ghissong
holyyakker

The DH(designated hitter) is the worst possible thing to happen to baseball

Started: 10/8/2008 Category: Sports

ghissong

Pro

Since its inclusion in baseball in 1973 the designated hitter has been a bad taste in the mouth of baseball. Why should the pitcher in the AL be allowed to rest half the game when the NL still plays actual baseball?
holyyakker

Con

There are far to many things that could happen to baseball that would be far worse. Things that have happened that are worse include:

- Their refusal to more widely accept replay technology for more wide uses than merely to rule on home runs and spectator interference.
- The rampant use of illicit drugs have done much more damage to the sport than the designated hitter rule.
- The player strike of 1994 also was far more damaging, it showed the rampant greed of many players and sullied the good nature of the sport.

The rule was first implemented to help bolster the hitting line-up as teachers were typically weak hitters. It is also a completely optional rule and it not required in any game, the coach can always elect to allow the pitcher to hit. The popularity of the rule is evidenced by the fact that is has been accepted by virtually all professional, amateur, and collegiate leagues. The only notable exceptions to the designated hitter rule are the National League and the Central League of the Nippon Professional Division. It is hard to believe it is such a horrible thing for baseball if it is widely accepted by the vast majority of leagues and considered a postivie change.
ghissong

Pro

ghissong forfeited this round.
holyyakker

Con

Since my opponent forfeited the last round I will summarize my current arguments and position.

The DH rule is not the worst possible thing to happen to baseball. This is evident because several leagues have adopted it since its inception in 1973. It is considered by many to increase the excitement of the game rather than having pitchers, who are typically viewed as weak hitters, take up space in the batting order. One could also argue that the inclusion of a designated hitter increases the role of strategy in creating an effective batting order.

Finally for my opponent to win this debate he must not only prove that the DH rules is a bad rule, he must also prove that it is the worst possible thing to happen to baseball. I have already listed three other scandals that have brought far greater harm to baseball than the DH rule. In order to win my opponent must somehow show that the rampant use of steroids, the failure to adapt the adjudication process to include cameras, or the player strike 1994 did not do greater harm to baseball than the DH rule.

I hope that in the next round my opponent can begin to respond since he has a great deal of work ahead of him.
ghissong

Pro

ghissong forfeited this round.
holyyakker

Con

Forfeiting this round to give my opponent a reasonable chance to respond.
ghissong

Pro

ghissong forfeited this round.
holyyakker

Con

See Above.
ghissong

Pro

ghissong forfeited this round.
holyyakker

Con

holyyakker forfeited this round.
Posted by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
I would love to debate this once we finish our other debate.

The faster we debate that, the faster we can debate this.
Vote Placed by holyyakker 8 years ago
holyyakker
ghissongholyyakkerTied