. Cookie Monster is a patron of sorts for cookies, but as part of educational programming a positive message must also be spread to the target audience. As for Cookie Monster's response in Pro's video, it is mainly a comical expression of Cookie Monster's impulsiveness or even forgetfulness which is clearly exaggerated for comical effect. To compare Cookie Monster on the level of an addict is really demeaning and slanderous in an attempt to stray away from the original argument on whether or not the Cookie Monster promotes behaviour the leads to obesity, not his mental stability or sanity. If you wish to discuss mental stability or sanity, I would like to refer you to the topic of whether or not Elmo from Sesame Street is mentally stable, one such debate I would hope you remember.

My Opponent often fails to realize that I am not debating on the basis of the Cookie Monster sanity, but on the basis of the Cookie Monster addiction to cookies. If he wishes to continue to use straw man arguments so be it, but they won't help them against my arguments. If he wishes to sugarcoat the situation and not call it an addiction, then that would be to downplay any addicts addiction to anything. To make the snide remake of calling it merely a "sugar tooth" is equivalent to saying that the 9/11 Hijackers were merely disoriented and happen to crash into the Twin Towers on accident. I am well aware that, the consequences of the Cookie Monster's addiction have obviously lead him to obesity, and may very well lead him to other health problems later in life. One needs only to look no further than to find the Health Consequences to obesity

Research has shown that as weight increases to reach the levels referred to as "overweight" and "obesity,"* the risks for the following conditions also increases:1

* Coronary heart disease
* Type 2 diabetes
* Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
* Hypertension (high blood pressure)
* Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
* Stroke
* Liver and Gallbladder disease
* Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
* Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint)
* Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)

If my opponent really did indeed care about the Cookie Monster then he would be encouraging him not to eat cookie's at this alarming rate. I know however, my opponent does not care about the Cookie Monster and he will allow him to eat until, God forbid, he dies of a stroke, heart attack or cancer. I am not by any means saying that it will lead to this, but at the rate the Cookie Monster eats cookies it is very likely. On average a chocolate chip cookie made with margarine contains 138 calories, the Cookie Monster has been seen devouring numerous cookies without any consideration for his health. Just imagine multiplying those calories by the span of the years he is alive, not only does it appear cookies are his favorite food but it appears to be the only food he enjoys eating. Why would the Cookie Monster be known as the Cookie Monster if it weren't for his addiction to cookies? Not only does the empirical evidence weigh on my side, but even the theoretical is on my side as well. Simply by speculating we can come to the fact that at the rate the Cookie Monster consumes his cookies, and the by the weight he has, he is defiantly headed for some serious health problems later in life. For as an observer of this debate one needs to realize the rate of consumption the cookie monster eats and the current weight of the cookie monster, both factors are going to contribute to an unhealthy cookie monster without a doubt.

It is extremely obvious, just as the culprits hands are blood red, so too is the cookie monster's behavior. It would be sheer nonsense to even suggest that the Cookie Monster does not promote behavior that leads to obesity. This is truly the fundamental essence of the Cookie Monster, what his named after, lives for and is born to do. We must come to our senses here and embrace that unless he obtains a reasonable eating regime, he will perish along with the rest of everyone that looks up too him. Everyone shall be torn down in the process, and that is how easy the human mind is to influence, do not let con persuade you otherwise, the evidence clearly points without a reasonable doubt that the Cookie Monster promotes behavior that does lead to obesity. I will restate my points,

Point 1. The Cookie Monster is a Benign eater

Point 2. The Cookie Monster overindulges in cookies

Point 3. The Cookie Monster does not eat his food properly.

Point 4. The Cookie Monster manipulates others to obtain cookies.

Conclusion, The Cookie Monster promotes behavior that leads to obesity.

Also we must realize that an individual who is looking for "cookies" in a library must have an extremely distorted perspective of reality or contains the mark of an addict.

Vote Pro

My opponent is clearly exaggerating the Cookie Monster's sweet tooth and love of cookies to the point of calling it an addiction, this is simply not true. As I have stated before, and will state again, the Cookie Monster in addition to his love for cookies have also endorsed and encouraged healthy foods and healthy eating behaviour. A mere addict would not champion such a cause if it conflicted with him in the first place, it would be likened to a cocaine user advocating abstinence from drugs, it would simply not make sense. If the Cookie Monster was indeed an addict then he would not have offered his endorsement and encouragement of eating healthy foods and healthy food choices, nor would he have consumed the food in the first place, in regards to the first video. The consumption of the healthy foods in the first video solidifies the fact that the Cookie Monster is capable and willing to enjoy other foods aside from his favourite cookies. In the second video, in his song "Healthy Foods" he has said, and I quote the lyrics:

"When me filling up plate,
Taking only cookies is all wrong!
'Cause you also got to eat
Fruit or veggies and meat
If you want to be healthy and strong!"

Also later in the song I would like to again take another quote:

Me promise that when you eat varied menu,
You get more out of every meal.
You need balanced diet,
Come on and try it!
Not believe how great you'll feel!

Clearly a strong message such as that would not be muttered by an addict as Pro has tried to demonize him as such. I will give Pro credit for accurately describing the health factors which associate obesity, however my praise for his argument stops there. Cookie Monster is not obese as he has promoted a healthy lifestyle of balanced diet and healthy food choices. It's ok to enjoy snacks on occasion, and the Cookie Monster is a good example of this, bringing to life the childlike enjoyment of sweets, as a good majority of children had, or even still have upon growing up and maturing. As for Cookie Monster's consumption of cookies at the rate he does, i would like to bring to the attention of the nutritional value of a single, 1 oz cookie.

Serving Size (g): 11
Calories Per Serving: 54
Calories from Fat: 20
Total Fat (g): 2
Saturated Fat (g): 1
Trans Fat: 0
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 58
Potassium (mg): N/A
Total Carbohydrate (g): 8
Dietary Fiber (g): 0
Sugars (g): 5
Protein (g): 1

At first glance this would not appear to be the most healthy choice one could choose for a snack, and I will admit healthier alternatives exist. However if the Cookie Monster did truly promote behaviour that lead to obesity and related ailments, he would consume and endorse the Fast Food Industry? Why Fast Food as an unhealthy choice and not cookies? This answer is very simple, fast food has been notorious for being America's choice for a fast meal ticket. After work, events, or simply travel many, Americans especially, flock to fast food counters and driveways from far and wide for a quick, convenient meal. However it is this choice that I would suspect of being the culprit to the rise of obesity, and behaviours that encourage obesity, and not cookies. Lets take Jack In the Box, a popular fast food chain available in 18 states for example. At this time I would like to provide nutritional values for the Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger, a popular item amongst patrons of this particular fast food chain.

Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger

Serving Size (g): 301
Calories Per Serving: 940
Calories from Fat: 590
Total Fat (g): 66
Saturated Fat (g): 27
Trans Fat: 3
Cholesterol (mg): 125
Sodium (mg): 1840
Potassium (mg): 480
Total Carbohydrate (g): 45
Dietary Fiber (g): 2
Sugars (g): 10
Protein (g): 41

(also available for download in PDF format)

In comparison, the Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger can damage one's balanced diet much more than a mere cookie could ever hope to do, and you take this into account with how popular fast food has become, the results can be staggering to say the least. With the difference in nutritional values between the two, I have taken the liberty to comprise an example of the amount of cookies that would need to be consumed to meet or exceed the value of a one Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger.

Serving Size (g): 308 (28 cookies)
Calories Per Serving: 972 (18 cookies)
Calories from Fat: 600 (30 cookies
Total Fat (g): 66 (33 cookies)
Saturated Fat (g): 27 (27 cookies)
Trans Fat: 0
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 1856 (32 cookies)
Potassium (mg): N/A
Total Carbohydrate (g): 48 (6 cookies)
Dietary Fiber (g): 0
Sugars (g): 10 (2 cookies)
Protein (g): 41 (41 cookies)

As one could clearly see, in all categories besides sugars and total carbohydrates and nutritional values such as potassium which do not apply in said example, one would need to consume an unreasonable amount of cookies to meet and/or exceed the above values of an Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger. Combine this with the fact that there are people who will order and even consume two Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburgers in one setting dwarfs the negatives of cookies consumed by the Cookie Monster or anyone in general for that matter.

According to "the finding of the latest Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, which shows that 63.1% of adults in the U.S. were either overweight or obese in 2009."

Is such a trend a result of Cookie Monster and his fondness for cookies? I think not, the true culprit here for obesity and trends and behaviours that lead to obesity is not cookies, nor is it the Cookie Monster, but Fast Food Companies. However the effects of Fast Food on the health of Americans is a debate for another day. Con rests its case, with the facts and statistics provided before you, there is only one reasonable action one can take from here on out.

[X] Vote Con.
Posted by Freedizzle1 6 years ago
Tell me why now, does no one address the fact that the cookie monster uses incorrect grammar? Me like cookies? ?????
Posted by Atheism 6 years ago
I hate how debates like this are overlooked. They may be by "unknown" people. but they are incredible and very good.
Posted by tvellalott 6 years ago
COOOOOOOOOOOOKKIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *num num num num num*
Vote Placed by Dingo7 6 years ago
Vote Placed by ArtTheWino 6 years ago